• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

JD 4010

I know 1568's are rare sought after tractors in the IH community. A 1586 is more of a workhorse, not bad but they arent that agile normally and the tranny would be a pain.

The 806 LP would make a great resto and yard tractor for me (i live 1/2 mile from the Propane station) but I would have no way to haul LP to the field.

Might just be me but it looks like someone TRIED to clean up the oil leak. http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/507179/

7000 Allis http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/510852/

Crazy Price for an old 4440 http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/488531/

Repaint everything but the top of the cab... New interior at <5K hrs HA! Thats says how the tractor was maintained right there. http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/509497/

the model 7000 allis isnt a bad tractor, but I really dont care for them. In my opinion, this could have been the tractor that broke Allis due to ruining the reputation of its bigger brothers. while a good haying (small square bale, not round, dry clutch on early maroon belly) and light tillage tractor, its rear end has bull gears, and is overall pretty light, so when they are dualed up, loaded down, and pulled hard, they just dont hack it. plus, only one filter in the whole trans/rear end versus 3 on the 7010-7080 means cheap in my opinion. but, the real issue IMO, allis made the big **** up in making it look just like the 7010-7080's sheet metal and cab wise, so someone shopping for, say a 140 hp tractor, stops at the dealer, looks at the 7000, thinks there is no way I want that for my main tillage unit! Guilty by association.

But for price, dad could likely sell you a big chassis 7000 series allis for under 7 grand, (7060 short axle with the 4 battery tray, 20 spd semi-manual 18.4x38 rears, cat 2/3 3pt, dual speed PTO) we have one that needs a few things, but seems sound. PO claims it would hop out of gear, but dad couldnt replicate it. these have cables for shifting, so it was likely an adjustment issue.

the big thing the 1586 has going for it is the inboard planetaries, IMO making it far superior to the 14xx on down with bull gears. In the rarity case, we bought for a buddy a 1568 black stripe....with an I6. unfortunately, when the v-8 blew, they got a engine cradle and engine from a 1566, and the v-8 cradle was nowhere to be found. still had the 68 tinwork and serial number though, so it was kinda cool. he acted real suprised that serial number was a black stripe, but it seemed to check out, down to the square 3pt arms.

EDIT dad says 1586 is a dry clutch, so that wouldnt work to well. also, he reminds, less gears than a 14xx on down. big tillage horse, not much for haying.

would you like me to ask dad's buddy at the next town? he can find decent stuff for way less than dealers and other forms of retail sales. I assume a 4440 or something with a 158 loader?

That 4240 is ok but a little low on power isnt it? 115hp? I'm liking the tranny set up though! Cab kits for those tractors arent that expensive, installing them is the bad part.

I'm going to need a cab kit for the 8920 one of these days, I live in that thing and it shows... Not bad but the seat cover is worn and there have been an array of things mounted to the console so it looks like swiss cheese. Luckily I cover it with equipment controls.

See if your dads buddy finds anything. I'd still take a nice 1066 hydro that wasnt worked hard or preferably a powershift tranny case 52xx, or JD 4440 w/ loader. Clean is a bonus, not riddled with farm rigging is my main concern and I like a nice place for my butt to rest, AC, and Music

yeah, 4240 and 4230 are about the same unit, both nautrally aspirated and not nearly as impressive grunt wise compared to a 44xx. now the 44 was the biggest of the small chassis, so it is more nimble. a 4555, 4650, etc. will be big chassis, and still work good.
(of course there was a huge engine change from 30 to 40 series.)

that hydro 1066's cab is far from clean (raccoon took a dump in it! :) ), so if you want something with a good cab, then that isnt for you.

we can put a cab kit in a 7060 allis... :) I know you arent an allis fan, but for a fraction of the money for a compareable unit to a 4640, a 7060 is a nice tractor.
both have : inboard planetaries, full powershift or manual trans w/ powershifting 2spd, wet clutch, wet brakes.
As long as you get proper brackets for your loader, they can be set up as good loader tractors. I saw a beautiful Westendorf loader with Allis brackets on one once. work of art, and it worked great. I also saw a 158 JD loader scabbed onto an allis once, it looked like crap and didnt work much better.

what is your budget, in case dad's buddy finds something?

Check into the price difference between 40 and 50 series JD cab kits, IIRC my brother said the 50 series was 1/2 price of the 40 series. It's brown opposed to black.

a tad out of budget, but comes with extras! http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/414296/

right in budget, need to find loader: http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/514820/ the case was a decent unit, as long as you operated the powershift deliberately and carefully. slamming through gears caused them to go out.

the 7060 has the same wheelbase measurements as a 7010 and 7020, who are down near 120 HP. the 7060's 426 Turboed and intercooled will have lower compression than the 7040 with just the turbo, so starting would be affected. Similar situation to 4440 vs 4640 motor/ vs compression wise.

for downright good starting, a 1086 IH would make for a good unit. our broker buddy at Colby has a 1066 black stripe for his loader. one optima, and she will dead cold start well below freezing. that 1066 hydro would be good, but the cabs leave plenty to be desired unfortunately.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/grd/3682456792.html http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/grd/3659351934.html

Not really looking for another 4010 or 20 unless its the right price and great shape. I like the 2594 better than the 2090 you posted, better axles more guts.

MAYBE a nice IH 806, 856, 1206, 1456, 1486, Hydro 1066 and up, 1066 and up manual trans

This would be a neat yard tractor, if it had a cab and loader I would run it in the field. http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/grd/3689649294.html

I could only use that as a yard tractor. Once again, would be a neat tractor but not practical at the moment. The 656 hydro isnt practical either but would be good for feeding in pens and trimming trees, yard tractor work.

Well I have a small update and am out of the tractor hunt. Now I am on the tractor repair and part search. Most of the begining of the story has been shared so I'll skip that part. Last weekend my wife and I went and had a cook out with her uncle. While our wives were out riding their horses we sat and talked about auctions and equipment we wished we had and were looking for. After awhile I was walking around his JD tractor and noticed it had a faint 4010 sticker mark on the sheet metal, I thought he had the 4230 all this time... Sure enough, he told me the clutch went out and hyd pump was pretty weak so he parked it in their families junk lot. Last night i had the wife show me where they kept all of their "treasure" and this morning I struck a deal on the 4230 and 4010.

4230 has alot of hours, the hr counter shows 5K but my wifes uncle said it had rolled over/been replaced so its more like 15,000hrs. Has a push blade, powershift, duals (not bolted on), turbo (not sure if all of them had one). It needs the operator controls replaced/gone through because the side mount controls are pretty beat. The seat is MIA. Front end looks like it could use some work. Alot of minor bits and pieces missing but it could add up. The undercarriage is soaked in oil. Drove to its resting place 5-6yrs ago. Plan is to see if it will run, the diagnose from there.

4010 3500 original hours. Engine knocks and tranny could have issues because it was not towed in tow mode and something wound up, the rear tires skipped, a loud POP occured, and it towed fine the rest of the way. The tranny and rear were rebuilt the summer before this happened. Sitting +30yrs, the wifes uncle was in highschool baling hay on it when it died. Plan is start rebuilding from the front and work my way back.

I have a cab to the 4010 but want to find one for the 4230, I want AC in both if possible. Not affraid to retrofit.

Now there was some good STUFF in the "Treasure" chest. I found my parts trucks and projects for the next 50yrs! I married a winner! lol

big difference between 4230 and 4320. both IIRC have the 404 cubic inch, the same one that was pushed a tick too hard in their bigger bretheren, hence the reason the 466 came out, but in the 4320, it was happy as a clam.

the 4320 is factory turbocharged, the 4230 is not, so I would say if it is a 4320 you at least got a turboed motor. I believe the front end is a tick heavier, so a 4320 will make for a better loader tractor than the 4010.

I would say if guys can scab a sound guard cab onto a 6030, there is no reason you cant get one from a 4430/4440 and put it on your 4320. at least it would be factory parts, kinda like duramax swapping a GMT400! :)

so he took claim to the 4010 from the family collection, and the 4320 was available all along, and you still ended up with both? I would say you got a good deal! (now dont go turn into a JD fan on us! :) )

pics of everything please!

No he bought a rebuilt 4010TD of his own after the 4320 died. Now I have the chance to buy the old 4010 and 4320, he wants to help move them and said he would give me a hand working on them. Like I said, he's a good guy and wants to see the family rigs used.

I think I have a line on a 466 out of a rolled tractor and maybe the whole rig.

I'm plenty happy with my purchase but I am hoping to find a 3688, 5x88, or 1086 for the primary backup rig. That might be a year or 2 but I have enough to get the job done now.

Sent from: Source Unknown

Back