• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injector clatter or valve train noise

hookedup50

Reaction score
The other day while driving home from Boston I heard a different noise coming from the engine bay. I got up the next day and the truck would not start. It needed a starter and is unrelated. At idle, there is no audible difference. Between 900 and 1kRPm there is a clatter and it goes away shortly after. At highway speed with no load and just enough throttle to maintain speed the clatter is back. At speed there is an occasional pop. This noise is coming from the drivers side bank. If this were a rocker retainer button/ball, the noise would be adible through the whole rpm range. This happens in park as well as drive. It is not something loose rattling, I'm not that lucky. When I have time I will throw the carcode on it and try to figure out how to turn off injectors. I've read about another way to manually turn off an injector. If that turns up nothing I will pull the valve cover. There is no DTC light on and only slight loss of power if any. I didn't push it though, cause I limped it home. There is no ai in the return line. Thanks in advance.

Remove belt and check for noise and inspect the rubber dampers while you are at it.

I haven't had time to spend any it. Tomorrow I will huck carcode on there to hold it at the Rpm the noise kicks in and determine where the issue is. I'm gonna check the balancer rubber first. Either way your'e gonna get an order for roller rockers, injectors or dampner

Update, I took the belt off and noise remains at 950 rpm and goes away at 1k. I inspected the rubber around the HB and and belt pulley. With carcode I shut each injector off and it ran too rough to rev it up. When turning them on I got clatter each time. I don't know how to get carcode to hold RPM so I can use a stethiscope. I guess I can use my old snapon MTxxx to do that. I have a youtube link for any input

Exhaust noise. Harmonic.

Muffler coming apart. CAT failure. Downpipe broken at turbo or band clamp. Heat shield on turbo, starter, injector heat shield on turbo side. Exhaust hitting possibly due to engine mount failure.

Maybe even flexplate if auto or throw out bearing if stick. Sound isn't clear on the recording, but what I can hear sounds along the lines with WarWagon.

I'll inspect the flexplate. The starter is new and shields have been checked, will revisit downpipe and maybe crossover gaskets. That rattle comes back at highway speed with no load and then there is a popping noise that is random. The exhaust is not old and will check exhaust manifold studs. At speed the noise sounds like a gasser with exhaust issues. I'll see if my cousin can run the accelerator. If it was valve train issue it would be constant, Right?

Bang on things with a rubber mallet esp the muffler. New parts don't mean anything.

And no,
It does not always make a constant noise. I've had buttons break and injectors go that caused intermittent noises, shakes, etc.

Thanks Will, I see the valve cover coming off shortly. It leaks, but not enough to warrant removal till now. I still need to do flexplate exhaust inspection, but no time. Being a 50 year old college student takes all my time. My 07 colorado has evap leak that needs smoking out with my halloween fogger. I'm gonna start driving my carburated AMC Jeep Grand Wagoneer in the meantime.

Your college have an automotive program? Volunteer your truck in the name of education...

For HB and pulley inspection, check them when the engine is idling.

Sometimes, the pulley's rubber still looks good but the HB is not.
It will show that it runs wobbly when you peek your head from under with skid plate out (if exist).

Update, I haven't had time to tear into it till today. I checked the flexplate and it is not cracked like Nate's on the WTA intercooler thread. Tomorrow I am going to start it and check the HB for wobble, as I only did a visual. Then, if that checks out, off comes the intake and drivers side valve cover, cause it leaks and needs sealing anyway. I still think its a retainer button. That should kill Sunday as I have to bleed the brakes on my 89 Jeep

Rob, cracked the injector not want to time see if you can locate which cylinder. If you can then swap that cylinders inject her with another injector and see if it follows that injector. I have seen it happen three times where everybody swears it's just noise inside and it turns out to be the injector.
Then when that's not the problem you get to come back and make fun of me for it:happy:

I hear a harmonic vibration of something rattling that is loose. I don't hear an injector or valve train noise. Maybe the exhaust hitting the frame rails somewhere? Turbo band clamp loose on the exhaust?

I have double checked the the exhaust system. At speed when the clatter comes back at a higher pitch there is a popping noise. That sounds like a valve not shutting or something. I need to get my cousin over here to hold the throttle at 900 revs and check the HB. Either that or find my snap on mt XXX that will hold RPM while I investigate with stethiscope.

Back