• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Interesting things I find with my new "Brick"

swany211501

Reaction score
The arrival of my Snap-on Brick today had me excited and worried all at the same time. I didn't know what I was in store for albeit hoping for good things.

I guess I ended up with a mixed bag. I plugged it in and took a 25 minute drive to see what I would find. Found neat things like codes I didn't know I had. p1216 and p1217. I had the ECT code because sometimes my girlfriend accidentally leaves the fooler switch on and it tosses a code, sometimes I get p0406 from time to time from extended periods of idling.

I took note of my -.94 tdco, the 42.5 hg boost, 300+ft/lbs of torque to list a few. I searched the codes to find answers of adding additives. I'm already heavy in additives. .5L ND30w with Howes conditioner.

So my tdco plus the codes account for hard starting? Not supplying fuel at start when cranking even though I have good pressure at the lift pump? I just wanted some ideas of what I learned through the brick. Truck starts ok these days, slow cranking still but I'm not messing with whats working until it warms up and I gain a bunch of time to do other things like install my pillar gauges and so on.

Tim, I know your the guru on the brick, chime in if you will please. Anyone else all interpretations welcomed.

Thanks fellas

Personally I wouldn't trust anything a snap on brick reads off of a 6.5. I had one cost me over $500 in unneeded parts. The accuracy is very questionable at best. The available software programs with a laptop, will make the brick look very old and outdated. Just my opinion.

Turbine Doc was having issues with the snap ons giving accurate info like the tdco offset. i hooked up my truck at school with a Snap on brick and it said my tdco offset was -2.26. my ip install was done by the dealership and i kinda doubt they timed it that wrong since its far from Gm's spec.

What yr cartridge did you get, different carts. read different TDCO don't know why & Snap On could never splain why TDCO is only problem I've had with it but I've made a correction table to work with the different carts I have vs car-code and GM-T2

The torque display is a calculation of parameters MT2500 reads and not real torque but it does give you an indication of change to performance as changes are made to your vehicle, but not a quantitative value for bragging rights

Cartridges are up to 2005. As for torque, I just thought it was neat to see it.

I bought this because it works for more then one vehicle and the price was right.

I've been spoiled by GMTD scan tech software and a laptop. I can watch 6 sensors at a time. I have a tech 1 for the older cars and trucks I have.
You will need to make a compareson chart for your brick vs a tech 2 and or scan software. The time I got burned I had a 98 cartridge and was using it on a 95. I replaced all the sensors except the crank position and the ecm. It still read bad according to the brick. I called snap on and got no reason why it wouldn't read correctly other than I should buy another spendy cartridge. Not much customer support there .

Snap On "Modis" isn't much better at accurate readings with the 6.5 either.......I also had my IP replaced at the stealer (Warranty/recall) and "Modis" read my TDCO as -1.94, still to this day I don't know if the Tech was smart enough to set for best performace (I highly doubt it).....So my -1.94 may very well (probably for sure) be factory timing according to GM specs.

Tim is the ONLY one who can get any reliable info from the Snap On unit as his knowledge and experience with the details and comparisons from other software.....and he's Tim.

Only other member that had any info for me when trying to understand Modis boost readings was GMCTD, trying to learn me between Hg and some other variant.....but he's a missing legend and his knowledge is on a whole different level.

Tim will/can help you to decifer the "bricks" info and get 99.9% accuracy.........as he stated different cartridge years, yields different info and he knows it all.

Good luck and have fun with your new toy.

Back