• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

IP Rebuild, TED's 6.5 or other thoughts please

alphadeltaromeo

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A number of you have given me some very valuable input on the various issues that I've had with the suburban over the past few months, and for that I'm quite grateful. What I'd like now is some feedback on what you would do if you were in my situation. The suburban continues to decline in how it's running. I can start it up and let it warm up for 5-10 mins, then get in and drive. It will continue to fish-bite. I can drive for 10 miles, stop and go into a store, then come back out and have zero issues. However, it continues to worsen over time. Sometimes it drives perfectly from a fresh start.

The IP was apparently rebuilt prior to me getting it. I've put a new computer, remote PMD from Heath, and a variety of other parts on it. I've cleaned every ground, etc, etc. I continue to get pulse width error's (long/short). They only time I don't get the errors is when I pull the foot of the peddle.

These are the options that I currently see:

1. Get the IP rebuilt by a quality shop
2. Get a TED's 6.5 (mine has just under 200k presently) and sell my block and associated parts for someone else to deal with

Thoughts please...and much appreciated,

Andy

If you plan on keeping the burb for a while you could go the teds route and build it up to be a reliable engine with the mods learned on here. I always look at how much it is going to take to due versus can I sell it and get something else. My burb has alot of upgrades learned on this site but still can give me fits! As far as the IP I swear if mine goes out I will put a mechanical pump on it and I quote "will relocate my PMD to the trash can!"

Just a thought, I just did the same thing and by the time I was don with motor and IP and all the extras I was about 4 grand into it.

Just received this:

"Hello Andrew,
The military only uses mechanical injector pumps.
We are almost to the end of our 6.5 engines. If the engine you are replacing have an electronic injector pump, just transfer it over to the new engine.

The engines available:
Center Mount Turbo 6.5's 2250.00
6.2 Engines 1175.00
1 x 6.5 2006 2600.00
2 x 6.5 2007 3000.00
1 x 6.5 2009 3500.00

If you have more questions message again or give us a call. 334-983-1092

Have a great afternoon,
Ted's Trucks
Margaret"

Looks like the 6.5's will be hard to come by from Ted's in the future. Perhaps others will have them. I can't afford that sort of money at this point, so I believe the best option will be to rebuild the IP. Thanks for the input, gents.

Andy

Hey Andy over at the place in the 6.5 for sale section there is a 6.5 military motor for $1500.00, looks brand new.

Hi
I think you have to assess this matter and take your time, especially about the engine!
1- how long are you going to keep the Burb-seriously - maybe the wise thing to do is to find out whats wrong (IP) and replace it - drive it and maintain it until the engine goes.
2-If you are going to replace the engine do not use a 2007 and up - the 96 and down are the best 6.5 blocks and even the 6.2 if it has a one piece oil seal and use a set of 6.5 heads and have them ported.
3-If your going to keep the BURB you can buy 6.5 new/reman long blocks easily rather than a military engine that you will have to invest money and time to make conversions and not knowing it's condition.

My 2 trucks are the same year as yours- one with over 200k and the other much less; in which I am about to put a p400 in the one with hi miles rather than going with a GM 6.5 because of its inherit block and head problems. My other truck - I hit 2 cows head on that were in the road at night -yep totaled, so I bought it from my insurance and rebuilt it back better than new. I am one of those people that will keep my truck forever - meaning I would not pay the ridiculous cost for a new truck
Where are you at in GA? I moved from Atlanta years ago to our farm in Dahlonega. I have a couple of resources that may be helpful and there in GA>
The Best
Michael

I wouldn't shy away from an engine that's 2007 and up, the AM General castings after approx 2001 were thicker and more robust than previously. I've had several 2006-07-08 engines apart and several of the older ones too down to the 599 early 6.5 castings. I'm in process of getting all my parts together and installing a 2007 6.5 in my '93 dually as it's down on power a little with 250,000 miles on it.
Don

Back