• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

If you hear me cursing......

trouttrooper

Big Blocks ROCK!!!
Reaction score
Yup, that time of year again. Changing the oil on my truck. Who the F#$& designed the location of the oil filter!! They must be in cahoots with the kitty litter and soap companies because I have to use both each time I do this. Good thing I only have to do this twice a year at most.

Rant off. :D

Use a punch and put a hole in the bottom or lower side of the oil filter while the engine is hot. The oil will drain out and you will have a empty oil filter to change that won't spill over everything.

Tag the steering wheel 'do not operate' while you are letting it cool down and drain out as you don't want a beer/parts run to cause issues before you are done.

I've tried that route a few times. Always burn my arm because the crossover pipe is almost in the way as well. This is a cold engine change only for me. Have to use my longest screwdriver to even reach the filter so there's enough handle sticking out to hit with a hammer. By the time I pull the screwdriver out it has already poured all over the screwdriver and my hand. The only access to punch a hole is directly under and you can only see about 1/2 the filter. Also when the flow starts slowing down it will wick across the bottom of the filter and start dripping over the driveline and exhaust pipe. I guess I don't punch the hole in the right place, but I'm very limited on what I can access. I will wait until it quits dripping, but when I start unscrewing the filter there's always still a bunch of oil that comes out and down the sides of the filter. The only way I've found to get the filter off is to maneuver one of the big plastic sockets from the side over the top of the driveline and then use my fingers with my other hand to push it up onto the filter (whole hand won't fit). This tends to be where I burn my arm on the exhaust if it's hot because it is literally right there in the way. Then I use my 2 longest 3/8 extensions so I can put a wrench on it. There is physically no way to put your hand on this filter. I can touch it with my fingers and that's about it. The filter can't be removed/installed straight down. It won't fit between the driveline and oil pan. Generally I reach up underneath with my right fingers next to the exhaust and oil pan and reach over the top of the driveline with my left fingers. Between the two hands I unscrew it, try and support it with my right fingers so it doesn't tip, kinda work it up and over the driveline until my left hand can grasp it. They have that bastard tucked up there hidden really bad.

I was at the dealership once shortly after I got the truck and I asked them how the heck are you suppose to change it without getting covered in oil. The guys response was you don't.

Anyway, done now. Should be good for another 8-10 months :D

I looked at getting a "generic" one when I first got the truck but the way the lines came off the adapter it wouldn't fit. I have never checked to see if there is a specific one for that engine.

For the life of me I can't remember my '03 with 8.1 being all that difficult to change oil and filter.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I looked at getting a "generic" one when I first got the truck but the way the lines came off the adapter it wouldn't fit. I have never checked to see if there is a specific one for that engine.

summit racing has one, it runs between $130-$150. A lot of cash to cure a twice a year head ache.

I will say I waste more than that on beer. :hihi:

For the life of me I can't remember my '03 with 8.1 being all that difficult to change oil and filter.

Sent from my SCH-I535

was it 4wd? I could see where a 2wd setup would be a piece of cake to work on. It's the 4wd system that is right under the filter. Specifically the U joint that connects the drive shaft to the yoke is directly below the filter. Taking the U joint off doesn't gain anything because the yoke is still there.

summit racing has one, it runs between $130-$150. A lot of cash to cure a twice a year head ache.

I will say I waste more than that on beer. :hihi:

yaaaa, not spending that much. Be a different story if I did this more than once or twice a year.

sounds like it is pretty much the same as a 4wd 6.5. I crack the filter loose and let it drain (gets all over the ujoint), when the worst of it is done I unscrew it the rest of the way and roll it upright to ease it on out. not too bad a mess.

Sent from my SCH-I535

was it 4wd? I could see where a 2wd setup would be a piece of cake to work on. It's the 4wd system that is right under the filter. Specifically the U joint that connects the drive shaft to the yoke is directly below the filter. Taking the U joint off doesn't gain anything because the yoke is still there.
Yeah it was 4 wd. I remember it being messy but I also remember it was a cold only job. I ran it 60,000 miles so it had quite a few oil changes.
03 496.jpg

Always found it odd, guys starting and warming the engine to change oil..

Even more odd those who start and idle with no oil thinking it helps drain every last drop.

Anywho, yeah the driver side front prop shaft, and in my case non-stock oil cooler hoses makes it fun fun on the 93.

Take pride in your oil change. Don't take it to the chimpanzees at WalMart.

I'd venture a guess that it's like my Tahoe, where the filter is up and away, only sounds like 10x worse. What a pain in the ass that was, the 2x I DIY'd it.

sounds like it is pretty much the same as a 4wd 6.5. I crack the filter loose and let it drain (gets all over the ujoint), when the worst of it is done I unscrew it the rest of the way and roll it upright to ease it on out. not too bad a mess.
Exactly the way i do it but i use a smooth piece of aluminum bent in a U shape and hang that over the U-joint prior to unscrewing the filter and let it leak out in a pail,..no mess at all....well,..most times cause sometimes i butterfinger drop the filter over the wrong way:hihi:

Ooohhhhh, a rant thread! Was just doing this out loud and can't find any of my dogs.

Started changing the plugs, wires, rotor and cap on my 96 1500 yesterday. The more crap that Chevrolet was able to put "in the way" they did apparently. So, I just started pulling out stuff that I probably don't need anyways. There's the air filter box, air filter, and some other shiny stuff next to it. Got all that crap out of the way and now changing out the plugs is a breeze! Did I mention I refuse to put any of it back in the truck? That's all just there for cosmetic reasons and to give some kid in a sweat shop something to make and send to the US right?

Got all the plugs changed and Check Engine Soon light comes on. Easy fix tho, they now make colored electrical tape so I can choose what color I ignore the light with!

Seriously tho, whoever designed these things while keeping in mind that we do have to at least keep up normal maintenance on them was an idiot and has all his maintenance done for him and has probably never turned a durn wrench in his life.

I feel your pain Sir, the oil change for mine starts tomorrow if I don't accidentally forget to set the parking break on top of a hill from the lake.

(EDIT)p.s who was the other idiot that decided Torx had to be a vital part of everything in a Chevrolet? Gonna invite him to take a ride down to the lake with me.

Deranged

You guys think one of those aluminium oil filter sandwich adaptor things would work? Plug one of the ports then on the other run a sort section of hose with a plug/valve on it over to the side of the frame somewhere?

Couple things to keep in mind.
1. All shops want your oil changes, so they can give you the unfortunate news about some repair being needed that was found during the pm inspection. A lot of successful shops will do oil changes at a small loss just for this. auto-shop 101.

2. Dealerships learned this is a solid business practice in the 80s and send input back to the mfr about desired changes. Most dealerships see the in house mechanics as a necessary evil to be allowed to make $ from selling the new rides. This is also why some of the more frequent basic jobs have some odd things that make you wander why is it like that, a simple move could turn this 2 hour job into a half hour. Exactly- and that 1.5 hr increase makes the difference of a slight loss in the shop to a slight profit x number of vehicles that come back for it.

ie: All you dmax owners have really wandered why did they build this ffm system as a remote unit then mount it oddly tight with too short of hoses and wires to relocate it over a where you can do it much easier. Buddy of mine was in on that and they were considering a package uppgrade kit for fleet vehicles that would really consider it, it was only dropped when some prelim test fleets (oil co I worked for was one) demanded free kit as part of purchase agreement.

not to be a dick guys, but this is why I risk getting stuck on wet grass. 2wd is quite awesome for service. :) The filter hangs straight down, and is away from the exhaust enough that I dont get burned. this way, I can pull in from a trip and drop the oil, getting the maximum amount of sludge, etc. out of the engine.

It's not the wet grass I get worried about. It's the 2' of snow on top of ice, or 4" of nasty slimy mud and having to go up a steep incline. ;) . But like I've said before, the truck gets used for truck things. 95% of the time I'm driving my Saturn SL2. Heck, even during the winter on the rare occurrence I'm driving the truck around town I rarely put it in 4wd. The G80 does wonders.

Did a power slide to line up the Saturn to back up our driveway awhile back. Crank the wheel and hit the hand brake. Kids thought it was totally awesome. :D

Back