• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Kick when shifting the selector

valyidol

Reaction score
Hi
96 Chevy Suburban 6.5 4L80
The Trans has been sitting for almost a year. Worked well before removal. Now there is a kick when you turn on R and N and O and P. There is a slight play in the main gear. I think there is a small leak in the axle shaft seal. Not good rear brakes. I think it's because of the leak. What other causes of kicks can there be, besides play in the main gear, in the cardan or bad engine mounts? Works well while driving.

With the vehicle setting, engine off, wheels blocked so the vehicle can not roll and setting on as flat a surface as possible.
Place the transmission into neutral, crawl under the vehicle but ahead of the rear axle.
Grab the input yoke into the differential and try turning it. How much of a turn will it make turning it in both directions ?

might be sloppy universal joints or possibly the pinion in the differential has play. when you feel the kick, do you also hear a "clank" that would indicate ether of the two things. like Marty said. block everything up and try twisting the drive shaft back n fourth while in neutral. there should not be hardly any movement.

That looks to me like there is a lot of play in the pinion of the rear axle. I will let others chime in to verify this.

how is the gear oil level and color? you can remove the side plug located on the passenger side right behind the pinion. it should have a square on it to use a 3/8 drive extension and ratchet. the oil should be right at the lip of that plug. you can stick piece of wire in there to see where the level is at and see if the oil is dark metallic looking. that will be an indication of a possible bearing failure, or major gear wear causing the play.

Back