• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Larger Tire Equals Better Fuel Economy?

Woody35

Reaction score
Currently I have 265/75/16 uniroyal liberators a/t that are almost worn all the way. Im going to college in Maine in the fall and going to Canada for a fishing trip in a week so my driving is going to switch from mostly in town to mostly on the highway and in the woods.

My question is would a larger tire help my fuel economy on the highway since it will drop my rpms a little bit? Or am I past the point of where the bigger tire over stock helps fuel economy and the weight of the tire is actually going to reduce it? I am looking at 285/75/16 tires right now as options. Thanks for the help.

get 235/85 16's your mpg WILL improve

235/85/16's are a good choice for highway. Lowering teh RPM's can help milage, but the wider tire hurts milage. The 235/85/16 is about the same height as the 265/75/16's you have, but are narrower than the stock 245/75/16's. It's more about rolling resistance than height when it comes to tire sizes.

With you 3.42 gears bigger than 32's (265/75 or 235/85) will not help. It may not hurt much and the truck will do fine but i doubt it will help.

Back