• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hydraboost conversion questions.

Darkrider

Lobo Solitario
Reaction score
Ok as i mentioned in my previous brake thread i picked up an '89 K3500 and while the braking is alright for its size i have gotten used to having the Hydraboost set up in my '94. What will i need to convert my K3500 to hydra boost?

Booster
lines that go between the power steering pump and booster and the steering box

Anything else?

You'll need the booster, possibly a master cylinder most likely, the hoses, and a power steering pump for a hydroboost system. The steering box will be teh same as far as I know.

You bought a K3500 and it didn't come factory with hydroboost? That's weird.

Anyway I'll add to it, be sure you use a quality brand of actual power steering fluid instead of transmission fluid. Believe me, I'm generally the guy that has always used ATF in my power steering systems, but hydroboost puts a much heavier load on the system and the ATF will foam before real power steering fluid will. Run plenty of it through the system to flush any ATF out of your steering box if you were previously using that.

For bleeding the system, follow the GM procedure to avoid damaging the system. Most people do a bleed procedure very close to this, but details do matter:

bleedsteering.jpg

You might find that the brake pedal in your truck needs to be swapped out for one from a similar-year model equipped with hydroboost. I can't remember if the difference was simply because 88-94 and 95-up have a different arc to them or if it was related to hydroboost. Been too long since I played with that many different parts combos.

Richard

Thanks for the info guys! Hydraboost is def on my to do list with this truck. So I understand correctly I may need to pull the brake pedal from the hydraboost donor if its 95+?