• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Kerosene heater

Will L.

Reaction score
I bought this back in 2000, used it maybe 10 times. Today, blew off he dust, filled tank with k1 kerosene I bought back when I bought it new. 2 New duracell C batteries (the old ones didn’t even corrode anything) and it fired up in about 2 minutes.

What should I know or do that I have forgotten from the instruction sheet.

With cover up to light it is this about right flame height? Says 3/8” but idk where that measures. After 1 minute there is no soot. Pics coming...

Will L.

Reaction score
I know this was rated as indoor heater, provided plenty of oxygen supply. My garage is 1,000 sq ft with 8’ ceiling.

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
What?! Are you out of town on vacation? Heaters, :nailbiting: really? What could possibly go wrong with a NOS "never used" heater there?

Will L.

Reaction score
@WarWagon On vacation in my shop! Haha. Feels good to finally turn a wrench on my hummer again. Now I just need to be able to stay on it for more than 30 minutes at a time. Starter out and rear diff under carriage protector out.

And @ak diesel driver - you have the idea, just off by 15*. If under 70 I have to be working hard. Turning wrenches taking out a starter type stuff does not warm me up. Especially laying 1” off the concrete under the truck on my creeper. Turns out as I got old I didn’t just get fat and grey. I am a whiner now too! Haha

Will L.

Reaction score
CF7B6216-10B9-4BA2-BD85-DBED7B7A8BF9.jpeg

So I guess I should NOT let it burn a tank all
The way empty. It was on 1/4 tank when I walked out to rest a bit and left it to keep warming up. Came back and it was too smokey inside to do anything. Fuel gauge reads empty and burned the wick down out of sight yet was still a tiny flame putting out more soot than a 6.5 can in a year! Haha.
Oops.

Airing it out now and will take it apart later to see if there is enough wick to readjust or needs a new one. Also to clean of the soot on the top- haha- look how thick that is!
Shop is nice and cozy warm though.

Always a learning curve. I just wish I could learn without a negative curve i to my wallet. I don’t expect a reusable wick, we’ll see.

And speaking of negative wallet curve while on my Hummer- Amazon-Clause showed up while letting shop air out.
$95 for my early to me present:
4C93E426-F849-455A-9485-337289437CC3.jpeg

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
@Will L. clearly you haven't seen me start the 6.2 in Patch. We had to wipe the soot off the toilet seat in the closed door shop bathroom after it finally lit and stayed lit... :cigar: Careful of CO poisoning with soot like that...

BIGR

Lucky To Be Here
Reaction score
I have a kerosene heater similar to that somewhere, its still at my old place. I fired it up a few times when the power went out in the winter, it was enough heat to keep the wife and I warm. Nothing wrong with those other than they smell somewhat awful after you put the flame out.