• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Larger fuel tank for the 6.5TD

DieselCash

Trust but, verify
Staff member
Reaction score
I have always wanted a larger fuel tank for my truck. The most fuel I have ever got into the tank is 24.5 gallons. I was watching Stacey David GearZ on YouTube were he is working on a project called Heavy Metal Tow Truck. He was installing special fuel tanks on it. He got some of the stuff to mount it to the tow truck from Rick's Stainless Tanks. They state to make custom fuel tanks. I am just probably not wanting to know the cost. Here is a link'

http://rickstanks.com/index.php

I would like to have more fuel capacity without giving up spare tire our bed space. I have yet to this day found anyplace that makes a larger than factory tank for our beloved 6.5TD.

I got about 22.5 gallons of extra capacity by utilizing the in cab fuel tank from a '67-'72 vintage chevy truck. I removed the back seat from my crew cab, but I imagine with a bit of modification one might be able to gut the rear side of the seat back to make it go together. Or perhaps even rig a custom tank under the back seat, but it might be a bit less capacity.

I used the stock sending unit in the old tank, mounted an airtex gasser style electric pump on the bottom of the cab, and plumbed the line to the vent on the main tank on the frame. Wired a switch to the left side of the driver seat frame. I have "in flight" refueling, although only about 3/4 of a tank. It takes about twenty minutes to transfer the fuel from the auxiliary to the main tank while going down the road.

Might not be anyone else's cup of tea, but it's an idea to perhaps kick around. BTW, that old fuel tank fits against the back wall of the cab in my '94 like it was made to be there.

Looks like 93 could have been a 22, 25, 31, or 34(the 22 and 31 were optioned together for cab and chassis models). ROCKAUTO sells a 34 for $103. If it wasn't for the spare tire, I think some have swapped in the SUBURBAN 42 behind the rear axle, or the 31 bolts right in.

My brother has a 43 gal Burb tank inplace of spare tire and the stock 35 gal tank. Burb tank is fairly easy to install, but not a plug & play deal.

Hey Marty, I got a 32 gallon from our local wrench a part. After I welded up the hole they punched in it, I have 32 gallons on tap. Then I put a 75 gallon tank and tool box combo in the bed.

Hey Marty, I got a 32 gallon from our local wrench a part. After I welded up the hole they punched in it, I have 32 gallons on tap. Then I put a 75 gallon tank and tool box combo in the bed.

That is a good idea, on the wrecking yard part. I can not put anything in my bed because of my current camper.

If the tank is for the crew cab you can put a 34 gallon in it. My 93 crew cab dually 4x4 has the 34 gallon stock. If you want pictures I can put the truck up on the hoist in my garage and take pictures for you. I also have a spare tank in my parts truck right now I can take pictures of that so you can see the top side also. My truck has a stock 34 gal tank and a 100 gallon aux tank in the bed.

If the tank is for the crew cab you can put a 34 gallon in it. My 93 crew cab dually 4x4 has the 34 gallon stock. If you want pictures I can put the truck up on the hoist in my garage and take pictures for you. I also have a spare tank in my parts truck right now I can take pictures of that so you can see the top side also. My truck has a stock 34 gal tank and a 100 gallon aux tank in the bed.

If it is not to much trouble that would be awesome, Thanks! :thumbsup:

Burb tank will be behind the axle.

I was going to run a two tank WVO set up using a Burb tank. I bought all the stuff, but my brother beat me to it and did the same on his.
Basically you need to get the tank and crossmembers out of the burb. Try for a 4x4 so you can get the skid plate too. You'll need to remove the truck crossmember then trim the Burb crossmembers to fit. My brother got the gas door and some surrounding metal to graft into the bed side. That would make it look factory. You probably could put the filler neck in the wheel well also? You can also wire in the gauge on a switch so you know the level in the tank. Burb tanks FSU are same OHM as the trucks. You will obviously have to relocate you tire.

Burb tank is out. With the camper in the bed I would have no place to mount the spare.

I will just have to save up for a 34 gallon tank.

The 25 gallon tank is 48 1/2" long
The 34 gallon tank is 62" long
Got these measurements off rock auto.

My tank measures 57". I will have to figure out which one it is.

Last edited:
According to LMC truck I have the 34 gallon tank. My sending unit must be out of wack, no surprise.

Got my info from this page.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=107

This means everytime I think I am low on fuel I still have over 10 gallons of Diesel left in the tank.

I still need a new tank, mine is starting to flake off from the inside.

Marty, Ive never seen or heard of a CCLB with anything but a 34 gal tank. I wonder if your was replaced at some point?

Marty, Ive never seen or heard of a CCLB with anything but a 34 gal tank. I wonder if your was replaced at some point?

I think we might have posted at the same time.

I do have the 34 gallon tank. My sending unit is out of whack. I searched your website and did not see the ones you did make and have for sale.

Do you still sale them?(fuel sender units)?

I plan on using a 100 gallon chemical tank I found. it fits in the nicely and doesn 't extend over the bed sides. I want to set up my truck to pull a small to medium size trailer from Richmond Va to OKC on one tank of BioD. I travel to OKC about once a year for USPS training

Back