• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I got killed by a Cummins :(

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
Straight up stopped at a light waiting on green.... Crushed by a Cummins off the line in an older 2500. Granted he was rolling smoke so dare I say not stock. But he even let off a couple times, playing with me, and I still couldn't produce the goods. He heard the HX40 spooling at the previous light and was ready to play at the next, as he was spooling hard as well.

The HX40 was at 19-23 PSI the whole time. With me rolling my tiny 6.5 coal. Highest EGTs 1100 (just before the yellow mark). I essentially pounded her from 0-70. My payload was two 8 years old kids and full cooler of beer/water.

Embarrassing. LOL And I have just about all the reasonable bolt-on's a 6.5 can get!

Note: this was my first diesel showdown. And the first time hammering out the HX40 so hard.

This is why you need a DURAMAX lurking under the hood. They really wonder how a 6.5 can run like that when it takes off.

I'm putting all the required mods on but when the 6.5 dies I'm going with a cummins re-power.

Ferm, I remember in one of your threads you were able to get the duramax to kind of sound like a cummins with EFI live. any chance of getting a little bit of 6.5L rattle to a duramax for the ultimate illusion? :)

sorry for the loss of victory pillow, any new plans for future success?

Ferm, I remember in one of your threads you were able to get the duramax to kind of sound like a cummins with EFI live. any chance of getting a little bit of 6.5L rattle to a duramax for the ultimate illusion? :)

sorry for the loss of victory pillow, any new plans for future success?

Doubt I could give it an IDI sound, it is pretty characteristic of an indirect injected engine to have that unusual diesel clatter.

Ferm that must put a big grin on you face havin that LB7 under the hood being able to put down some big power in that older body style. I know I would :) I put an offer to purchase a acreage with a 11 year old 60x40 shop last week. If it goes through im seriously thinkin about doing a build like yours. Just on a half tun extcab shortbox. Just have it in the corner and work on it here and there type deal. And that sucks about getting killed by a cummins. I never got a chance to race one when I was running the hx35 on my truck. I can tell you that I was pulling away from 01-04 chevy 5.3s though.

This is why you need a DURAMAX lurking under the hood.

THIS! Or a Cummins repower :)

The Dodge was an extended cab with 6' bed. Two guys in it.

Actually I have always wanted to do a 70-72 Chevy C20 Suburban with a beefy diesel conversion. Maybe one day.

No worries on the beating. As Great White said, I am okay with the Burb being a little tugger :) I am pretty much done with anymore wrenching for power.

.... As Great White said, I am okay with the Burb being a little tugger :) I am pretty much done with anymore wrenching for power.

Pretty much where I am with my 6.5 for now....pulls the trailer fine, gets me back and forth to work.

Next reincarnation (think: years from now) is planned to be a bit more "wild" but it still won't break 275-300 most likely....

Cummins engine is simple and hard to beat for the money. My little Isuzu 4cyl is "capable" of more tq/hp than the 6.5.

Cummins engine is simple and hard to beat for the money. My little Isuzu 4cyl is "capable" of more tq/hp than the 6.5.

Little is a little ambiguous, considering it weighs in near the same as the 6.5. Built tough to be able to build a lot of torque.

The programming and DS4 is the limiting factor, compared to a Cummins with a VE pump. With a few tweaks to the programming one can get a bit more fuel than normal, just not something necessarily for the daily driver tunes. Of course, you also need Leroy's FRC-10 LP, and Patricks FTB2.0 to support any reasonable 0-60mph runs.

We can always guess the Ram truck had 4.10 gears, but if he was rocking 35" mud tread tires and a lift and still pulling away that is kind of embarressing.

Granted he was rolling smoke so dare I say not stock ....... as he was spooling hard as well.

That doesn't bother me near as much as a guys in a bone stock showroom truck that act like they are big know it all Diesel truck guys. Especially if they have only put on some wheels and a chrome exhaust tip and think they have improved the performance.

That doesn't bother me near as much as a guys in a bone stock showroom truck that act like they are big know it all Diesel truck guys. Especially if they have only put on some wheels and a chrome exhaust tip and think they have improved the performance.

If the exhaust tip came with a sticker that he put on the window, then that adds an easy 50 hp according to ricer mentality.

Little is a little ambiguous, considering it weighs in near the same as the 6.5. Built tough to be able to build a lot of torque.
By little I meant displacement. 3.9L I still love my old 6.5 though and will be tweeking alittle on it shortly.
If the exhaust tip came with a sticker that he put on the window, then that adds an easy 50 hp according to ricer mentality.
I put my DiamondEye sticker on mine. :rolleyes5:

Back