• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I just raced my first Cummins!

n8in8or

I never met a project I didn’t like
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: The below account was done on a closed course......do not attempt at home :cool:

This is a text I sent to a friend of mine when I got home. A lot easier than retyping it all, ha.

Soooo, I totally just owned a Cummins!! First race with a diesel and I got him! I pulled out behind him, he was 3rd in a line of cars. You'll see in the pic I took later but he was the typical lifted Dodge with tires sticking out and a big exhaust tip. Shockingly his tow mirrors were folded down!!

Anyway as we were driving another big Dodge came at us in the other direction and this dude did a coal salute to him....so then I knew he was a playa. I stayed behind him for probably 10 miles on a 2 lane highway (I was on my way home from picking up a trailer hitch). Then we were finally on a divided 4 lane highway. We were stuck in traffic, but when it cleared he got on it and so did I. We got up to about 80 and I hung!

So then we were at a red light. I was stuck behind him in the left lane but he was first in line. He was kinda looking in his mirrors. So I powerbraked it just a touch, just in case. I didn't look at the boost gauge to see if I was even registering boost, but I just wanted to be ready. He takes off kind of normal and then stabs it. I stab it too....and I'm gaining on him!!! I clear the right lane so I change lanes and I'm still pulling on him!! Probably about 75-80 (wasn't watching speedo at that point) I get around him and move back to the left lane cuz there are cars in the right lane.....but I keep my foot in it. Finally I look at my speedo and it's buried. I happened to have Waze going on my phone and it shows 119. It hits 121 I think and I glance at the tach quickly and it looks like 3700....so I'm done. I back off and coast down to about 70. He slowly rolls past me and gives me a big thumbs up and smile. So bitchin!!!! I think I represented the 6.5 well tonight........

Here's a pic I snapped later when we were at another light. We didn't do anything - I had proven my point.

IMG_9721.JPG

This was a very fun night!!:D

Yeah they shoulda spent tie tire/wheel money on go fast stuff. :facepalm:

"Shockingly his tow mirrors were folded down!!"

Must not tow with it then... Who wants to risk breaking a mirror, it's a Dodge wrapper after all, folding it down and then adjusting it every time you hook and unhook...

If it wasn't for towing I'd set the Smarty to 7 (160 Horsepower Increase to 456 HP) - a bit more than the South Bend clutch I have is rated to take. It's a beast on 7 with the Stage 3 Garret Ball Bearing Howl. I am sure 9 +210HP would slip the clutch. :angelic: Tune 3 (60 Horsepower Increase to 365 HP) is all the cooling system, with the EVANS derate, can take towing grades.

Stock mine is 305HP 555 lb-ft (Crank HP no doubt). You are lighter (assumed crew/ext cab) and over the HP ballpark through 2007 5.9's!
Ref:
http://www.cumminshub.com/24v.html

Great, for some reason there are a lot of those jacked up, souped up Dodge Cummins trucks in my area. Everyone wants to make it sound like a big truck. Cummings might be a great engine, but sorry you would about have to give me a Dodge Truck. I can't make myself like them I would buy a Ford first.

First and foremost Chevy and GMC are my favorites of course.

Don't get me wrong the Dodge mechanical aspect is pretty good, its just the looks part I can't get past. I have never ever liked the looks of a Dodge truck for some reason, that's just me, if you like them thats ok with me, that's why we have different choices in this World.

Trust me I wasn't wanting it to sound like the Ford Powerstroke was more reliable than the Dodge Cummings. Not sure if I would ever buy a power stroke, they have a few gas engines that are pretty reliable. The 5.0 is not bad if you are not hauling real heavy I suppose and don't they have a 6.2 Liter for the F250. I think Saratoga has one maybe? Not sure how all those ECO Boost engines are going to work out, Ford has went ECO Boost crazy. As far as Fords I think they look pretty good, not bad at all.

Glad you got him. I love hearing wins over show vs go truck drivers. Lift, tires, and exhaust aint much performance mods.

I don't really like the posers that coal salute. Gives diesel's a bad image.

The jacked up ones I see usually are the ones blowing so much black smoke. Some of those guys just think its cool to have a Diesel and I bet some of them never tow anything bigger than a lawnmower trailer or jet ski. That's ok if it makes them happy, it is their money.

i would rather sell Dodge parts than own one.
you can go online to Waze and see all the info there if i'm not mistaken. been a while since i've done it.

Back