• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ignition switch harness plug removal

Tovar

Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg Need to replace my ignition switch harness. Can't see how to remove a little white plug located on top of the tumbler. It is part of the harness, so it needs to be removed.

I don't see one. It appears to be a simple thing, but the plug is under those two metal prongs. You can't left it up straight. And it seems you can't push it to the side because the lower portion of the plug fits down in to the casing. Surely somebody has remove this plug before. I'm trying not to break something and make my fix worse.

I'm not sure how that one comes apart. I've never messed with a 98+ vats column, and that appears to be the vats lock cylinder sensor.

To remove the little white plug, take a small flat head screw driver, and insert it between the plug and the casing, in the middle, on the upright side (not where the plug rests on the casing). Turn the screw driver clockwise, and gently push the terminal side (where the wires are) towards the passenger side of the truck. The plug will swing out and release itself. It seems all this plug does is tell the truck that the key is in the ignition.

To remove the little white plug, take a small flat head screw driver, and insert it between the plug and the casing, in the middle, on the upright side (not where the plug rests on the casing). Turn the screw driver clockwise, and gently push the terminal side (where the wires are) towards the passenger side of the truck. The plug will swing out and release itself. It seems all this plug does is tell the truck that the key is in the ignition.
AHHHHhhhh, You got it figured out. I thought there should be a release mechanism on it. LOL

Here is what I found in the Haynes manual.
View attachment 51428
Not even remotely related to what he's working with. This dealt with the horn contacts in a 94 and older column.
That white sensor is what makes the vehicle anti theft system work. It tells it if a key is present when the ignition switch it turned, and if it seems like the correct key. If it detects an issue turning the switch, it activates the theft system, and shuts the truck down.

Not even remotely related to what he's working with. This dealt with the horn contacts in a 94 and older column.

That white sensor is what makes the vehicle anti theft system work. It tells it if a key is present when the ignition switch it turned, and if it seems like the correct key. If it detects an issue turning the switch, it activates the theft system, and shuts the truck down.
AHHHhhh, The pic is a bit fuzzy, only thing i could think of was the key in ignition switch warning mechanism.

Back