• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is it a "Unicorn"?

Archie_Tech

Reaction score
Hey. Does anyone know why my 1999 k2500 Sierra sle, ext cab, short box, 6.5, has no third door? Seems weird.
A bit of a Unicorn, this one. Its a '99, but not the new style. Called a k2500 and has sierra emblems. No third door. Most of the aftermarket websites wont accept its info, so i say its like a '96 suburban 6.5, for parts.

None of the diesel's had a third door.

Seems a lot of the 1990's trucks were typically designated K1500, K2500, or K3500 but referred to as siverado or sierra. GM went more towards designating Silverado and Sierra in the next series of trucks. 1999 was a weird crossover year.

Welcome.
You might also include a pic of the sticker in the glove box door showing options to the truck.
Common errors occur by grouping parts availability by 3-4 questions without the proper package involved.
I can’t confirm what schiker is saying, but I don’t remember seeing any now that he mentions it...
Plenty of two doors and four doors.

and yes 99 was the change year so things went silly. K=4wd and 2500=3/4 ton. Silverado and seirra are packaged options.

I have a 98 K1500 6.5 extended cab and it does not have a third door...yet. One day I would like to take on that project.

Ya, kinda embarrassed, but when i purchased this truck, i just assumed - by the year, it had the door. Took me half the day, before my tiny tiny mind picked up on it...mytruck2.jpg122542074_3524874847598750_7255253086648229242_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, other than a cab swap- we cant help. and with that nice a lookin truck - NO WAY!
But you did find the best 6.5 source there is.

get to know it a bit and fill out your signature line with details. Read all you can on the stickies- it can save tons of money in errors and never be worried about asking questions. Only dumb question is when the gal asks why I dont sell my diesel!! Haha.

No matter what you hear elsewhere- never drive this at 220f pull over. #1 killer of this engine is heat.
Check your oil cooler lines, they fail and all oil gone in a couple seconds.
Check harmonic balancer and pulley- they fail and brake crankshaft and block.

Dont buy any parts without asking- we’ve all learned what to get and to avoid.

Yeah, when it came to diesels, the 99s (pickups, Burbs, Tahoes/Yukons) were all basically "leftover" 98s they sent down the assembly line. Then the 2000 HD 3500 diesels were still the GMT400 while the 3500 gassers were the new platform/body.

Get rid of the fog lights as they are blocking engine cooling air. GM made a special bumper because They Had Too not for fog lights.

HD trucks do not follow the 1/2 ton market and come out late or year(s) behind new body styles. The R/V series of the 80's body style after the 90's body style like yours came out due to Government contract is a oddball example.

Back