• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

K1500 rear end swap

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
Hi all,

we're willing to swap a C3500 14 bolts full float rear end on a 1997 K1500 6.5TD which is equiped with a 14 bols semi-float rear end.

Other than the 8 lugs instead of 6, is it just a plug & play swap, or does it involve mods and weldings?

Also, we heard about 6 lugs full float rear end, are these just myths or do they really exist?

I know that some 3500's had different frame widths than there 1500/2500 counterparts, so I owuld measure the distance between the spring perches and see if it is the same as the 1500's. As to the 6 lug full floater, GM never made one that I know of. There was a company building hubs for the 10.5" axle that accepted 6 lug wheels, but I believe you had to open up the centers of the wheels to use them.

Unless the 1500 has a 10 bolt, they should both be a 1350 U-joint. If it is a 10 bolt, then it has GM's goofy 3R joint or whatever they call it in which case you can get a bastard joint to hook it up.

More than likely its a direct bolt up swap. One thing you need to keep is the parking brake cables from the 3500 as it has the larger diameter brakes the spacing on the cables is different. Will have larger brake wheel cylinders too if it matters?
There is no 6 lug FF axle

Back