• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm back! In a different forum this time.

Try posting over at duramaxdiesels.com and see if somebody over there can recommend you a shop in your area.

So, a little progress today. Measured the pressure at the rail after pumping it up at the primer, and it does bleed down, so there is a leak somewhere. However... The horrible bucking and missing has something to do with the Banks tuner. Disconnect it when cold and the bucking goes away, plug it back in and it comes back. Really didn't think it was an electronic problem. So the tuner is coming out, probably start saving for efi live.

The pressure will bleed down as it sits, so that sounds normal to me. Take EVERYTHING off of it and see if your problems persist. The BANKS stuff has had some issues here as of late.

Sure not the first guy to have trouble with a Banks unit. There are some Diablo Predators around that give some fairly decent tunes for a lot less than EFI in the meantime.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Ferm, how quickly should it bleed down? I think it's dropping too fast, and you shouldn't need to prime it all the time. If it is normal, then I'd just take the Banks off.

How much do you guys pay for efi live?

The pressure will start to bleed down right away as these systems do not have a valve or anything to make them maintain pressure like the 6.5 does. The thing to watch is after it sits overnight it should only take 2 or 3 pumps before it starts to get hard, if it takes more then you have an air leak. Normally if it can sit overnight and startup and stay running for 30 seconds idling without stalling or stumbling you normally don't have an air leak. As for EFILIVE costs, it can range from $125 all the way up to around $1300. If you want to do your own tunes then you will want a EFILIVE V2 with the GM software which is going to run you $899. Many tuner companies will do an exchange ECM for you with a custom tune for $225-450 depending on your mods and what you want from it. I charge $175 to do a basic single tune, and $225 for a DSP5. A VIN license to allow you to flash an ECM costs $125 from EFILIVE, and I add on $50 for using my V2(and another $50 to install the DSP5 switch if you want one). Some guys will flash in a tune for the cost of a VIN license. As far as who to go to, there are a lot of good ones out there. Tony at RIDGERUNNER and IDAHO ROB are 2 I recommend to others based on reviews(and they have helped me with some stuff as well so I help them if I can). And I would avoid the tuner that has a sting to his name if it was me based off of recent customer experiences I have read about on other forums.

Sure not the first guy to have trouble with a Banks unit. There are some Diablo Predators around that give some fairly decent tunes for a lot less than EFI in the meantime.

Sent from my SCH-I535
The PREDATOR for the LB7 isn't really recommended as they tend to run high EGT's on them. A PPE ECONOMY is about as good a tuner as you can find for the LB7 without stepping up to EFILIVE with custom tunes.

AH... LB7. I agree. That's a different animal. The predator was pretty much intended for LLY and updated to LBZ.

Well, the tuner was definitely the big problem. I wish I could have fixed it myself, I actually was going to unplug it but never got around to it. Turning it off didn't make any difference. There was also a small leak at the filter, there was some corrosion of the aluminum in just one spot where the gasket should seal. Picked it up last night and it seems fine now. Just need to remove the tuner and throw it out. I was going to try to sell it once I got efi live done, but it's no good now. Unless I find something obviously wrong when I remove it, like a broken wire or something. Idk, I'm a little discouraged right now, I don't know if I'm going to keep it

"The biggest thing to watch for is the pump rub on the transfer case. If it isn't leaking now, I HIGHLY suggest dropping the case out and put a wear plate in it. This is a common issue on the GM's in general, and it's not an issue of if but more or less when it will happen. Kennedy diesel has a nice kit with a new seal, gasket, wear plate, and sealer for the case halves."
I'm right there with this. Just put a new T-case in one of my stock 02 LB7 work trucks at a 149k....Its not cheap :( It was the only truck I have not put one in other than the '11, 12 or 15. yet, Typically do when I need to do the fluid change at 50k

Had issues with Banks stuff on my '01, went Edge and then EFi.

Congrats on the new rig, Best damn truck out there!

Last edited:
Back