• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm starting to get adventurous

saratoga

Unpaid Help
Reaction score
Just ordered a cat delete pipe from alli gator for my truck. :)rolleyes: big deal, I know...) ):h

If it doesn't get obnoxously loud in the cab with this, I may venture to get a muffler delete pipe in the very near future.

Last edited:
x2 with bud. the cat imo hurts power more, but minimal noise increase. the muffler was about the biggest noise changer. for bolt ons anyway.

It's pretty mellow with just the cat-back system.
Even that straight-through MBRP muffler I have on there now will keep it quiet though?

I have the 4" MBRP catless system, and it is not loud at all. It is throaty when I get on it, but cruising is not bad.

It sounds a bit louder than stock, but does not have the incessant drone of a straight pipe at highway speed.

Mine REALLY Opened up when I got rid of the Cat.

I had the Corsa Cat-Back at first. Was as Quiet as Stock. Inside and Out.

Got the Delete Pipe, and then all Hell Broke Loose.

Still Quiet as Stock Inside (Corsa is the Shizz :)) but Outside, it's WICKED.

Mine got throtier, not a whole lot louder when I took my cat off. Throatier and deeper. Grady, if its too loud, or you still want the performane, you can also get a resonator, which is like a mini muffler and have that installed right where the factory cat is. Thats exactly what I did and so far, I'm pretty content. I do not like it loud either.

DIAMOND EYE makes a bolt in resonator that is a direct swap for the cat if you need one. And another vote for the CORSA muffler, mine is pretty quiet with the windows up but when you roll em down and get on it she will talk.

Is there really much of a performance difference with the cat removed? That's one of the things I'm thinking about as well. And what kind of $ neighborhood we talking about?

Can't comment on the performance aspect yet Mike, but the pipe is right at $100 on his website (free shipping, too).

I did the math since I took my cat off shortly after I moved to Florida.

My mileage (highway) reached 22.1 mpg with some stop and go and mostly highway from NY to SC at 70 mph.

Now, I cant get any better than 19 at 65 mph.

The only thing I changed was removing the cat.

WOW, is the lower fuel mileage due to the turbo not spooling up as easy? Less back pressure? That is what I was afraid of too.

WOW, is the lower fuel mileage due to the turbo not spooling up as easy? Less back pressure? That is what I was afraid of too.

Uh, that one doesn't make sense to me, guys... with less backpressure, the turbo should spool easier. You should have a little more boost at highway speeds, not less.

And yeah, that will lower your mileage a bit. You DMAX guys aren't wastegated like us 6.5 types.

Or maybe I'm just OTL on newer trucks and should stick to the dinosaur diesels I understand...:mad2:

I dunno...I think it might be something else on your Truck Nick.

You shouldn't Lose MPG's from Deleting the Cat.

I'd look for Boost / Exhaust Leaks.

Uh, that one doesn't make sense to me, guys... with less backpressure, the turbo should spool easier. You should have a little more boost at highway speeds, not less.

And yeah, that will lower your mileage a bit. You DMAX guys aren't wastegated like us 6.5 types.

Or maybe I'm just OTL on newer trucks and should stick to the dinosaur diesels I understand...:mad2:

we have wastegates...I pulled my stock one in favor of the banks BigHead wastegate in order to hold the 32 psi of boost longer while drag racing the stock one will open faster/sooner losing performance...

stick around Jim...we'll learn ya' :thumbsup: (I'm trying to learn 6.5's myself)

Jim: Somewhere I read that with the smaller exhaust pipes (Stock 3.5") the turbos spool up quicker than with the larger tubing (4") and less restriction (CAT removed). The larger exhaust systems are usually better for top end power (Higher RPM's), but not as good for lower end power/torque. That is why I am a little confisicated about what Nick said in his results. As far as the 6.5's go, I will stay out of that discussion, as I have no experience with them.

we have wastegates...I pulled my stock one in favor of the banks BigHead wastegate in order to hold the 32 psi of boost longer while drag racing the stock one will open faster/sooner losing performance...

stick around Jim...we'll learn ya' :thumbsup: (I'm trying to learn 6.5's myself)

LOL... be patient, I'm a slow child.

If you're wastegated, then pulling the cat should increase, not decrease, your mileage. It will only affect turbo spool when the 'gate is shut, AFAIK.

Jim: Somewhere I read that with the smaller exhaust pipes (Stock 3.5") the turbos spool up quicker than with the larger tubing (4") and less restriction (CAT removed). The larger exhaust systems are usually better for top end power (Higher RPM's), but not as good for lower end power/torque. That is why I am a little confisicated about what Nick said in his results. As far as the 6.5's go, I will stay out of that discussion, as I have no experience with them.

Yeah, as I understand the whole idea, all turbos spool up quicker with less restriction - back pressure should always have a negative effect on turbo efficiency, AFAIK.

The last sentence is probably the best one for me - I should stay out of DMAX discussions, 'cause I know sure know squat about them :confused: Heck, I didn't even know they had a wastegate!:mad2:

If you guys are gonna teach me about this stuff, it's gonna be a long day...

There's no wastegate on the newer ones (04.5 & up).

It's supposed to be here Tuesday & we'll see what happens. If my mileage drops or the noise is intolerable @ 70ish, someone will get a hell of a deal on a cat delete pipe. I don't see how it's going to make any difference in mileage however.

Back