• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I CAN"T FIND A RADIATOR FOR MY '84 DIESEL BLAZER!

If you have the wider radiator that was offered for the 6.2 then your out of luck finding a new one from an aftermarket source. You might find a NOS one in a military surplus place since I believe the M1008 and M1009 used the bigger radiators. I could be wrong on that though. Otherwise you will have to swap to a BBC style radiator that is a little narrower but the same height as the one offered with the 6.2. I wanted to put the wider radiator in my k20 but had no luck finding one and I didn't like the gas radiator options so I'm swapping in a 2nd gen Cummins radiator.

MYes put an anode in your rig.
You simply take it out and look at it once every few years. If it gets all used up - buy another one and put it in. As long as it is still there- the radiator, thermostat housing, etc is all being protected.

Imagine if you put one in and it never corrodes for 40 years- you rig was the one in a million and you wasted. $10 one time.

Now imagine your rig consuming a $10 anode every 4 years and you keep it for 40 years- that’s 10x$10= $100. But it saved you from replacing the radiator, thermostat housing and crossover, etc.

They aren’t special- don’t worry about name brand. Amazon has brand name for twice price of another and looking at who makes them clearly same products.

If you don’t like this style there are others.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
MYes put an anode in your rig.
You simply take it out and look at it once every few years. If it gets all used up - buy another one and put it in. As long as it is still there- the radiator, thermostat housing, etc is all being protected.

Imagine if you put one in and it never corrodes for 40 years- you rig was the one in a million and you wasted. $10 one time.

Now imagine your rig consuming a $10 anode every 4 years and you keep it for 40 years- that’s 10x$10= $100. But it saved you from replacing the radiator, thermostat housing and crossover, etc.

They aren’t special- don’t worry about name brand. Amazon has brand name for twice price of another and looking at who makes them clearly same products.

If you don’t like this style there are others.

Hooooh boy. And I just got a real nice drain cock installed into the radiator that I can shove a hose onto and not make a big mess. 😖😵‍💫😹😹😹😹
Probably this winter, if I run out of things to do, I’ll be dropping the pan and the timing cover. While it is drained down I’ll move the temp sender from the back of the right side cylinder head to the right side block off plate and install the anode back there where the sending unit is now located.
Thank You guys for reminding Me about the anode thing.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I always thought anode were made of copper or some such and had a place to attach a ground wire to. maybe that's just me and my brain over thinking LOL.

Question: are anodes good to use when you have the OE plastic tanks on the radiator?

The anode will have an attached piece to the metal.

An anode is to protect metal. So even though the radiator tanks are plastic- it will protect the aluminum cores. It also protects the aluminum in the engine.

Even in all cast iron engines it helps stop rust.

I would take to a good radiator shop and have them test it, also have them rod out the inside and check for issues it might have. the condition of the tanks and what not. replace the drain valve with a new one that is easy access too, one you can attach a small hose to and catch all the coolant when you need to drain.

GM does not sell these anymore,at least where I live. Cant find one in local wrecking yards either.
A few years back I replaced mine with a (GM) aluminium one. It now leaks in the cooling (aluminum) part.
Help!
I had the same problem, so I went to a local radiator shop and he order just a core and then removed the tanks from the old radiator and resoldered them onto the new core for $400.00

Back