• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I swear it never ends... starter?

Steve93mustanglx

Diesel fanatic!
Reaction score
OKie dokie. Recently, in the past 2 months, I have done the following... in an effort to get this rig reliable and worry free as it is my new daily driver.

Transgo shift kit (no issues after install)
New fuel filter (no issues after install)
New Batteries (no issues after install)
Oil change (no issues after install)
New 2-0 gauge welders cable from starter to battery (no issues after install)
All wires for batts 2-0 gauge welders cable, installed last Dec (no issues after install)
New PMD cable extension- (no issues after install)
New glow plugs (Bosch)- some trouble starting
New injectors- some trouble starting
KOJO chip- more frequent trouble starting
Boost bumped to 12 pounds.
Feed the beast completed MONDAY.
Air filter cleaned MONDAY

Here's what it is doing- started it up yesterday eve. Took 3 cycles to get it to start and then only barely. Sounded slow turning over... very slow... like dying batteries. Put meter to batts after starting- 14.35v.

This morning- took 3 key cycles to start again, but checked batts first. Again, 14.3 volts. It finally started but just barely. Drove fine. Volts after start were again 14+ volts.

After my drive this morning, turned it off. Immediately went for restart... it wouldnt. It cranked slow as hell. Eventually all I could here was the solenoid clunk. 12.7 volts after a few tries. Hooked up jumpers to other car. Only solenoid clunk.

Starter? I ask because every bad starter I have ever had died almost instantly, not over time (at least not audible like this one).

Thanks-

I'd also load test the batteries before you go for a starter. I've had 2 sets of batteries go bad that maintained their voltage but would not pass a load test. Something about the batteries were good but the connections to the posts were bad, so they would show full voltage but didn't have the cranking power. The first one I changed the starter off the gitgo and then put in new batteries. Luckily I was able to use the starter on another vehicle. Now I always load test the batteries.

Sounds like starter if bats are good.

On the reliability thing:

You're driving a 15 year old truck with just shy of 340 000 miles.

It's gonna break down from time to time.

Sorry, but it's better if you just accept it now and get used to opening the wallet somewhat regularly.

Good news is, 6.5 parts are relatively cheap in the diesel world.....

:)

Last edited:
Connections are perfect. Just had batts unhooked last weekend and cleaned already spotless connections. I would sure as heck hope new batts would not need to be load tested after... 2 or 3 months?? Interstate Megatrons... 1000 CA/850CCA... but i guess u never know.

Great White- I totally agree, which is why I went on a huge spending spree to get routine and periodic maintenance done. And performance upgrades (which, with light driving, have incredibly improved my MPGs). My hope was to get ahead and not have to worry for a while. Guess I am just wore out from all the work on it. Hell, I still can't find a bad ground under the dash that I have been looking for for years... that and being unemployed for 18 months and selling my new ultra reliable Honda hasn't helped my spirits, either.

I went through 2 sets in a year. New Nascar Selects. It's far easier to load test your batteries & know for a fact they are good or bad than it is to take the starter off and test it.
I'm guessing it's your starter but I was guessing the same thing on my own vehicles when I was proved wrong.
Seems I've seen a lot more bad new batteries in the last several years than I saw in the last 30 before that. I had never before seen a battery low on cranking amps that held it's voltage while failing a load test.

I bought a new starter when mine did that, cause the battery voltages were fine - but still did the same thing. Load test showed one battery with 350 CCA, and one with 7! Check them (free at Wal mart) before you waste a lot of time and money

I don't disagree, but, if it was hooked to another running vehicle and still wouldn't turn over... doesnt that more or less rule out batteries?

That's exactly the situation I had when the Suburban would not start. I finally got enough juice to get it started and it died shortly after unhooking the cables.

If the truck is providing no cranking amps of it's own you're relying totally on the jumpers.
Like I said I agree that it is probably your starter but I will no longer pull a starter without doing a load test on the batteries first. Once burnt twice shy

Will do just to rule it out. My truck is parked on an incline (naturally) and will be a PITA to get the starter out, so batts would be awesome if they fixed it.

I tried again tonight to start it before pulling off the accumulator (A/C). Nothing but a clunk. Hit starter with hammer... 1 clunk after that, then zero.

Hopin its batts, betting its the starter!

Well, my luck continues! Batteries tested fine. So... on to the !@#$ing starter. Yippee... And today's forecast? 96 glorious humidity-filled degrees. And I'm on 20+ degree inclined pavement when my air conditioned garage is 20 feet away. I am so !@#$ing excited I could just wet myself.

OK, I have a date with a fender liner. Catch you all later.

i'll have to post a pic. My house sits on a hill.

UPDATE: got starter out in 20 minutes...?!?!?!? Dang, that surprised me. Last time I fooled with it seemed to take much longer. Took to Auto Zone. Dead as a door nail.

Parking brake set, chocks, etc. Jacked up pass side but left wheel on. Safe as I could make it. Was able to get the fender liner out with no problem. Thank God- cuz taking the wheel off would have been... hairy.

Well, my luck continues! Batteries tested fine. So... on to the !@#$ing starter. Yippee... And today's forecast? 96 glorious humidity-filled degrees. And I'm on 20+ degree inclined pavement when my air conditioned garage is 20 feet away. I am so !@#$ing excited I could just wet myself.

OK, I have a date with a fender liner. Catch you all later.
sounds like you could use a winch in tha back of tha garage:D

eh... exagerated a bit. More like 60 feet. I have an eye bolt in the floor with a 4000 pound come-along (sp?) but dont trust it with something as heavy as the sub!

Back