• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

intercooled ATT?

GMC K2500

Reaction score
anyone running the ATT with an intercooler? i will be installing my ATT and wondering if i should keep my intercooler???

I deleted mine, going with WMI instead, that said I have yet in time since deleting my IC 2 years ago this past October have encountered a high IAT situation which is partially why my WMI hsn't been installed yet.

Is there potential for more fuel to be put out that could make more power but require IC or WMI or is your tuning already maxed out?

I can make it go to high IAT if I keep my foot in it, have done that a few times on test runs, I have healthy fuel delivery beyond stock, it's it at max I don't think so but only because I haven't asked for it to be programmed that way.

So yes if pushing envelope to limits one needs some sort of post compression cooling, in normal day to day driving and light towing it's not required, and even heavy towing where you'd stay sustained boost under 12 psi not needed @ sea level, higher altitude-hot ambient conditions needing 12+ boost to maintain power demand you are going to need some charge air cooling method.

That said I can run 100mph with 10 psi boost running empty & I self limit to 12 psi boost when towing as I figure it's worth running slower vs walking stressing engine and maybe hurting it, slowest I have ever towed on any grade has been 55 mph because with the weight I was pulling thats what if felt safest to do, I'm a K1500 truck so will drop the speed when it starts feeling like unsafe speed for weight I'm pulling.

Turbine Doc- did you run the ATT with the intercooler or are you saying that you removed the intercooler when you installed the ATT?

I ran my ATT through my intercooler, and I have since disconnected it and have not run the intercooler since then. Not really needed if towing below 20000 pounds and not dragging that weight up mountains for sustained periods.

Sounds like I should be planning on an intercooler. Oklahoma summer heat and possibly 30K behind the truck might be a bit much! I guess an ATT just won't heat up as bad as a GMx though.

HX 35 is goin on this weekend (hard to deny a $100 turbo), or atleast thats the plan if I can find a return line and the right supply fittings for the holset.

i just installed my ATT tonight. i ended up using some couplings and pipe from my intercooler(which i removed) so i could retain the Peninsular upper intake instead of the stock upper.

i just installed my ATT tonight. i ended up using some couplings and pipe from my intercooler(which i removed) so i could retain the Peninsular upper intake instead of the stock upper.
How did you mount up you OEM sensors for boost and IAT that were on the original upper intake?
Just curious how others are doing this with their peninsular uppers.
Pictures would be nice.

Thanks,
Paul

Just as was said I think it would be useful if towing heavy or if not necessarily really heavy but through mountains often. However, also agree, I don't consider it one of the priority upgrades and a larger turbo like the ATT is higher on my list. Once you get the exhaust, intake and turbo set up good the intercooler and WMI becomes less necessary. If trying to pull with the GMx turbo then its necessary, but I'd still point you to a better turbo before buying an intercooler.

How did you mount up you OEM sensors for boost and IAT that were on the original upper intake?
Just curious how others are doing this with their peninsular uppers.
Pictures would be nice.

Thanks,
Paul
i drilled and tapped 3 holes. used a barbed fitting and hose for the MAP.

IMG_0265.jpgIMG_0264.jpgIMG_0267.jpg

Sounds like I should be planning on an intercooler. Oklahoma summer heat and possibly 30K behind the truck might be a bit much! I guess an ATT just won't heat up as bad as a GMx though.

HX 35 is goin on this weekend (hard to deny a $100 turbo), or atleast thats the plan if I can find a return line and the right supply fittings for the holset.

You will need an intercooler with the Hx 35, theses are things that nobody discusses about the HX35. There are no specs on drive pressures IAT Intake Air Temps, not to mention that you are running a turbo that is made for a 5.9 liter motor, and that boost starts lower on the rpm scale which is not good for our motors (18:1) maybe. The Cummings makes peak tourque at 1760 rpm, quite different from our motor.

I am not knocking the HX35 just that everyone says how good a turbo it is for the 6.5. well there just isn't any solid factual numbers out there to support how good it really is. And in Oklahoma how big a hills do you get? Guy down in Louisiana hauling 30000 LB trailer loads plus, without truck figured in and has not had any problems, so like I said maybe an intercooler towing through the west coast mountains when towing real heavy. I like my truck and a motor that lives a long time doing what it is supposed to do, haul my rear end anywhere I want to go reliably. Had my share of time on the side of the road alone.:svengo:

i drilled and tapped 3 holes. used a barbed fitting and hose for the MAP.

View attachment 25600View attachment 25601View attachment 25602

Let me know how long it takes before you suck the air filter restriction indicator down on your first good test of the turbo, Then your going to see just how much and how fast your moving air. I do it on a regular basis now on a heavy high speed run. I have the K47 box with the big factory paper filter.

You will need an intercooler with the Hx 35, theses are things that nobody discusses about the HX35. There are no specs on drive pressures IAT Intake Air Temps, not to mention that you are running a turbo that is made for a 5.9 liter motor, and that boost starts lower on the rpm scale which is not good for our motors (18:1) maybe. The Cummings makes peak tourque at 1760 rpm, quite different from our motor.

I am not knocking the HX35 just that everyone says how good a turbo it is for the 6.5. well there just isn't any solid factual numbers out there to support how good it really is. And in Oklahoma how big a hills do you get? Guy down in Louisiana hauling 30000 LB trailer loads plus, without truck figured in and has not had any problems, so like I said maybe an intercooler towing through the west coast mountains when towing real heavy. I like my truck and a motor that lives a long time doing what it is supposed to do, haul my rear end anywhere I want to go reliably. Had my share of time on the side of the road alone.:svengo:

Instead of polluting this thread with HX35 stuff I will start my own.

Thanks!

26082010.jpg

Back