• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Learned a painful lesson doing an oil pan gasket.

Acesneights1

Reaction score
So I did the oil pan gasket on my CUCV and I left it sit overnight without putting the oil back so the snot would dry good. Got home today filled it with oil and started it up...
No friggin Oil Pressure. I shut it right off. Checked the oil. It was full. I tried again. No il pressure. Truck was making a weird noise from underneath. I'm thinking Oh shit, I must have left a rag in the oil pan or maybe I used too much snot and it got stuck in the screen. So I rip the oil pan back off. everything looks fine. So I yank the oil pump off and put it in a bucket of oil and run it with a drill. Works fine. I inspect the drive gear. Looks good. Call Advance, no gasket in stock. I grab a brand new Oil pan set I had for a 6.5td. Gasket is exactly the same , only the rear rubber is bigger so since the rear rubber in there was brand new. I cleaned it and re snotted and used the 6.5 gasket. Put it altogether and I think, maybe cause I let it sit over night with no oil it lost prime ?? But it should have primed itself back up as soon as I started it. I decide before I reinstall the vac pump(on a 6.2 it is the drive for the oil pump) I fill the engine with oil through the vac pump drive hole so it does not get on the front of the pan gasket since the snot is not dry and that area is a direct hit when filling it through the filler neck. I then take my drill and prime the oil system(1.4 drive ex with a 5/16) and I feel resistance after doing it for a bit. Start it up and viola..Got oil pressure. Hopefully I did not damage the engine. Moral of this story, if you let the engine sit for more than a few hours with no oil Prime it....:eek:

yup. My K-5 has the same problem when i pulled the pan down. I didn't start it though. Just cranked it with the IP wire off. Never got pressure, until i pulled a vacuum on the turbo oil feed line to pull the oil into the pickup and into the gears. After the 3rd time i had to rip the pan down, i packed petrolium jelly in the pump gears of the oil pump, and had instant oil pressure when i cranked the engine over.

Little trick a friend taught me, that he learned from an old gearhead.

Doesn't help much now, but you should have pulled the oil filter off and spun it over. Sometimes the oil pump will get air locked and removing the oil filter will allow it to clear and pump as it takes about 5 PSI of pressure to overcome the anti drainback valve in some filters.

Nice. I just used a long 1/4 inch drive ext with a 5/16 socket. I wrapped electrical tape around the socket so it couldn't fall off.

You could take the teeth off with your new lathe instead of a grinder.

Back