• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

JD 420 snow plow mount rebuild

razur65

Reaction score
So my neighbor brings his JD 420 up to the barn for some "weld the blade back on" work.
I welded the blade rails on back in the summer when he was trying to use it as a bull dozer and it failed. I told him it was prolly only goodfor snow pushing and he agreed. But, he still used it for a dozer. And it broke again, so now its maybe time to push some snow so needs it fixed again.
JD420_1.01.jpg
The blade was originally "welded" in the center and on the side angles directly to the back of the blade, "supported" by a single pin (bolt) by the gob ob scrap steel at the bottom center of the lift angle.

I cut off all the bad "welds" and figured out a way to mount the blade to the lift angles that would allow for some flex and give in the lift action so the blade wouldn't be forced to be rigid in it's work.
JD420_1.02.jpg

JD420_1.04.jpg

Made these angle plates to support the existing 3-pt bar at the bottom of the old plow frame. Bushings are cut in half and welded into bottom bracket and a top plate that completes the bracket assembly.

I was always taught if you can make "out of position" welding to in position weld to do it, so sometimes it gets a little weird but the welds are the best!

JD420_1.045.jpg

Re-attached new fabricated mount to existing angle steel, new chains, lifts nicely and now "floats" with terrain instead of being completely rigid and stressing the frame and welds.
JD420_1.05.jpg

JD420_1.06.jpg
So now this is done, on to fixing the wife's truck!

Nice job. While it is nice to weld on the flat, if you make yourself weld in all positions you will really improve. Makes it nice when there is no way you can position the part.

Nice job. While it is nice to weld on the flat, if you make yourself weld in all positions you will really improve. Makes it nice when there is no way you can position the part.
My biggest issue with out of position anymore is being able to see. I can never get my head in the right position with the tri-focals.

I do have one pair of cheaters that used to work. Bout time for another eye exam

My biggest issue with out of position anymore is being able to see. I can never get my head in the right position with the tri-focals.

I do have one pair of cheaters that used to work. Bout time for another eye exam

Every pro welder I worked with that needed glasses had a “cheater lens” in his hood. Got in couple le situations where they had me dona weld for them and hand me their hood. Most magnify slightly so I could use it buy it was like using a magnifying glass. A couple others were so strong I couldn’t see at all through them and had to go grab my hood.

I imagine the lens are a little pricey, but something they all said was how much it helped them. Something else a few of them said was they used to get headaches after an hour or so of welding and the lens stopped it. Might be worth checkin out.

For everyone that wnats better conrol in their welds, welding is all about practice. Learn the basic pattern techniques and then do it a thousand times. Unfortunately I have learned it is something that if you go long enough without practice, the motor skill fades.
One ole guy that was a great welder had been out of work for 11 years, in prison. He realized he would loose the fine repetition motor control, so he drew artwork for hours every day using the various weld control patterns and rigged a “stinger” out of toilet paper rolls to hold the pencil so it felt like welding. Said he made it so the pencil would slowly slide as he went so it was like the rod burning up. Actually taght himself to weld both hands in prison on papaer. Guys welds looked like a machine by the end of the first day on the job.
After seeing me do some great repairs on others mistake areas and do some really bad ones from being out of practice, He told me to just draw raw patterns while watching tv and I would improve my “automatic repetition”, I just can’t care enough to become as good as I once was to do it to say if it really helps personally or not, but makes sense. If anyone does try it, save your first page, and compare it to your tenth.

Yup, I use trifocals everywhere except in the shop, got a couple pair cheap cheaters that take the abuse!

I use a 1 1/2 lens in the helmet, if I'm really close up I throw on a pair of cheater glasses. I'm far sighted.

Back