• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

If You Were Gonna Get A Diesel Truck STRICTLY For Towing...

What Motor Would You Get?

• 5.9L 12V

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 5.9L 24V

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 5.9L Common Rail

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 6.7L Common Rail

• 7.3L Powerstroke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6.4L Powerstroke

• 6.7L Powerstroke

• 6.5L GM

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • LB7

• LLY

• LBZ

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • LMM

• Total voters

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
...and you had a $20-22k Budget, what would you get, and where would you cap the Mileage at for having too many?

Let's say 12k LBS and Under.

Last edited:
Most of the trucks listed are over that budget number. Not many people are going to tow with the affordable and cheaper Regular Cab. Realistic number is $30-35K used.

I would also include Medium Duty like Freightliner or other brands with CAT engines.

Depends on Commercial or recreational towing. Also depends on the area you are towing in as the state of CA won't let older pre-DPF diesel emissions in some areas like the docks.

You forgot the 6.2 GM :toetap05: Like the 30 year old ones I have beat on towing.

Most of the trucks listed are over that budget number. Not many people are going to tow with the affordable and cheaper Regular Cab. Realistic number is $30-35K used.

I would also include Medium Duty like Freightliner or other brands with CAT engines.

Depends on Commercial or recreational towing. Also depends on the area you are towing in as the state of CA won't let older pre-DPF diesel emissions in some areas like the docks.

You forgot the 6.2 GM :toetap05: Like the 30 year old ones I have beat on towing.

Well that's why I say where would you Cap the Mileage as having too many? 200k? 150k? 100k?

Around here, a $22k Budget can get you any of those Truck above if you Look around, some of them would have under 100k on them too, not a lot, but a decent amount.

Obviously, the more Miles the Cheaper it's gonna be, but again, how many would be too many?

6.2 wouldn't have fit, 12 Choice Limit. :)

I voted 6.7 common rail if for heavy towing often far and tough terrain. Dodge/Cummins seems to make about the heaviest rig. But if for just recreational a few times a year I wouldn't really be choosy just what ever I found the best deal on.

Mileage would depend on driver/usage, maintenance record, and vehicle condition. About anything is good for 100K with minimal maintenance. 150K if used lightly. Over 200K I would want records for injectors or pump etc. That goes for Transmission too. I would figure and add on some $$$$ for maintenance if over 150K if not documented already done.

I vote LBZ, around here you can find a 2 wheel drive crewcab for under 20K. These have the 6 speed transmission and get the best fuel economy. To me, this truck has the most comfortable ride over the other big three.

6.7 gets horrible fuel economy, you would be better off with a per-emissions 5.9. But unless you get a manual transmission you will not get a 6 speed with the 5.9.

I will never, NEVER, own a ford. All my buddies that have them seem to have them in the shop more than they get to drive them.

But, it is your money. Get what ever makes you happy! :thumbsup:

For #12K I think an LBZ w/ transgo, extra tranny cooler, EGR Delete, EFI LIVE, and any other cooling help possible would work but I doubt it would be easy to get for under 22K.

IMO KISS: 6.5L, 7.3 Stroke or IDI, or 12/24valve. Otherwise buy/lease new and use the warrenty, trade often, and keep a back up for down time. I voted 6.5L for cost effective mods and parts supply, you dont need 500hp to tow.

For under 22K buy any 6.5L Single cab truck with under 200K with a decent body, drop a teds engine and built 4l80, studs, Custom DB2 or tune, ATT, and have plenty $$$ left to stock up on spare parts.

Your 07, minus the lift, lol. Also depends on whether it was bumper or gooseneck, height, etc. Is this theoretical, or something you're looking into? lol

Im with Tanner. Most economical on the list too.

Edit: Sorry just saw Tanners second post. I agree with post #4.

Your 07, minus the lift, lol. Also depends on whether it was bumper or gooseneck, height, etc. Is this theoretical, or something you're looking into? lol

No Gooseneck.

It's something I'm looking into.

Thinking about getting rid of the Wrangler and getting a Dedicated Tow Truck for my Enclosed Trailer (7x19) and Boat (22ft CC, but will be getting a 29ft CC inna year or 2).

Honestly, I'm a Chevy Boy at Heart, but with the Amount of Rust & Corrosion I have on my '07 Dmax, it's gonna take ALOT for me to Buy another GM Product. That Waxy shit that they put on the Frame has gotta go. And I know I can Fix it by myself, but why should I have to?

The '97 3500 12v I had, '05 Wrangler I had, and the '07 Wrangler I have now, all those vehicles COMBINED don't have anywhere near the amount of Rust that the Dmax has. All those Vehicles have pretty much 0 Rust ANYWHERE on them.

Im with Tanner. Most economical on the list too.

Edit: Sorry just saw Tanners second post. I agree with post #4.

I did vote 6.5L, I just threw out other decent options and pointed out I think an LBZ would be good but hard to get w/ $ for mods for under $22K. I also pointed out other solid/proven rigs that can do the job. Then I said the 6.5L is a cheap truck to mod and for 22K you can buy a truck, GEP engine, built tranny, and ATT and still have room for spare parts.

I'm talking about an "Off the Shelf" Truck, that can be Bought and put to Work Immediately.

If we start getting into Swaps, Rebuilds ect...then things are gonna get outta Control. If I wanted to go that Route, I'd get an F350 Dually, RCSB, Swap in a 5.9 Cummins, backed with an Allison.

If you wanna row gears then go for the DODGE, if you want an auto the DMAX is hard to beat. The 6.0L off the shelf is a time bomb waiting to happen, and the 7.3L is a gutless pig that makes ALOT of noise. DODGE autos up til late 03 were pretty much junk, but could be built up and made better. Off the shelf stock it is tough to beat a CUMMINS with a 6 speed behind it, or a DMAX with an ALLISON. The 98-02 24 valve would be out of the picture for me simply because of the injection pump issues, and lets face it, a 6.5 as a dedicated tow rig for anything heavy isn't going to cut it compared to your current truck.

dodge has awesome frame paint, and I have a soft spot for the common rail with 6 speed manual only. the only full size truck I would even CONSIDER an auto is a GM product with either an ally or a hydra-matic.

so my vote vent to the 5.9L common rail, but that is only with a 6 speed manual.

if you want auto, I would go d-max/ ally with POR 15.

Back