• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I found the noise and think i found the oil pressure drop

Found a 99 municipal plow 3/4 ton truck on an auction site, 134,000 miles.

Wife was not interested because it had a 6.5 in it.
Truck sold for $4400 /w plow.

So I put this list together for her to find something that she'll approve.
Any corrections, additions or improvements?

3/4 extended cab long bed
3/4 extended cab short bed
3/4 crew cab short bed
3/4 regular cab long bed

Installing a 7.5 foot Western Pro plow.​

Engine version listed by preference
GM (Chevy or GMC)

Diesel Duramax 6.6L
06-07 RPO LBZ
late04 - 05 RPO LLY
03 - 04 RPO LB7
No 01 or 02 LB7's known injector and head gasket issues.

Gas engine
07 - 09 Vortec 6000 6.0 liter RPO L76
Any other 6.0L gas

Notes: prefer diesel, for gas truck only GM.
LBZ is best engine before emissions hit. The newer version lose mileage due to emissions.
The early LB7's are known for injector / headgasket issues. most all of those issues are fixed in the later LB7's. Biggest improvement in the LLY is external injectors (cheaper and easier to replace due to reduce labor)

The L76 Vortec has active fuel management. This should mean better mileage

Ford (F250 super duty)

Diesel Powerstroke 7.3L (international 444)
99 to early 03

No 6.0L, oil cooler, egr, blown head gaskets (natural habitat, is in the shop)

Notes: F250 7.3L PS is considered by some to be one of the better overall packages.

Dodge

Diesel 5.9L Cummins (6 cylinder)
94.98 2nd gen 12 valve
03-06 4th gen Common Rail 24v

Notes: Cummins is considered one of the best engines, the ram truck is one of the weakest trucks. Suspension and brakes wear quickly.

In the mean time, I keep looking. A couple 03-05 Dmax's are in the area with low miles and close to the budget.

I'd seriously recommend LLY or above due to the injector replacement ease compared to LB7. You CAN'T go wrong with LBZ but you're in the $25k+ range. They bring a premium. And no, John, it isn't... ;)

Thanks Mike,

I would like to get an LBZ but a late LB7 is better for the budget.

The hurdle is getting buy in on this one.

:)
Early or late LB7 makes little to no difference. Most of the head gaskets that would have failed have by now, and they ALL use the same injectors. And don't be fooled, LLY's lose injectors as well, just not as often as LB7's.

I was reading a diesel power article on LLys losing head gaskets due to the high drive pressure of the VGT.

personally because of EGR and VGT I am keeping an eye out for an LB7 ZF6 6 speed manual.

what about buying a decent 6.5L or a LB7 with issues and get it fixed? big money saver IMO.

I was reading a diesel power article on LLys losing head gaskets due to the high drive pressure of the VGT.

personally because of EGR and VGT I am keeping an eye out for an LB7 ZF6 6 speed manual.

what about buying a decent 6.5L or a LB7 with issues and get it fixed? big money saver IMO.
Sounds like somebody didn't know what they were talking about. Some head gaskets let loose, a whole lot more don't. ANY of them can lose a head gasket, not just because of a VVT(NO DURAMAX uses a VGT).

Just guessing here but I wonder if the diesel power guy might also be a power stroke guy. They can fill you in on all kinds of horror stories about DMaxes.
Also can tell you how trouble free power strokes are

Sent from my SCH-I535

Just guessing here but I wonder if the diesel power guy might also be a power stroke guy. They can fill you in on all kinds of horror stories about DMaxes.
Also can tell you how trouble free power strokes are

Sent from my SCH-I535

Well the 7.3's anyhow, :thumbsup:

Well the 7.3's anyhow, :thumbsup:

The story I got on Ford, and have read, the direct injection triple 4 was a pretty good engine. Stay away from the newer ones, lots of problems and spend lots of money to try to fix them.

Update on the search:

The wife has vetoed the first candidate, 06 K2500 LT /w 6.0 for $19K.

The story I got on Ford, and have read, the direct injection triple 4 was a pretty good engine. Stay away from the newer ones, lots of problems and spend lots of money to try to fix them.

Update on the search:

The wife has vetoed the first candidate, 06 K2500 LT /w 6.0 for $19K.

What engine is that in?

Why not an earlier Dmax or another 6.5?

GM 6.0 gasser in a 2500HD is a good choice if there's not a diesel in your future

I know of a CCSB LB7 Dmax ally 4wd with known bad injectors for 8500 bucks. this way you know they are shot and need changed.

Back