• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm having trouble with metal brake and fuel lines

GT-GMC4Me

Reaction score
Hi guys, i was looking for some tips or ideas about replacing my fuel and brake lines. I have decided to go with braided nylon fuel hose to replace my metal lines. The fuel pump only rates at 12 psi. Max output, so i should be okay with hose clamps and stuff shouldn't I? What size hoses should i run? And what do you suggest about my brake lines? I've been dumping money into it and I'm trying to save it where i can. Any help is appreciated.

On the fuel line, 3/8” is desired for supply, 5/16 desired for return.
The rubber part of the hose should be sae30r9.

Yes hose clamps, but get quality clamps- all stainless steel the cylinder xtra few dollars will make it last years longer and the really cheap ones can fail in months. Another option is Doing the stainless steel wire clamping, it works really well and there is some diy YouTube videos to make the tool yourself if ya can’t buy the real one right now.

DO NOT use the brake line material mentioned above for fuel line. No red metals in the fuel system- it reacts with the modern fuels in not happy ways. Anything in metal should be stainless steel, not cheap and not easy to work with.

On the fuel line, 3/8” is desired for supply, 5/16 desired for return.
The rubber part of the hose should be sae30r9.

Yes hose clamps, but get quality clamps- all stainless steel the cylinder xtra few dollars will make it last years longer and the really cheap ones can fail in months. Another option is Doing the stainless steel wire clamping, it works really well and there is some diy YouTube videos to make the tool yourself if ya can’t buy the real one right now.

DO NOT use the brake line material mentioned above for fuel line. No red metals in the fuel system- it reacts with the modern fuels in not happy ways. Anything in metal should be stainless steel, not cheap and not easy to work with.
Thanks for the heads up on not using the new brake line material for fuel line. I never knew that and would have done it

S.U.R&R has everything you need. Napa stocks the lines and fitting. Nylon fuel lines are easy to install and never rust. And the ultrabend brake line is also corrosion resistant. All made right here in Ohio. We do alot of fuel and brake lines around here thanks to our salted roads.

Back