• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Its freakin hott- no a/c

dieselkidd04

Reaction score
Been trying to get my ac to work lately And ive had no luck, cant get any power to my ac clutch, checked all
My fuses, ac relay is good, i brought it into work and recycled the system it had 1.1 lbs of freon which the system takes 1.6 last time i filled it was june2011. I also tried jumping across the two pressure switches and took the hvac control box out of my dads truck and tried it, no luck there still cant get power to my clutch i know the pcm controls the circuit, just not sure which pins to check for power. If anyone has come across Something like this any ideas would be appreciated.

Hmmm.

Would it something dumb like a broken wire?

I have no idea on the pinouts of the ECM.

Is there such thing as a BCM on these? Have you lost any other functions?

You need a scanner to try and turn the A/C on with the scanner. If it does turn on then you have a problem with the ECM not getting teh signal to turn on, if it doesn't then you either have a bad pressure switch or relay.

use a test light ,do you get power to the plug at the compresser?,if so you might have a bad clutch

If it comes on when you put power to it, and you hear the relay clicking. Then it is either a bad fuse, bad relay(yes they can click and not work), voltage drop to the clutch, or excess gap in the clutch. If teh clutch gap is to big, it will not always come on unless you put full battery power to it. Turn the A/C on and see if there is power to the plug, and start tracing to see if there is no power or a voltage drop.

Hey Ferm mine is still working great! I have to run it in shifts on n off so the truck stays below 210 but thats my fault for overloading it.

with the eng running ,if the a/c clutch kicks on do you have a/c?,is so start checking the harnes from the fuse box to the clutch,ck for continuty in the wires

Looks like a voltage drop from the relay pin 87 to the clutch connector ive got 12 v going through the relay but no power at the clutch.Its got 1.8 ohms on that wire from pin 87 of the relay to the clutch connector, i started moving the harness around to do a wiggle test and all the sudden i had power, when i plugged in the clutch connector it blew the 10 amp fuse, so i might be looking at a bad clutch and a wiring issue, if any one knows the spec for ohming out the ac clutch that would help.

Well did some more digging, found a broken ground wire from the pcm to the ac relay, repaired the wire, still no power to the clutch i jumped the low pressure switch , now i have power to my clutch but when i plug in the clutch connector it blows the 10 amp fuse. New pressure switch-$65 A/C compressor-$300 New serpentine belt-$38, not having to go another summer without ac (priceless). I just hope my uncle mike (BTFARM) has his pool nice and ready for the 4th of july party tomorrow!

Just got out of the pool Jim. A less than refreshing 86* right now but it feels pretty cool considering it's 102* out in the air...
It's all set for you tomorrow. See ya then Bud!

Back