• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is Stanadyne that good?

Clark20ry

Agent #58 OB-DII A(ALCU)
Reaction score
I have always bragged about Stanydyne.I have been using it for almost 4 years with my truck. This last year I ha e been lazy and to busy and not used it. In the last 5 months my truck has run like crap and had a real bad idle. I have some EGR codes so I just assumed the idle had to do with the EGR problems. I finally threw in a bottle with the last fill up and about 200 miles and a 1/3 of tank and my truck runs great. Smooth idle. So the topic is " is Stanadyne that good?"

I have been using it since 2006. I am either lucky or it is good stuff beacause I have not had any issues with fuel or cold starts in the winter, since I have been using it.

Well I don't have to worry about cold where I drive... I am just wondering because I have a much smoother running truck.. I didn't do anything but start using it again...

Considering its 110* right now...

Last edited:
In the summer time I put some in every other tank full, but in the winter it goes in every tank full. Can't complain so far.

I have used it without fail since I bought my truck. I did learn the hard way about keeping the bottle in my truck during winter. Warm it before using or you'll likely be on the side of the road pulling your filter...
It's funny how something with anti-gel properties will turn to slush in the bottle.

Until folks figure out if the low sulfur fuel is or is not lacking in lubricity I'll be using it.

My truck has had Stanadyne Performance Formula all the time, except for around 6 tanks-full when I was testing something different for a friend. The other stuff gave me much worse fuel economy, so I ended up switching back to Stanadyne and all was good again.

So far I am extremely happy with the Stanadyne products. Coming to think of it, I better check to see if I need to order some more.

Until folks figure out if the low sulfur fuel is or is not lacking in lubricity I'll be using it.
The fuel suppliers are using additives for lubricity as recommended by the refiners IF (a big if), they are following recommendations. I don't necessarily trust the suppliers to be all that vigilant...

found the power service works better for me. so i use it.
It's readily available nationwide so that's what I use too.

Running bio mix is good too (for lubricity) but the efficiency (mpg) isn't as good as straight #2. I lose 1-2 mpg on B20.

The fuel suppliers are using additives for lubricity as recommended by the refiners IF (a big if), they are following recommendations. I don't necessarily trust the suppliers to be all that vigilant...

It's readily available nationwide so that's what I use too.

Running bio mix is good too (for lubricity) but the efficiency (mpg) isn't as good as straight #2. I lose 1-2 mpg on B20.

see i had the same result with b20. people told me i was nuts. i bet with some efi time and tuning it to run more efficient on the b20 it has the potential to get better, but for the extra money it cost not worth it imo.

Not to mention b20 eats the crap out of everything that's not viton. I can get b20 but I don't bother with it. Global Petroleum's Roadforce plus diesel which is what I use and sell does have lubricity additives but they also sell a cheaper version with no additives. I know the stuff I buy has it but what guys deliver or gas stations buy, well probably the cheaper stuff. It's only like a penny difference.

I add to every tank, along with some 2 cycle oil.....

X2! I use 8 oz. plus a little 2 stroke in every tank. I have used Power Service also, with good results. I feel that it keeps the injectors cleaner, and I can notice when I do not use a fuel additive. To me it is worth it!

I have ran it before in every tank full.
then ran out and started running PowerService since it was available locally. But I think I like the Stanadyne better. I just ordered some more, so after the PowerService runs out I'll switch back to Stanadyne. Engine seems to like it better.

We run PS in the winter, and nothing in the summer. Truck seems fine. Got 14.5 mpg hauling a camper and horse trailer, and unloaded about half and half last tank.

i used to use it. found the power service works better for me. so i use it.
I used the stanadyne since day one, and no issues at all. However, just recently I was driving back home to W.Va. and I forgot to bring additive with me. I was unable to get the stanadyne in time for the trip back so I ran the fuel as low as possible and loaded the tank with Power Service. I have been using that now for about 4 weeks and I don't know if it's me or what but the engine sounds smoother...:confused: I think I'm gonna keep using it for awhile and it's easier to come by no matter where I travel...always a Wal-Mart around...:thumbsup:

By the way, any comments on mixing additives? I don't mean on a regular basis, but more like in a pinch or on a "every now and then" time frame?

Or maybe a better question is, are there any potential problems with mixing different brand products?

Back