• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Installing An Affordable Intercooler

bowtiebutler956

Reaction score
After installing the HX40WII on my truck, I can easily hit 20+ psi of boost if the boost controller is set there. That got me to thinking about installing an CAC, but all the available kits cost over $900 after shipping!:eek: There is now way I could afford to go that route, but after checking prices I realized it could be done for about $300. I read a thread done by sctrailrider on his CAC install, and mine will be similar.
I decided to go with the bar & plate type CAC over the tube & fin design. Both designs have their pros, and cons, but the deciding factor for me was bar and plate design is more resistant to damage from rocks, debris, etc.. The CAC size is 31x12x3.25. I will take lots of pics, and try to show everything that it takes to get it installed in my 93 K2500. This is my first time installing a CAC, but it looks like it should be a pretty straight forward job. Hopefully.

Here are the prices, and links to the parts being used.

$60 Peninsular upper intake. I got mine from a fellow member, but here is the factory link, and we'll use their price for the sake of trying to make the price repeatable for anyone wanting to do this.
http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/WP-PENTEST/?wpsc-product=2335520-air-intake-adaptor
$98 Intercooler. 31x12x3.25 Bar & Plate
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180967983268?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
$93 Installation kit. Should have all necessary bends needed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351108535723?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
$15 45* silicone 2.5" to 3" silicone elbow. For coming off the turbo, and this is the only one that I believe I will need seperate of what comes in the install kit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110741048860?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This brings us to $266 currently. I've already ordered the CAC, and 45* elbow, as well as the Peninsular upper. I will order the install kit in the next day or two.
I'll be working on a cold air kit as well, as it seems counterproductive to install an intercooler while sucking hot air from under the hood.
Here is a pic of the trucks current setup.

Matt

Attachments

• PA180243 (1024x768).jpg
    PA180243 (1024x768).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 67
  • PA180241 (1024x768).jpg
    PA180241 (1024x768).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 62
While this is the subject of many ongoing debates IMHO something to catch any oil as it comes out of crankcase depression valve so it does not enter CAC and degrade its performance over time.

There are a few aftermarket crankcase filtration setups that will work well and have either manual empty or drain back into crankcase. MANN Pro Vent 200 comes to mind here perhaps some of the vendors herein can supply it or something close.

I am planning on using a 91.5-93 Dodge intercooler and putting it in the factory dodge location near the rad. Interested to see what you do.

94+ Ram CAC & Rad

I am planning on using a 91.5-93 Dodge intercooler and putting it in the factory dodge location near the rad. Interested to see what you do.

I have a 94+ Ram Cummins CAC however needed to use the Ram cummins radiator too. I had thought my GMT400 radiator would fit but no go.

I did convert to the dual sealed beam headlights so only thing needing mods from there was to cut access for CAC at bottom of radiator support and relocate the wiper washer bottle.

Tuning in.

While this is the subject of many ongoing debates IMHO something to catch any oil as it comes out of crankcase depression valve so it does not enter CAC and degrade its performance over time.

There are a few aftermarket crankcase filtration setups that will work well and have either manual empty or drain back into crankcase. MANN Pro Vent 200 comes to mind here perhaps some of the vendors herein can supply it or something close.
I have read up on the Mann Pro Vent, and it looks like a very nice product, but not in the budget for now. I know all CDR's will leave some oil residue, but mine is very minimal. You can take my oil cap off, and there is not so much as a puff of smoke coming out, so I think it will be ok for awhile. Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

While installing one in the cooling stack would be ideal, I don't really feel like doing all the modifications necessary to fit one in this truck. I'll be going with a more traditional 6.5 location of under the bumper. I look forward to seeing your install.:thumbsup:

Matt

The first piece of the puzzle came in today from a fellow TTS member. Thanks Paul! The Peninsular upper, and here are a couple pics. Thanks

Matt

I went the cheap and easy route: road draft tube. It's been working great for a couple thousand miles so far.

On your cold air intake, you could swap location of battery and air box. Make the air box more of a ram air too. Thats what I did on mine. I have a couple rubber bellows connections that fit the K47 very well and allow you to come out with a round pipe. I have pics in my Suburban build thread I think? If you want one of the bellows let me know.

This what I did to my CAC mounted below and between the chassis rails I ducted it blocked the area behind it leaving room for air to be pulled down by lower air dam and evacuated. The ducting intake is the same size as the area of CAC where air flows through blue hose is high pressure fogger.

To find the CAC area where the air flows measure the core size then each tube or bar width and subtract that from overall core size and you have the intake area opening needed for the CAC.

View attachment 43186View attachment 43187View attachment 43185

Last edited:
This what I did to my CAC mounted below and between the chassis rails I ducted it blocked the area behind it leaving room for air to be pulled down by lower air dam and evacuated. The ducting intake is the same size as the area of CAC where air flows through blue hose is high pressure fogger.

To find the CAC area where the air flows measure the core size then each tube or bar width and subtract that from overall core size and you have the intake area opening needed for the CAC.

View attachment 43186View attachment 43187View attachment 43185

Thanks for all the pics! I'm going to study them more closely when I get home today from work. Thanks

Matt

My ducting improved the CAC efficiency at speed and the blocking panel behind it prevents airflow up and behind radiator shroud which stalls/impares airflow through the radiator at speed.

My ducting improved the CAC efficiency at speed and the blocking panel behind it prevents airflow up and behind radiator shroud which stalls/impares airflow through the radiator at speed.

I had already been contemplating some sort ram air setup for the cooler, and I like the way you did yours, and will probably make something similar. Before adding a deflector behind it, I think I'll see if the truck stays running cool without it. Thanks for sharing..

Matt

Next piece of the puzzle showed up today!:agreed: I will say this CAC weighs more than I expected it to, and I can see I'll need to build some sturdy brackets for it. As usual with these china performance parts stores on ebay, their advertised measurements are a little off. The true core dimensions are 23.5x11.5x3. The overall length is 30.75". Its overall quality seems good, and I held it up under the truck, and can see it will fit very nicely.:thumbsup:

Matt

Back