• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

It died

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I guess it was bound to happen, but my 9 year old COMPAQ finally died today. I have been nursing it along for the last few years slowly swapping out parts and upgrading it to keep up. Today the fan went into overdrive like teh CPU was overheating, so I let the fan run until it slowed, then opened her up to clean out the dust figuring teh heat sink for teh CPU was covered over again. I blew the dust out of it, and I guess teh CPU was still to hot and died on me. I unhooked everything internal and got the motherboard to boot up for a few minutes and do a ram check, and then it died during that and does nothing at all now. I'm going to order a new DELL 570 I think, but what is the easiest way to save teh data on my hard drives? I have them out already, but it's been awhile and I didn't know if I should just wait till I get my new PC and then hook them in 1 at a time to back them up that way or if there was ana adapter maybe that would allow me to hook them in as external ones to save the data.

Yep ... was going to suggest that but google beat me to it :)

We use 'em all the time... it's a cheap way to both backup data and to build portable storage with older hard drives.

Just gotta decide now if I want another desktop or laptop. My wifes laptop has about had it and the speakers in it quit working yesterday of all things, but after some digging I found some obscure speaker mute function in the volume control that had gotten checked somehow. I REALLY hate computers somedays. Her laptop every time I turn it on goes through and re-installs the drivers for the mouse and keyboard and screws em up. It kept doing it for teh monitor so I had to go through and manually install teh driver for it and it seems to have straightened out mostly. Why can't they just work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220711084507&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Heres what I bought off of Ebay for my enclosure. I spent a little extra to get one with FIREWIRE cabability as I wanted to be able to do high speed. Got my info on my main hard drive, and got my extra hard drive converted to a back-up.

And this is the info I used to gain access to my my old hard drive as I had it password protected.

http://computerhelpforum.org/forum/guides/f70/taking_ownership_of_a_drive_in_xp/t14534.html

Back