• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Inexpensive power for my 91 s10 blazer ideas?

Ignition components do not have the capabilities of boosting horse power.
If ignition components are faulty then they can be suspect of robbing available horse power.
The best components for restoring lost horse power through ignition components id the AC Delco brand.
If the AC Delco brand is not available then the Standard Products Blue Streak components is second best.

Just ignition won’t make any noticeable changes for the good.
The reason people upgrade ignition- spark plugs, coil energy, etc. is because they are putting in more fuel than normal and they need to ignite that excess of fuel.

You can look up better spark plugs, better distributor, better coil, better wires.
You can spend well over a grand doing all that and if the truck is stock, it will doa better job than stock ignition parts- but them being new vs brand new stock parts- you might see a 2% improvement.

If your ignition system is toasty/ worn out and has to be replaced right now anyways and you plan to redo the engine for more power as you go- then yes now is the time to upgrade it. MAYBE. There is a level that too much spark will do damage if you are not pushing enough fuel and depending on system enough air like needing super charger or turbo charger.
You have to decide what level you are building to before you start.
Showing the extreme is best example I can give. If you were gonna use nitro methane fuel, you have to have a magneto distributor putting out 400,000 volts. Less ignition wont let the fuel burn in time. But run that much voltage means no spark plug lasts 3 miles. Run that much voltage on regular gasoline will burn holes through your pistons and burn out the valves in 1/2 mile drive.
Obviously no 4.3 can withstand nitro methane, so we know you aren’t doing that.
But knowing what you are building is critical.

I would not upgrade just minor parts of the ignition system. Do it all at once because things like a stronger coil will exceed crappy wire insulation capacities.
Understand once you upgrade to bigger coil for instance- you can not go back to stock without replacing it all. So don’t do this if you are broke and might not afford the high dollar plug wires later. Performance is for go fast now and replace more frequently. Don’t think stock lasted 100,000 miles so high performance will make it same time- it will not. High performance coil, wires, plugs last about half the time as stock.

I've always wanted to swap an ALH TDI into an old 2 door blazer. Folks drop them into Tacomas all the time and I think Leroy put one in a S10 years ago on here. Pretty stout little engines, you can convert them to mechanical injection too, and get 25+ mpg out of them in a Tacoma. Sorry if this is a bit off topic I just can't help wanting to swap a diesel into everything 🙃

Back