• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Keep an eye open

I agree, I highly doubt re-sale will go up more than a few percent, but It would be awesome if it helped the aftermarket.

Eventually folks will wake up and smell the diesel and realize they dont need a new pickup, they dont need to drive like jackasses and need 500 hp to do so (think big city freeways and the driving behavior that accompanies it), and might actually start saving money and drive something a little more budget friendly and practical. (you mean to tell me a 6.5L can haul firewood and I dont need a twin turboed cummins???)
god forbid they drive something nearly as old as them/ built in the last century. hell, the magazines consider an LB7 old as dirt already!!

I got a buddy that worked at Mcdonalds in town, lived in town, drove less than a mile to work in his 80s suburban, and had constant debates with a co-worker in the same situation who said she needed to make payments on a new car because she needed something dependable to get to work. IMO this is just a case of falling for the belief that new=dependable, and we should all scrap our old crap and buy new.

on a positive note, there is a facebook page that caters exclusively to 6.5L's, and it is growing rapidly.

Unfortunately, there is the posts that ask about how to put flip up dodge mirrors on, a few pics with stacks, and a so called "expert" that claims he can build an ATT in his garage and it isnt nearly as good as a Holset, so I would advise someone with better debate skills and knowledge go blow his mind with facts. :) the group is "6.5 Turbo Diesel owners or fans"

so thats my poorly organized rant about people, our wasteful and stupid culture, and facebook. :)

In my opinion, the word "NEW" is the farthest thing from dependable you can get. I was raised with the idea that the more sensors and electronics on it, the more that can fail. One of my favorite motors to date is my fathers old 1981 Chevy with a 454 big block. Aside from 8 spark plug wires and some heater hose, there is nothing else in there. And it still starts up just fine and goes from A to B no problem, and you could probably fit another motor under the hood with all the room left under there. and yeah, I read that facebook page. Some of the people aren't the most knowledgeable it seems. If I want good information, I will come here. Facebook is not a website to address 6.5L technical issues and performance.

I have not seen the article yet but i have enjoyed reading the comments here. I am a huge 6.5 fan.
These days you can create your own aftermarket companies if the ones out there are not filling the niche. Folks on here could do well to start a number of operations regarding 6.5 custom stuff. Wait around for JEGS and all the others it will never happen.
Anyway who needs a crappy mag with wrong info when you have this place.

Like I said, I read it and it seems correct to my knowledge. Just kind of cool to be in a national magazine

In my opinion, the word "NEW" is the farthest thing from dependable you can get. I was raised with the idea that the more sensors and electronics on it, the more that can fail. One of my favorite motors to date is my fathers old 1981 Chevy with a 454 big block. Aside from 8 spark plug wires and some heater hose, there is nothing else in there. And it still starts up just fine and goes from A to B no problem, and you could probably fit another motor under the hood with all the room left under there. and yeah, I read that facebook page. Some of the people aren't the most knowledgeable it seems. If I want good information, I will come here. Facebook is not a website to address 6.5L technical issues and performance.

fully agree. I just feel bad for all those folks that go to that facebook page for advice and get off the wall shit advice. I try to set them straight to the best of my abilities. On a positive, I make sure and chime in for the best place to go for good and affordable PMD relocation kits, our buddy leroy.

are you going to ask any other mags if they want to do a story as well?

I haven't really thought about it. And to be honest, I love my truck and it is unique but I think there are 6.5L's put there who have way more work put into than mine that probably deserve attention too

I couldn't agree with you more. It's past time that the 6.2/6.5 family gets the props long over due to it!! Warwagon's hauler, Paul's 635 project, even Bill's waste veggie oil powered 6.2, ALL should appear in DPM and would show these guys that the family isn't dead, and that the real "Doomsday" vehicle is the one that can run on most any burnable fuel available and is easily repairable with readily available parts no matter where you are at the time. The best part, is that the 6.2/6.5 can beat the pants off of these newer diesels in the MPG department, especially a 2WD with a 10.5" 14 bolt that you can drop a 3.21 ring and pinion into or a 10 bolt rear like in the old ex-military blazers that you can drop a 3.08 r&p into the front and rear diffs mated to a built 700R4 O.D. tranny!

Got the June issue of Diesel Power in the mail today! You got a line on the cover, a good teaser on the Contents page, and a well written, factual article with great photos in the feature section!

Congratulations!

Now, when some of those radical powerhouse 635 projects get finished, time to let the world know about our custom-cammed, custom turbo'ed, custom programmed IDI monsters!

Yup. And the Cowboys come to Memorial Stadium here in Lincoln August 31st this fall to try and play us in a football.

i forgot to comment,

I got it as well, and really liked the article. well written and factual.

oh, and I like the truck, gloss white and NV4500, my two favorite 6.5L pickup specs.

Nice truck. Cool to get it there.
I am not a magazine guy, but I am going to stop by and pick one up. Then I'll call their c/s and ask to buy a copy of older ones with 6.5 in it, while letting them know more 6.5 stuff will earn them a subscribing customer.

I am not all about exterior upgrades. I WAY prefer function over how it looks. personally I'd take a good running shitty looking truck over a new one that breaks down every 5 seconds. I did change the rims, where I painted the stock ones jet black, and then shined up the chrome beauty rings and put the chrome center caps back on. Looks great. And I had some vent visors I took off for paint that I put back on. Eventually it will get some nice new mirrors and a taneuo cover (however you spell it) but that is about it. Nothing too gawdy really. If I do rims somewhere down the road, I am just gonna find a nice set of black 16inch ones. I am not a big rim guy

I swapped the stock steel rims with trim rings and center caps on my Burb for the American Racing rims and BFG tires that were on my '94 basically for two reasons: One, the rubber on the AR's was in a lot better shape than the "new" unknown brand generics put on by the dealer in North Carolina (three of the four had slipped belts within 15,000 miles!). Two, with all the road salt used here in Nebraska during the winter, it's a royal PIA to keep steel rims (and chrome rings) from rusting and looking like crap without having to annually dismounting the tires and repainting the rims and buying new trim rings every few years, so the aluminum rims on the Burb keep it looking "civil" and not running around on rusty old rims.

Back