• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is a Lift Pump upgrade in my future?

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
In my Extreme and HOT 1-3 settings on my Edge Evolution I set a low rail pressure code when I snap to WOT or sustain WOT for long periods of time.

What upgrades address this or do I have a sensor going out?

As long as the fuel filter is pretty clean I would point to the need for a lift pump.

What are the HP settings on that tuner?

The engine is stock for now. Fuel filter has MAYBE 1000 miles on it tops, I changed it first time it threw the code (AC DELCO).

I like the Air dog systems and have a friend that sells them so I will likely go that route if there arent any other suggestions.

HP on their dyno sheets show ~400 on extreme and the Hot settings are supposed to be over that. Yes I know I can fry my tranny at those #'s.

If this is the 06 in your sig, check the fuel lines by the trans to see if they look like they have been sucked together. 06 had a BAD problem with the lines collapsing at the trans under load. GM even has a bulletin out as some trucks do it at stock HP levels. A lift pump normally takes care of it.

Thanks, yes it is my 06 LBZ. I will check my lines and If they are fine I will try shimming the rail next. I thought the LP should be "ok" until I started getting real serious.

Ok, so I have been doing some more diagnosing my 0087 CEL

On my Edge read out:
desired FRP is 26.1-.2 WOT
Actual FRP is 26.1 UNTIL a shift and then it drops to 24.1 and builds until next shift
Boost is 22-23psi and 26psi spikes
MAF hits 600-700 ish

@ ~ 60-70 mph WOT from 30mph the code sets but it NEVER does it 2 wot pulls in a row. I drove 400 miles today and flogged every other stop to check these readings.

Fuel line seems ok by tranny.

I think it might be Air Dog time, but first I would like to install shims and Maybe ported FPR fittings. Would ported inlets help w/o a lift pump? I am going to go DSP5/EFI live when i shim it too.

Is a 2psi drop enough to cause a code?

Besides shims are there any other enlarged fittings I should run? Does it matter if I use them w/o a LP for awhile?

Air Dog GPH? 150 or do I need higher? Looking to get 450-500RWHP eventually and still tow on the towing setting.

LP Pre filter???

On another note I have read that the Edge programs ask more rail pressure than stock cp3's can pull, is this true? I know I should be "fine" until I reach my 500hp range.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the parameters of the fuel pressure coding. 2 psi does not seem like much, but perhaps the code is triggered due to the suddenness of the drop. I don't see why you couldn't shim the fuel rail and run that way until you get the lift pump

A 150 GPH lift pump is plenty, well into the 700s from what I understand. The larger lift pumps (90 GPH+) sometimes benefit from a billet pickup. I did not go that route and have not had any problems, and am around 525 rwhp with the race tune.

My FASS has two filters on it, and you also have the stock filter that will stay in place.

Is a 2psi drop enough to cause a code?

Besides shims are there any other enlarged fittings I should run? Does it matter if I use them w/o a LP for awhile?

Air Dog GPH? 150 or do I need higher? Looking to get 450-500RWHP eventually and still tow on the towing setting.

LP Pre filter???

On another note I have read that the Edge programs ask more rail pressure than stock cp3's can pull, is this true? I know I should be "fine" until I reach my 500hp range.

IIRC thats a 2 thousand psi drop...

...in other words its commanding 26k psi and falling to 24k psi...that sounds more realistic...

IMO before you start frying tranny parts... a transgo Jr. is in order...

Tranny parts are on the list but not before EFI, fuel upgrades, 5in pipe, and egr delete.

Yes you are right it is 26,100 psi sorry for the typo. And that is hot 1, not even full power yet... I dont drive too hard so I am hoping the tranny wont kill over too soon.

if you save the tranny before you have problems...that's one less thing to worry about...JMHO

a transgo jr. is relatively cheap insurance compared to a full build once you kill it...

I'll take the words of wisdom and see if I can squeeze some more $$$ some where. I thought the transgo kit was only useful when the truck isnt running EFI Live, guess i was misled. Thanks for setting me straight.

Does the trans go jr require the pan to be dropped, also planning a deep tranny pan and finned diff cover so i guess i could kill 2 birds on the tranny end.
Any words of wisdom on the fuel side of things?

Just get a LP and forget the shimms?
Install shims and ported fitting to support future mods and install LP?

Open to opinions, I have been reading but havent found when the ported fittings are actually beneficial and when they are a waste of time.

I'll take the words of wisdom and see if I can squeeze some more $$$ some where. I thought the transgo kit was only useful when the truck isnt running EFI Live, guess i was misled. Thanks for setting me straight.

Does the trans go jr require the pan to be dropped, also planning a deep tranny pan and finned diff cover so i guess i could kill 2 birds on the tranny end.
Any words of wisdom on the fuel side of things?

The Trans-go Jr. kit is beneficial to a stock tuned truck and will help a tuned one also but it is not the answer. It will not hold your future numbers for to long. I would not have my foot to the floor past fourth gear. I would save your money on the finned pan and just get an Allison deep steel pan. Here is a DIY on the Trans-go Jr. install. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...Go-Jr-write-up-amp-Hoot-flush&highlight=trans

Just get a LP and forget the shimms?
Install shims and ported fitting to support future mods and install LP?

Open to opinions, I have been reading but havent found when the ported fittings are actually beneficial and when they are a waste of time.

I don't think you can go wrong with a lift pump as it will lighten any load on the cp3. The Air Dog 2 is a nice unit with great filtering. Shimming it before getting a lift pump is also something to try.

It would also help to know what operating system was in your ECM as some LBZ OS's had the 0087 problem more than others. A TRANSGO JR is good insurance, and in combination with TRANSYND fluid can help one to hold more than the converter can. Personally I feel the deep pan is a waste of money. More fluid makes it take longer to get hot, but it also makes it take longer to cool off. I still think your code is from collapsing fuel lines as this is a BIG problem on even stock trucks in 06.

It would also help to know what operating system was in your ECM as some LBZ OS's had the 0087 problem more than others. A TRANSGO JR is good insurance, and in combination with TRANSYND fluid can help one to hold more than the converter can. Personally I feel the deep pan is a waste of money. More fluid makes it take longer to get hot, but it also makes it take longer to cool off. I still think your code is from collapsing fuel lines as this is a BIG problem on even stock trucks in 06.

How can I check the operating system? I wouldnt mind doing it just out of curiosity. Would the Edge not over ride that factor anyways?

The Lines dont look bad but then again that really doesnt mean much, but its kinda hard to see them collapse at 70mph. :rolleyes5:

Yeah, from what I can tell from reading it collapses by the 90* bend by the tranny commonly.

Isnt that the same stretch of line a guy would install a LP?

Back