• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lbz knock

Interesting. So it's twice more difficult replacing it? Or 4 times more for us mechanically challenged folks?
There's a DIY on it somewhere in that section. It's somewhat complicated it seems but not much more than a cam timing belt change on a gasser.
Unbolt a bunch of stuff, change the pump, bolt a bunch of stuff back on. Wash hands, fire up truck, admire your work, drink a pop or beer, clean and put away the tools, go for a test drive... All done!
No I have not needed to do one as yet.

I believe that DMax water pumps have been gear drive from the beginning.
correct

Interesting. So it's twice more difficult replacing it? Or 4 times more for us mechanically challenged folks?
correct

There's a DIY on it somewhere in that section. It's somewhat complicated it seems but not much more than a cam timing belt change on a gasser.
Unbolt a bunch of stuff, change the pump, bolt a bunch of stuff back on. Wash hands, fire up truck, admire your work, drink a pop or beer, clean and put away the tools, go for a test drive... All done!
No I have not needed to do one as yet.

you make it sound so easy...

GM's biggest design flaw of this pump was where they located one of the bolts...behind the harmonic balancer :mad2:...It has to be pulled as part of the unbolt a bunch of things instructions given above :cuss:

I switched to a Stewart EMP electric pump just so I could change my water pump easily should it ever go out...:cool:

I was making the point that failure is infrequent... fortunately.
I'm in no hurry to find out the actual difficulty but at near 200k miles I'm not real worried about much of anything. It's a better truck overall than I ever could have imagined 20 or so years ago.

I was making the point that failure is infrequent... fortunately.
I'm in no hurry to find out the actual difficulty but at near 200k miles I'm not real worried about much of anything. It's a better truck overall than I ever could have imagined 20 or so years ago.

Don't jinx yourself with that comment...to put in McRats wording "Is there any Dmax water pump that doesn't leak?" (or something to that effect)

It may be more common than you think because of your good fortune...but it also maybe more common on trucks that are turned up a good bit...

It's like someone is spinning a roulette wheel...you just cant put your finger on the failures and who it's going to land on next...

same goes for Dmax flexplates...stock failures and turned up failures...they've seen em' all...

Flexplates are not common breakages...but...they have seen them on both stock and turned up trucks...I'm guessing it is obviously random defective parts...

Having to drop/lift my nv4500...4-5 times, once by myself, that task sounds absolutely horrible :(

Not saying this would keep me from purchasing a newer truck. Just stating the obvious.

Back