• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I need some serious help with my transmission, leaking fluid ect.

Changing from a 2wd to 4wd you may as well just rebuild it as you are going to ruin and tear seals to get there.

Shop in town here will rebuild a 4x4 4L80E for $995.00 in and out plus "hard parts" like gears and bearings. Clutches and seals included. Usually runs me $1200 with new electronics and the 4th gear planet set replaced as they do wear out. Used to be an AAmco and now is Allstate transmission in Phoenix. Just saying shop if before you bother buying used.

Service Engine Soon light is just that - Emissions for the ENGINE! The light will not come on for transmission codes. Codes would be interesting if it indicates electrical vs. just slipping / undefined ratio.

This is interesting. On monstertrans.com they list rebuild kits for 91-96 and then 96 - up. If you throw in the difference in the force motors and there is your 96 only listing. But that still seems bogus to me. Looks like you could use a 97-up if the difference is only inside.
The monster in a box kit is 775$ BTW Plus what ever a converter is.

My transfercase is push button, and the thing about the 96 model year is what i was told by a mechanic and salvage yard.

Im getting tempted to do a manual swap. Waiting on phone calls tomorrow to find out about some 4l80Es

Thanks a lot for all of this info

My transfercase is push button, and the thing about the 96 model year is what i was told by a mechanic and salvage yard.

Im getting tempted to do a manual swap. Waiting on phone calls tomorrow to find out about some 4l80Es

Thanks a lot for all of this info
I'll say you're welcome for all. :hihi:
My transfer case is manual. Not sure why. This was a government truck. State not Military. IIRC there was a heavy duty option only the military, governments, and large companies like power, oil, telco could buy pickups and suburbans with. Maybe mine is one of those. There are several option codes I have not been able to decode. But I digress.

My buddy has a truck just like mine and same year but he has the sle mine is an slt and we both have the 4l80e and push button 4 wheel drive. Is any one sure if my t case will work with a standard 4 or 5 speed?

If the options for '96 were the same as my '98, then the push putton transfer case was an extra cost option. The floor shift (which I much prefer) came standard.

Any concerns I should have about the torque converter? could that be toasted or should I have it inspected?
Yes...replace it, the lockup clutch wears out and you might have a locked up stator sprag. It is an unusual situation these days where you would not replace the convertor with at least a rebuilt one, when rebuilding the trans because its worn out, due to the TCC being inside the convertor (its not in a few trans). Say if you broke the sun shell / shaft joint then you might not replace the converter on a low mileage trans.

Ok i have been thinking up ideas to get my next tranny upgraded. I have been shopping around for rebuilt torque converters but not sure about stall speed. Should i go with high stall speed or low stall speed? I do a lot of towing.

B&M offers a deeper pan with an increase in 3qts in fluid capacity and a remote mount filter which should also increase fluid capacity as well and help in filtration. Im pretty set on getting those two items.140-1.jpg140.jpg

And for shift kits, the transgo hd2 seems like the way to go from what i have been reading, I also want to add that to the tranny. Also with the shift kit department, jetperformance products offers this unit called, "Power Shift" this little unit plugs inline with the transmission harness and mounts in the cab. It has a 4 setting selector for different shifting styles, which i really like the sound of. Any comments about that?1af8f_4l80e-hd2.jpgT_Power Shift.jpg

Also, any particular pan filter I should use?

my intentions here are to add all of those upgrades to a used lower mileage tranny along with a high quality tranny fluid.

Anymore input about converters would be great and would love to hear some feedback about the jet performance power shift unit.

Thanks so much for all your help guys, it gives me so much more incentive to keep my truck and fix it up better then ever.

First off you are building a truck transmission so forget all the hot rod and race car parts. The HD2 is a good upgrade, While not really a shift kit its a lot what GM should have done in the first place. Shift kits in a computer controlled transmission are not like the old school stuff. They can do some good things like allowing gears to be held over the computers objection. Increasing the fluid capacity and using a external filter are OK but I don't see a lot of return on investment there. My suggestion is to forget the fancy stuff and a used trans, get a rebuild kit (and converter, stock or a low stall one for diesels) for the about same money and a ATSG manual for the 4L80E and rebuild it over the week end. And have a fresh trans. You might have to take a couple clutches and a shaft to a local shop and get them to use their tools to size the seals and put in the clutch snap rings. I have done them at home with a creative clutch press made of wood and threaded rod :hihi:

I am a little nervous about rebuilding it on my own. I figured a used low miles tranny would be a decent choice along with the upgrades i mentioned. Im not going for race car or hot rod status just thought they would be good upgrades to handle more power. Your saying its not worth increasing fluid capacity or increasing filtration?
I do not feel like blowing another tranny. Im kinda at a lose here now...

If I do choose to rebuild myself what special tools should i get?

And for a rebuild kit? What is a good kit to get ??

Thanks, i have been checking out youtube for some videos on the rebuild. Its giving me some more hope on this project

Back