• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I just raced my first Cummins!

n8in8or

I never met a project I didn’t like
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: The below account was done on a closed course......do not attempt at home :cool:

This is a text I sent to a friend of mine when I got home. A lot easier than retyping it all, ha.

Soooo, I totally just owned a Cummins!! First race with a diesel and I got him! I pulled out behind him, he was 3rd in a line of cars. You'll see in the pic I took later but he was the typical lifted Dodge with tires sticking out and a big exhaust tip. Shockingly his tow mirrors were folded down!!

Anyway as we were driving another big Dodge came at us in the other direction and this dude did a coal salute to him....so then I knew he was a playa. I stayed behind him for probably 10 miles on a 2 lane highway (I was on my way home from picking up a trailer hitch). Then we were finally on a divided 4 lane highway. We were stuck in traffic, but when it cleared he got on it and so did I. We got up to about 80 and I hung!

So then we were at a red light. I was stuck behind him in the left lane but he was first in line. He was kinda looking in his mirrors. So I powerbraked it just a touch, just in case. I didn't look at the boost gauge to see if I was even registering boost, but I just wanted to be ready. He takes off kind of normal and then stabs it. I stab it too....and I'm gaining on him!!! I clear the right lane so I change lanes and I'm still pulling on him!! Probably about 75-80 (wasn't watching speedo at that point) I get around him and move back to the left lane cuz there are cars in the right lane.....but I keep my foot in it. Finally I look at my speedo and it's buried. I happened to have Waze going on my phone and it shows 119. It hits 121 I think and I glance at the tach quickly and it looks like 3700....so I'm done. I back off and coast down to about 70. He slowly rolls past me and gives me a big thumbs up and smile. So bitchin!!!! I think I represented the 6.5 well tonight........

Here's a pic I snapped later when we were at another light. We didn't do anything - I had proven my point.

IMG_9721.JPG

This was a very fun night!!:D

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Yeah they shoulda spent tie tire/wheel money on go fast stuff. :facepalm:

"Shockingly his tow mirrors were folded down!!"

Must not tow with it then... Who wants to risk breaking a mirror, it's a Dodge wrapper after all, folding it down and then adjusting it every time you hook and unhook...

If it wasn't for towing I'd set the Smarty to 7 (160 Horsepower Increase to 456 HP) - a bit more than the South Bend clutch I have is rated to take. It's a beast on 7 with the Stage 3 Garret Ball Bearing Howl. I am sure 9 +210HP would slip the clutch. :angelic: Tune 3 (60 Horsepower Increase to 365 HP) is all the cooling system, with the EVANS derate, can take towing grades.

Stock mine is 305HP 555 lb-ft (Crank HP no doubt). You are lighter (assumed crew/ext cab) and over the HP ballpark through 2007 5.9's!
Ref:
http://www.cumminshub.com/24v.html

BIGR

Lucky To Be Here
Reaction score
Great, for some reason there are a lot of those jacked up, souped up Dodge Cummins trucks in my area. Everyone wants to make it sound like a big truck. Cummings might be a great engine, but sorry you would about have to give me a Dodge Truck. I can't make myself like them I would buy a Ford first.

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score

BIGR

Lucky To Be Here
Reaction score
First and foremost Chevy and GMC are my favorites of course.

Don't get me wrong the Dodge mechanical aspect is pretty good, its just the looks part I can't get past. I have never ever liked the looks of a Dodge truck for some reason, that's just me, if you like them thats ok with me, that's why we have different choices in this World.

Trust me I wasn't wanting it to sound like the Ford Powerstroke was more reliable than the Dodge Cummings. Not sure if I would ever buy a power stroke, they have a few gas engines that are pretty reliable. The 5.0 is not bad if you are not hauling real heavy I suppose and don't they have a 6.2 Liter for the F250. I think Saratoga has one maybe? Not sure how all those ECO Boost engines are going to work out, Ford has went ECO Boost crazy. As far as Fords I think they look pretty good, not bad at all.

BIGR

Lucky To Be Here
Reaction score
Glad you got him. I love hearing wins over show vs go truck drivers. Lift, tires, and exhaust aint much performance mods.

I don't really like the posers that coal salute. Gives diesel's a bad image.

The jacked up ones I see usually are the ones blowing so much black smoke. Some of those guys just think its cool to have a Diesel and I bet some of them never tow anything bigger than a lawnmower trailer or jet ski. That's ok if it makes them happy, it is their money.

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
i would rather sell Dodge parts than own one.
you can go online to Waze and see all the info there if i'm not mistaken. been a while since i've done it.