• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Idler Assembly from Gates

turbopower6

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Has anyone had any issues with the replacement idler from Gates that "replaces" the OEM idler assembly? I just received this though my local NAPA jobber and I must say I was disappointed in that the Gates product seemed smaller overall and not as robust as the factory part. The pulley is flat without side rails like the OEM is and the pulley itself seems slightly smaller. The adjustment hole is 3/8 instead of 1/2 inch on the OEM. I am just wondering if I should go to the dealer and get OEM again in the ac delco line. Any thoughts,comments or experience appreciated! This is on a 1996 K2500 Suburban 6.5.

The bearing can be changed in the idler if that is the problem, IIRC it's a 6203 bearing.

I just love how all the aftermarket mfr's say "oem" but are no where near the quality 1/2 the time. Find out the warranty and give it a try if they will replace the belt if it gets damaged under the failure. Other wise send it back or like mentioned above change just the bearing.

It's also the same bearing in the tensioner. The early pulleys had side rails OEM, later ones didn't in my experience. The bearing is a few bucks, why buy a new part?

Do you have the R4 compressor on the passenger side? (Aka 1995 and older). If so get the dealer part as aftermarket uses the later weak spring. It will unload the belt from the compressor load moving the weak spring tensioner and result in a sequel from the slipping belt.

Hi All,
It is a 6203 in there from NTN (China) as it is the factory tensioner assembly! Part # NTN 6203LHXC#/5CQM. I called them and of course the bearing installed is NLA since they (GM) decided to go with a higher friction seal on both sides. The trade off is less crap can get in the bearing but you have higher bearing heat due to the added seal friction. As well they claim the bearings and the pulley are put together as a unit to minimize out of balance issues and they discouraged me from replacing the bearing in the old pulley. Now I am guessing we have a fair amount of folks on the forum that have pressed out the old bearings and pressed in the "new" 6203 bearing and have gone thousands of miles with no issues. I am not seeing the "magic" they describe in the assembly process by Gates, Ever Kool, Dayco etc. in these tensioners. I betting they are made in Mexico by a guy making @.50 /hour pushing a button on an automated arbor press with a jig.

Does anyone know the torque value for the pulley to tensioner bolt and the torque for the T50 bolt that attaches the tensioner to the engine bracket?

Any thoughts form those of us out here on the wild side?

Back