• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!
We recently bought two of these to replace the 17 year old incandescent bulbs that light up under our microwave. I swear they flash, even when not dimmed and makes the stove top look like a television screen. Although, bright, they're "cold" feeling. I'm about to replace them, just because it's strange to me. I thought I recalled health effects (negative) from them in an article I once read, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Although it has some pop-ins this site is the TEXT of the video.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/10/23/near-infrared-led-lighting.aspx

One should read the fine print on LED bulbs as "General Purpose" LED GE light bulbs have "Not suitable for totally enclosed fixtures" written on them. WTF is "General Purpose" again, GE? Like Clinton attempting to define sex?

Flicker of lights is more of a concern to those who experience Migraines and epilepsy aka seizures triggered by lighting flicker. I find some LED's to be more prone to flicker than high frequency electronic florescent ballasts. The 60HZ magnetic florescent ballasts demonstrate that lighting can be used as a weapon on people to debilitate them. Flicker vertigo, best example you commonly find with a shit design ceiling fan placement chopping up the light source above it, is blamed for helicopter crashes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker_vertigo

With a noisy power line incandescent lights can also flicker. Oddly quality high frequency florescent ballasts are able to overcome noisy power and remain flicker free in situations like this.

The ability of a 60 HZ florescent light source to make an induction motor look like it isn't running is legendary: stroboscopic effect. Make sure LED lighting doesn't make _Your_ moving machinery appear to stand still!

The LED lights on top of Police Cars are a true public safety hazard completely blinding drivers at night especially those attempting to pass by and not get any of the situation on them. I really feel for LEO's with the unnecessary extra danger the driver blinding LED's put LEO's in. Let alone the poor blinded bastard who runs into something...

"Blue Blocker" Driving glasses, computer screen filters as well as hand held device screens using LED back lit screens are the best defense for your eyes.

From what I have gathered interior LED lighting is BAD unless blue filter is used.

With exception to the microwave lights I mentioned, all our house lighting is incandescent and halogen. We have CFL in the garage and barn and both of them might go by the wayside soon. By the time the lights are warmed up to give off enough light, chores are done. Garage is usually just on so we can walk through, to go outdoors, then it's off.

I have been learning about led lighting for some years now out of interest and I will be learning boat loads about this over the next year. I keep my tinfoil hat tight and in invisible mode most of the time in the real world- but I already know some of the fine details are not what they are presented as.

The casing the diode is cast in has massive affects. There are so many led's made that are not safe for human vision with out eye protection it is amazing- but the specific led casing makes them complete different worlds.

I dont have anything specific I can post as examples, but it's like when a professional mechanic is interviewed and discredits diesel engines all together as worse than gasoline because more hydrocabon burned per work produced than gasoline. He does have some validity, in a round about way. Or maybe, he only works on toyotas and wants more people in them, and since they only have gas engines here...

A lot of information is being pushed by competition from companies like when the steam engine cars were talking about gasoline cars being "explosion engines" that carry liquid bomb material right above the explosion area. Misinformation is still a well used marketing tactic.

I posted this on a "Trump" thread and will copy it here:

I just started a new job, and there is an electrician thier retiring early. He started a led light bulb company, and they are built in china, I looked into it a bit, everyone I can find is built in china. He is currently getting the assembly plant moved to the US. I asked him Tuesday is Trump affecting him on this. He said Yes, the 35% thing would affect him but since his will be assembled in USA soon, it won't long term if it all (depends when inacted) hurt him. He sure had some pride in his voice saying he will be able to say assembled in USA.

For now it seems many of the parts will still come from one her countries, but he said- one step at a time- and sounded hopeful for the future.

I barely met the guy and didn't have a lot of time to talk to him about it, but told him thanks for bringing what he can to US soil for more jobs here. He smiled.

I need some exterior lighting for my house. I know who I will buy my next led lights from.

Something I didn't mention on the other post is my new job will have me converting various commercial ligh fixtures to led. Its a gubmint job of sorts, and the lights are all in use in restricted areas where only gubmint employees are subject to them, but my new boss going through the details of electric savings and by the longer life, the taxpayer saves big $. It isn't that there will be a rebate for people, nor does it all happen at once. But 10 years down the road, people get to keep some more $ in their pocket.

The division I work for actually doesnt even cost people money, the entire operation is self funded by the savings it creates, and contributes back to the local system on top of it- something everyone there is proud of. I had to do some research myself before being willing to suck off the gubmint tit. Once I saw there are parts of the gubmint that are self funding I really wanted to work in that arena.

Some light output from halogens are way more damaging to the retna than most led because of uv output. Halogen seems brighter per watt because it hits a broader spectrum- but keep in mind the broadest spectrum takes it into ultraviolet and infrared. The prcessor and the incasement of the led can control it much better, but it is up to the manufacturer to do so- something ot even capable in halogen, metal halide, and yes- good old tungsten. Remember the good old 100% tungsten bulbs that last forever and a day?- yeah research macular degeneration and tungsten. One last thing- the sun...

A lot of research is being done with newer technologies as they release, as well it should be. But there are problems with this- the scare factor. While led lights are currently a heavily studied light on affects for humans, the worst thing out there for us all is still, the sun. You have to compare the negatives of the new thing to the old thing and choose the least damaging as a whole.

As for the cheap crappy led that can create almost half as many problems as a carbon arc (yeah ive used those too) be an informed customer and learn which to buy and which not to. Or push for legislation mandating the safer levels are met, because currently they are not in place enough to even stop open air arc lighting- something akin to refleced welding light- a thing the soviet union was playing with in the 80's.

Only thing I care about is the immediate hazard to some people of the damn flicker and the blinding emergency vehicle lighting noted above. Short term put people in a hospital NOW! Both are largely ignored by low bidder - no a laws holding a GUN to their heads. Christmas Lights are a good example of the worst 30 HZ flicker source on some brands. 30 HZ is 1/2 of the main power line 60 HZ because a LED is a DC diode: used without a rectifier bridge it's off half the time on AC. (Driver circuits as they are known.)

To some sensitive people some LED's do flicker and it's uncomfortable leading to to Migraines or seizures. The lucky ones get warning and can leave the area before they have a seizure. Some people are more sensitive than others and being tired makes the flicker more noticeable for whatever reason. Some people have to use the ADA act to get their employers to change lighting so they can stay employed.

I have spent a good part of my working life dealing with CRT computer monitors. I have lost count of the number or Fing worthless video card manufactures where you can't adjust the refresh rate over 60 HZ. Regardless the same lost count is the number of user's lives I have touched by eliminating their end of the day headache by setting the refresh rate of the now obsolete CRT's to over 72 HZ. 75HZ or the highest the monitor would support generally had better results. There is a European standard out there that Americans are simply too ignorant to bother with. Both simply not knowing about it or willful ignorance of it. (Doesn't bother me, I don't sit in front of it 8+ hours like my employees do, so what? Why would I put that spec in the low bidder government contract?) CRT's should be dead and good riddance, but, they are still found in some places.

One of the best examples of showing flicker is high speed photography where your "action shots" of a game etc. are dark. This problem was used to demonstrate LED bulb flicker:

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/which-led-light-bulbs-flicker-the-least-pictures/

The only legislation we do have, mandating more efficient bulbs, put ~200 people out of work making the old 100w, 75w, 60w etc. when GE closed the USA plant. Remember the 4 bulbs for a buck prices? I can buy a LOT of electric power for today's INSANE prices on low life high efficiency halogen, CFL's and LED bulbs! Of course the cheap glowing filament bulbs had to go away to make us buy the expensive ones.

The Thermal Inertia of the glowing filament makes the AC power flicker problem non-existent. Electronic ballasts that run at 20,000 HZ along with the afterglow of phosphors on a "Good" bulb minimize flicker vs. the 60 HZ magnetic ballasts we were plagued with since florescent lamps came out.

You will find it interesting that some LED bulbs use royal blue LED's and then a phosphor to generate light a similar way florescent lights do. http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C...odules/XLamp/White-Papers/Remote-Phosphor.pdf

Interesting that Cree has "Made in USA" on their LED bulbs. Some part of the final assembly of foreign parts in The USA?

Some research and industry standards for LED flicker:

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED Components and Modules/XLamp/White Papers/Flicker.pdf

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/article...erstand-the-lighting-flicker-frustration.html

@WarWagon (and everyone) about to read all the stuff from you latest post. But back to "general enclosure" vs "sealed enclosure"
A sealed enclosure is one that does not allow air to freely come in contact with the bulb like a fiture that is used in an dusty area. The dust particles MAY be flammable, so the fixture seals off all outside air from getting to the bulb, ballast,etc. It is only exposed to the air when servicing like replacing a bad bulb, for which the power should be off.
The next step higher is sealed explosion proof fixture like in a paint booth where it is LIKELY GOING to be exposed to explosive fumes or chemicals. If Flammable paint fumes get in contact with the hot fixture or where sparking may occur and boom goes Paul the painter, so sealed to a higher level.

A general enclosure is anything other than those two, meaning whatever is in your home, unless you really worry about the wifes cooking-haha- wait, dont tell my wife I said that.

You know computers and the heat being bad for them, lower quality led bulbs cannot shed the heat in an enclosed fixture well enough so they fry the drivers. Because of his they will state a general enclosure so the air flow will help disperse the heat.

Funny thing a out led light warranties: almost all of them offer huge warranty on the led, but the led almost never is why they quit working. It is the driver which in reading fine print, is not covered.

I am somewhat familiar with drivers, and very familiar with flicker rates and siezure problems. back in high school i was the theater lighting guy, and did part time jobs doing it (dont like it as long term profession with kids at home). There is simple components in place to keep Larry the light guy from flickering his lights in a show at the wrong rate causing the audience & performers to go nuts in a show. Our older systems were analog controlled, but still had to use contlers to stop the issue.

This is part if why I laugh at the guy saying DC cant cause it, or incandescent cant cause it. Up until the late 90's, thats what caused most of them.

They might beat us on the metric system but,
The US using 60hz vs rest of the world isnt the issue, it is a bi-delta pattern and why our systems waste far less electricity that the rest of the world- we have it right on that one.

Using a cheaply built low cost two wire christmas light on a crap driver causing the flicker is on the people not willing to buy higher quality - instead its "Oh, look $9.99 instead of 11.99, lets get this." Government regulation, as much as I hate it, is probably our best bet to stop producing this junk with bad effects.

My Christmas tree lights (incandescent) have a controller to set a flash rate from off to on non stop. I actually pulled out my meter when playing with it years ago- infinite setting from once a second to solid on- that means I can tune it to the siezure setting- no box warning that I recall.

Going back and watch the original video, some of the parts made me laugh.

When they talk about you don't know what you get with LED, but incandescent that you do. They mention 1000 hour life incandescent, but Learning what I did in high school,a couple college classes, and when I worked at PRG (worldwide & largest production company) about it: The make up of the filament DRASTICALLY alters infrared and uv output, along with the type of glass, and coating of the glass drastically alter is it. Yes halogen is technically an incandescent, but lightwaves are crazy different. The German guy pushes halogen the other guy says he uses normal incandescents. Sorry boys- SOO MUCH more infrared light is there.

The dirty AC current and clean DC current, he needs to go talk to any certified electrician to get set straight on that. DC holds same problems. The ALTERNATIVE action in the current is at 60hz in the US. Compulsory waves to the human brain are well under 20hz- central on 13 iirc. DC has a frequency pulse drive too, anyone Ever get a buzz in your high powered subwoofer of a car stereo when the engine is off- yup thats it, much deeper (lower frequency than 60hz), notice it only comes out your subs...

He mentioned our ancestors not dealing with digital light and it's problems. Where to begin? Sun in the day dark at night. How did they ever survive the night without incandescent lights shining on them while they slept. Too far back? Flickering candle light at night, well excepted to be the worst thing to read or see by according to every optometrist Ever! They talk about how the infrared light passes through your clothing and into your skin and is so important, but at night this Dr wears blue blockers on his eyes To protect him.
The other guy uses on DC power on low voltage halogen (hint here- the glass needed for halogen is not used on regular bulbs). This alters the wavelenght halfway through the blue spectrum and everything below it- any lighting stage hands here? You get it with his: Why the perma gel went away with the carbon arc. It would take me weeks to explain it, sorry everyone else. Just know that silcone made glass alters the spectrum way different than quartz.

The fact that the German dr. beats up on the frequency in ac current- never mind our ac frquency is way off of his in the eu, and can anyone tell me what happens to rectified ac into dc current? Like if you change your house hold ac into a dc current then feed light or sound off it? No bueno Jose. You need to charge your batteries. Then disconnect the charger, then pull the electricity from the batteries with out the use of any capacitor or diode to get a straight wave. So how is he turning down the voltage to a low light level?

If infrared is the snake oil you seek to curb your woes, go get a friggin french fry light and lay down under it- i think, just maybe, there are one or two dermatologists out there that have an opinion on that. HAHAHA

Im not trying to say there is no issue at all here. Mitochondria is the main thing they're looking at in cell disruption for heart disease- maybe fat intake has something to do with it also.

But I relate the 2 Dr oppinions of it to food allergies. My oldest brother was allergic to eggs, milk, and peanuts at amazing levels. My younger sister is allergic to almost every type of food and food additive known to man. Her diet inthe last 3 years is almost exclusively- yep, eggs and a specific brand of peanut butter. Not allowed any soda her two drinks are water and milk. How do I relate it to LED?

What one needs, kills the other. Brother and sister. Could LED or otherwise ger flashing light cause a siezure in some people- YEP- seen it happen.
But these two drs act like it is going to cause you to die or deteriorate your health so bad. "15 seconds without..." STFU!!!
If you all can't recognize the beginning of a pitch by use of a scare tactic, I will help- this is one.

I've delt with Dr's that are world leading in growth for affected family. One of the first things they all teach is anyone who has not had their growth plates close yet should sleep 12 hours a day in total darkness.

Dr Germany here wants you to navigate your home at night by dc fed haolgen light (I forgot to ask, halogen with or without the iodine in it - because that makes massive difference in low light frequency too and you know, patents and all...) that is only as bright as 1 candle power. Find me 1 optometrist and 1 ER Dr working the night shift that agree wih that.

It is their opinion and like as.... um left thumbs, everyone has one. If you suffer from light related siezures, avoid artificial light all together, and never ride in a helicopter.

I will continue learning, but when someone comes on a 6.5 forum talking about how they are the strongest lowerend built diesels that handle starting fluid just fine, and really should be considered a great tacing engine it is obvious they bumped their head. When one or two guys come in and say they are going to reengineer the pmd and cure it of all it's woes- many will subscribe and watch anxiously. To others here they have traveled this road before. We'll see. If led users start dropping like flies- the surviving group will know better.

Back