• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ignition coding??

Stoney

Reaction score
Ok so I'm confused..
I replaced I replaced my ignition switch (key switch) back about 2 years ago or more..can't remember the brand but it's not dorman and not Delco...it's another brand from auto zone... It came with new keys....don't remember why I changed it... But anyhow I'm trying to replace all my electronic stuff that's under warranty from generic parts to A/C Delco because Chevys don't do well with anything else but Delco... I ordered a new Delco switch it arrived at auto zone, but when I went to get it there was a problem... No keys to it...so looked on there computer thinking maybe there just missing from this one,
That's where it got weird.
The computer said it has to be coded by a Chevy dealer...WTF.. why would it have to be coded?? It's a 97'.... and the other brands come with keys but this one doesn't...on the bag it actually says GM part...Not Delco.. which I would think would be even better... They said they had to order it from the vendor so maybe that means GM not Delco...any thoughts on any of this?KIMG4081.JPG

First, I wouldn’t go swapping parts just to get AC Delco in there. If it’s working, leave it be.

Not all AC Delco parts are always ‘best’.

Yes, it is common on many ignition and door locks to require being ‘keyed’. That way you got the factory key pattern for your rig and off just the vin number a door key can be made if you lock your keys in the car or leo wants into your car. Convinent

Problems like: There is a huge drug smuggling ring currently on going from Juarez where they make a key off your vin and put the dope in your truck so you bring it across without knowing it. Then in Texas, another guy has a copy also and with a tracker they get their dope from your car and you never even knew.

I will say my Hummer doesn’t have factory locks in doors or ignition. They use Ford column and keys, so new ones always come with keys.

Imo, return that one if you can. My guess is there is other pressing things you could drop those pennies on, because you haven’t paid 25% the cost yet having bought the switch only.

Factory parts are keyed to the oem key, that is how ac delco comes is with no key as you have it coded to your old key.

Ok let me ask this. When I bought the truck it had a security system in it. I think the p.o. disabled it ( I removed a bunch of stuff that went to it that was stuffed under dash and behind backseat...like I said I believe it had already been completely disabled.. does the key have anything to do with it?? I don't remember there being anything electrical so to speak on the key switch when I changed it before. But didn't know if it does anything except manualy turn a switch on and off in side...I remember guys saying they had problems with ignition switch a causing issues and since old one was under warranty anyhow and Delco one was same price I just figured I'd change it to eliminate a future issue.

The ignition lock cylinder is separate from the actual ignition switch. The lock cylinder is the keyed portion that connects to & turns the ignition switch. The theft system didn't get tied into the lock cylinder until 98 to my knowledge.

Back