• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is there a need for 12 pt metric sockets

schiker

Reaction score
I have my birthday gift cards and probably want to get some new sockets. Then will take some miss matched ones and put in travel tool boxes.

Looking at Craftsman because they are sears gift cards. What I get disappointed in is the sears set organization. Thinking of getting a couple different sets then add individual sockets to get matching set 1/4 thru 1-1/4 and comparable metric sizes. I dislike 12pt sockets. Not too long ago I rounded a metric bolt with a 12 pt socket. Seems lots of metric bolts the corners of the hex have more rounded corners than comparable SAE hex bolts. I have never seen 12 point metric bolts. Do they exsist in factory cars or are they just specialty bolts?

Anyone know the best set? Here is one example of marketing mayhem.
They have a 299 piece ultimate set for $334 and a 308 piece set for $299 Appear to be all the same sockets but with a few extensions extra but I don't see a need for all the 12 point metric sockets especially the 1/2 drive ones std or deep.

I have seen some metric 12 point bolts, mostly on foreign wehicles.
I think the wifeys 88 Buick with the 2.5 V6 has 12 point metric head bolts.

Crud was afraid someone was going to answer that quick. Probably not bad to have them. Would rather have them and not use them until needed than not have them when needed.

They are needed, for 12 point bolts like ujoint bolts, or header bolts, all over the place on newer cars.

Thing is high quality is MANDATORY. Ever use a massive amount of torque on a boxed end wrench? Note the boxed end wrench you used is 12 point, not 6 point. The 12 point has to fit very well and stay in proper contact. But sockets allow for more wiggle than wrenches.
I own and use craftsman all the time. But they just can’t compare to Mac or Snapon. I own 12 point craftsman sockets, but don’t really use them anymore because of the problems they create.

Buying everything top quality is crazy expensive, but find the things that it makes the difference on and get those items of quality.
For 6 point chrome sockets get craftsman. 12 point get mac. They have a bunch of other stuff that is good.

Their impact sockets are good. Fatter wall than mac or snappy, but otherwise good. The locking extensions are good. They have gearwrench stuff- and almost everything gearwrench is really good.

Post up about anything in tool questions you have- I was a major tool addict for years. A bit over $100,000 if including welders and such. Then got rid of most of it and became a Mac tool guy for a few years. Only left that because of the big recession. My ultimate dream job would be a tool store or company engineering new tools. It’s like chromed crack to me.

Still the best socket organizer for tool box or cart imo is this:
00BB6737-BF0D-4892-80EE-9C0E4FE44C60.png
They fit chrome or impact, 1/4,3/8,1/2, you can see the socket size easily and clean up easy- but plastic so dont use brake cleaner. The tiny ones will break, but super glue back on.

Guys would ask how to determine what to buy next and what to skip. I had them write down each time they worked on something and it took too long, was difficult, caused damage or injury. That way the first purchases made biggest results. This is of course all secondary to the borrow twice then buy rule. NEVER should a pro mechanic borrow twice, but I have seen guys show up on the truck with a black eye or brusied cheek and a story of asking a third time- seriously.

Another thing to look for in sockets, be it 6 or 12 point, flank drive.
Flank drive pulls on the flats of the bolt or nut, not on the corners.

Well, there is good and bad to flank drive. That is Snapon’s copyrights name of it. Mac is “edge”, (wrong name from mac imo). Other companies have their name. Snappy was first so the name sticks.

They have much better purchase on the bolt, but apply torque different, so NEVER use them with a torque wrench. Also as I learned when owning the truck equipment shop and an employee used snappy flank drive wrenches the first day he bought them to back up impact installing nuts on chromed bolts along semi frame rail... the flank drive ruined all the bolts. Oops.

Mac’s edge sockets are their Taiwan made sockets and are great quality and priced lesss than craftsman. They will grab bolts rounded off so far you cant believe it. But if you put on a size too big on a slightly rounded bolt using a strong impact, it will work but destroy what is left of the bolt. Now the edge socket will still take it off, but no other sockets will- not even flank drive.

If there is a young guy needing everything and tight money, I recommend them to start there, because the low price and quality, but later should get conventional sockets for things like classic cars or finished hardware. Snappy’s flank drive on the other hand were more expensive than their normal stuff.

A company I would always try to look at their stuff as comparison is Gear Wrench. Almost all their stuff is not made in USA, which sux, but the quality is top notch. Their ratchet wrenches which made their name, is lighter weight than any of the competition, but every bit as strong. And the ratchet teeth system is way stronger than anything anyone else makes, even ones that were much larger in outside diameter. Many of their products followed suit.

I have a few Etorx had to use them on mother in laws Chrysler crossfire alternator replacement. The dealer wanted $750 or 800 something for a new alternator. I do need some tamper-resistant Allen's (has the hole for the center tit) and some other specialty stuff for the odd occasion.

Good point on the different brands for different things. I just like a series of something to match. I am up for spreading the love (nobody does everything the best). Decisions decisions. I like tools just can't justify everything I want. I don't work on all our cars but when the occasion arises I am up for most any part-changes. My truck I usually do all the work unless specialty AC charge, wheel alignment etc (then cringe when I see the truck in someone else's hands).

Back in my day...
When I worked fleets, the 3 biggest expense for were tires, a/c, preventive maintenance (oil changes).
We put about 180,000 on my wife’s suburban and the biggest expense was a/c.

Harbor freight gauges and vacuum pump. Generic flush gun from online. 1 repair at home will offest labor costs most of the time, 2nd one for sure. Until you get into the new systems that run less than 1lbs. refrigerant- you can do it at home no worries.

And yes many like everything 1 set. I was the same way for a while. Many tool guys sell the toolbox at near cost to get their brand tool to be the exlusive inside it. But in the end, I learned to just get the best tool for the job, factoring price of course.

Back