• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

intercooler

Check out my photo album. I have a few pictures of mine in there. Hope that helps!

Thanks guys! i think i got mine all figured out last night! mounted it all above the fraim rails behind the grill! but might have to re do it with that other uper manifold! dos it have the little dodad for the bost things in the top of it or am i going to have to switch to micanical injection with that manifold?

thanks

Pete

No provisions for boost sensor and intake air temp sensors. It wouldn't be that hard to accomidate them. It's fairly thick.

It's a marine intake upper plenum IIRC. Could be wrong though.

If it doesn't have the provisions for the IAT sensor and the map sensor it's relatively simple to add them. Tap the plenum for the IAT sensor and also tap for a barbed fitting. Then go out and find a GM 2 bar map sensor. You just have to find one with the nipple instead of the O ring used on the stocker and some fuel resistant hose (it's thicker and stand up to boost pressure better, plus, you're going to have oil in the plenum).

Goggle should set you up with a map sensor (I think a buick GN might work but don't quote me on that) and you local jobber can get you the hose.

Chuck a couple fuel inject line clamps on there if you are worred about it blowing off.

But, the hose 3 bar sensor and brass nipple I have on my 98 boost sensor is holding up just fine without clamps.

I think someone on the board is running that upper plenum with OBDII. I seem to recall seeing pictures of it. Have a search around and it might turn up.

How did you get an intercooler behind the grill? I've barely got room for a piece of paper on my 98.

Pictures?

:)

its still a work in progress and is not running again as of yet but i got rid of all the ac stuff and oil and tranny coolers! and modified the gmc grill!!

and befor you all get on me! the oil and tranny coolers are getting relocated some place! just dont know where yet!

and anything is posable! i mean i have hade bigger ATA intercoolers in turbo honda and acura projects! the one in the truck is only 24x12x3! it was sitting on the shelf at the shop and was all dusty! dont remember where it came from or what it was for so now it gos in the truck! along with a pile of 2.5" alum manderal tube!

LOL better brush up on my tig welding! probably 1-2 years ago the last time i used that thing! back when i was bilding fuel tanks for alum boats!

Pete

seeing as motor is not even in truck at the moment its all kinda a work in progress but i came across a pic of one ATA intercooler setup and it looks like he used a stock upper intake manifold and turnd it 90 the inlet of the manifold pointed at the brake master! can you do that? dos it bolt up properly??

Pete

I hope i can fit my cummins intercooler behind my grille. With a fisher minute mount plow i cant do an ATA hanging cooler, there isnt enough room anymore. And its tight in the engine bay with the belt driven hydraulic pump. Mine is going to be wild tubing nightmare. Also have to get into thinking about making all the bends nice and sloping for leats air "turbulence" (cant really seem to find the right word for it right now....)

look on ebay! thay have some intercooler tubing/piping kits that are a good deal and come with all you should need!! several manderal bent tubes and several cuplers!!

Mine is going to have to be very custom for piping, therefore that will be done last. Im going to need so many parts i need to find a huge kit, or better off go somewhere local.

well the kits are DIY kits cut to fit and so on!! and hell of a lot cheeper than buying individual manderal bends!! its worth takin a look and shoping around!!

Pete

this is pic of 2 kits i got yesterday! only crappy thing is that come with reg hose clamps (yuck) and i am all out of 2.5" t clamps so hade to order some more!!

photo.jpg

Back