• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40WII

marshmulisha199

Reaction score
where can i buy the hx40wii turbo and will it bolt right up to my 1992 detroit 6.5 in the gmc 2500. my stock turbo is broken and wont spool up so looking to replace yet upgrade at the same time. thanks yal.truckasdf.jpeg

Yes and no. the Hx402 will bolt up but you have to have a down pipe adapter or make a custom down pipe. I have one on my truck and love it. the truck runs way cooler and pulls great. the install will take the better part of a day but you will never regret it.

There is a bolt on turbo sold by a site supporting vendor here http://www.ateamturbo.com/ now another option also is to buy a GM-8 turbo (latest/ possibly best version from GM for the 6.5, but you will need to buy/make a TM mechanical WG control) from somebody who has gone ATT or HX route, those are not that expensive, what are you trying to accomplish restore driveability or get a little more grunt.

Your 92 being a mechanical IP will also need to have some tweaks made to it to spool either the ATT or HX to full potential. I suggest you PM member War Wagon & pick his noggin he's run both the ATT & HX with a mechanical IP and probaly has some sage advise on best way to go about the swap and gain some additional power.

How fresh is your engine, some will swear by the HX, I've heard results reported it is the best thing ever, and also reports it is marginal improvement over the GM turbo.

One thing I reserve caution with HX on a hi mile engine since it has to run high boost levels to get max power out of it, you may want to seriously consider the ATT over it, as it operates well withing the design parameters of the engine design and will not put your engine at risk like a HX at max boost can, especially on a engine that has some age & hard miles on it.

Another thing I and many like about ATT is 1-3 mpg gain on avg after install as well as lowered EGT and cooler operating temps with more grunt.

No it will not mess up your motor and there are people running it on stock engines with no problems. The issue of these engine not likeing high boost comes after the GMx series not being good for the engine over ~14psi. The HX is mostly untested as far as longevity and long term effects on our engine while the ATT has been through +50K miles of towing on a few members trucks. So far most of the HX reports arent bad.

You can find knockoff hx turbos on Ebay.

Really happy with my ATT. Would not go back. But I don't have it on a mechanical injected truck either. I might be in the future though. Thinking of getting one for my daughters 6.2L.

I wasn't knocking HX's Tanner, just expressing my concern that you hit on as well, that as an unknown to where a engine has been operated in past that with the HX's there is a potential (unquantified as of yet) that because the HX's have capability of 20+ boost and IMO 14+ is too much on a engine with time on it (I self limit to 14 max when towing big even with ATT) that one should take high miles into the decision making process.

On a fresh built engine or recent head gasket/stud replacement the HX won't overly stress the engine, I just have reservations with elevated boost pressures the HX has to run to match the grunt the ATT delivers.

so att is the way to go?? and will it make my truck black smoke?? if not what will, my buddy has the same truck but 93 and wants his to roll coal

so att is the way to go?? and will it make my truck black smoke?? if not what will, my buddy has the same truck but 93 and wants his to roll coal

"Rolling coal" is not good for these engines and is, IMO, rather douchey.

I suggest you spend time in the FAQ's and searching. You'll learn a lot.

I'll try to say this as respectfully as possible. Owning a truck that runs 11 second 1/4 miles has an excuse to "roll coal". "Rolling coal" in a 160hp IDI 6.5L doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look like an immature douche that can tune worth a damn. If your interest is to puke gobbs of expensive fuel out your tailpipe all over the place than put a plastic bag over your air-cleaner. But don't come crying to us when it throws a rod, melts a piston, or... blows a turbo apart.

Now, on a more professional note. Both the ATT and the HX-XX series turbo's are an excellent choice. The ATT is tried and true and, as stated above has a good reputation around here if you ignore the politics. The HX40II is a Chinese knock off turbo of the genuine HOLSET turbo's. That being said, true longevity of that turbo is still unknown (you get what you pay for, and less than $300 aint much) I believe Bruce's "kit" allows one to run a genuine HOLSET HX35 or an HX40, which is a turbo used by CUMMINS on there ISB and ISC/ISL engines respectively. Either way, any of the above turbo's will be an upgrade over the Borg-Warner GM turbo's.

The purpose of a good turbo is to clear up smoke from junk turbos. An att has enough lag that it can smoke but has said it runs best when tuned for less smoke. The heat from unused fuel is hard on these engines since they don't have amazing cooling systems to begin with.

TD: I wasn't trying to correct you in any way just explaining why most prefer the att if they going to put a turbo on a rig that might have unknown internals. The att also doesn't lack in the power department from what I hear, I have a true hx 40 16cm I am itching to try while I wait for money to collect in my att fund. Personally I will wait for the hx cko to have more miles in test mode before I put money down for one, I got my hx 40 for cheap and plan to use it on my tractor after I get an att or 2

On a fresh built engine or recent head gasket/stud replacement the HX won't overly stress the engine, I just have reservations with elevated boost pressures the HX has to run to match the grunt the ATT delivers.

How is this true? Have you run both turbos?

You don't have to run 20psi on the knock off hx40II a spring actuator can be used and boost can be tuned down to as low as 12 psi and will still yield very good performance.

Bigbluechevy- that kit only works with the knock off hx40II and Holset hx35w and not the HX40

The att is more likely to smoke more off the line due to the larger non gated exhaust housing But that helps at cruise speeds. The lag will only be increased with higher gears.

How is this true? Have you run both turbos?

You don't have to run 20psi on the knock off hx40II a spring actuator can be used and boost can be tuned down to as low as 12 psi and will still yield very good performance.

Bigbluechevy- that kit only works with the knock off hx40II and Holset hx35w and not the HX40

The att is more likely to smoke more off the line due to the larger non gated exhaust housing But that helps at cruise speeds. The lag will only be increased with higher gears.

The statement you made regarding the smoke and lag is untrue. If the truck is properly tuned it will not smoke nor " lag ". The tunes out there are incorrect. The only tune I have looked at that is close to correct is KOJO's tune. I have my own tune and have no smoke and more lower end than I have ever had with my ATT. Turbo lights at 1300 rpm so I would check yourself first, before making the same statements that you condemn others for. JUST my humble opinion, cause I don't think you ever ran both turbos unless I am incorrect.

The purpose of a good turbo is to clear up smoke from junk turbos. An att has enough lag that it can smoke but has said it runs best when tuned for less smoke. The heat from unused fuel is hard on these engines since they don't have amazing cooling systems to begin with.

TD: I wasn't trying to correct you in any way just explaining why most prefer the att if they going to put a turbo on a rig that might have unknown internals. The att also doesn't lack in the power department from what I hear, I have a true hx 40 16cm I am itching to try while I wait for money to collect in my att fund. Personally I will wait for the hx cko to have more miles in test mode before I put money down for one, I got my hx 40 for cheap and plan to use it on my tractor after I get an att or 2

Tanman the ATT does not lag at all, I have found from Thefermanator that the tunes out there are not correct for the ATT. The tune I am running right now does not smoke at all off the line or at pretty much any point where I run it. I t has taken quite some effort to properly tune it. Kojo should have the first prottype tune run on an OBD 2 truck hopefully very soon.So it is checked to make sure that it performs as it should. And 6.5 L is running a manual pump that smokes just for a second on heavy acceleration then lights fine. I know how to set up the manual pumps for the ATT as well. so it is about making all of the parts work together to get the best performance from a combination. I also run more fuel through mine and get lower coolant temps with the tune even under high ambient temps, high fuel and load. So it is about tuning.

ALSO not sure why everyone talks about smoke some diesel smoke is inevitable my TDI smokes and it gets 49 MPG so not sure how all this fits in.

like i stated, i dont want to smoke. i hate that shit. my buddy wouldnt shut up til i asked. and taking into consideration that yal r all gunna have a pissing contest on whats better and who knows more all i wanted to know was what turbo is better than the borg for just a DD

like i stated, i dont want to smoke. i hate that shit. my buddy wouldnt shut up til i asked. and taking into consideration that yal r all gunna have a pissing contest on whats better and who knows more all i wanted to know was what turbo is better than the borg for just a DD

That is really up to you on what turbo you want: it is a matter of personal preference, Get an 80 dollar rebuild kit for your gm eight and keep what you got and be done with it. Problem solved for cheap money. One solution. By the way welcome to the forum.

As far as the perceived pissing contest :mad2::???::eek::skep:, nope.

Tanman the ATT does not lag at all, I have found from Thefermanator that the tunes out there are not correct for the ATT. The tune I am running right now does not smoke at all off the line or at pretty much any point where I run it. I t has taken quite some effort to properly tune it. Kojo should have the first prottype tune run on an OBD 2 truck hopefully very soon.So it is checked to make sure that it performs as it should. And 6.5 L is running a manual pump that smokes just for a second on heavy acceleration then lights fine. I know how to set up the manual pumps for the ATT as well. so it is about making all of the parts work together to get the best performance from a combination. I also run more fuel through mine and get lower coolant temps with the tune even under high ambient temps, high fuel and load. So it is about tuning.

ALSO not sure why everyone talks about smoke some diesel smoke is inevitable my TDI smokes and it gets 49 MPG so not sure how all this fits in.

Just a difference in peoples definition of LAG. I wasn't trying to stir the pot or say it was a terrible laggy turbo that cant pull off the line. I want one myself and just expect to have a puff off the line then go. Not everybody has your tuning and those of us without that us average folks might see some lag. I will need programming for OBD1 myself.

The smoking statements are from him wanting to roll coal like a improperly tuned cummins owner. My dmax can lay down a puff of smoke then haze but it wont roll thick smoke unless I try (it also has fuel pressure and injector issues)

If you have the coin to drop on an ATT then IMHO (with no first had experience yet) I would go with the ATT in a heart beat.

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of info to work with on here.

I have run both turbo's on my 1995. My 1993 with an auto and 4.10 in the rear does really well with the ATT. The ATT being a "bolt on kit" comes with everything you need to swap the factory turbo cept a few hose clamps. The HX40II is a PIA install compared to the ATT requiring things to be moved, battery post relocation, etc. Good luck with issues from eBay sellers. The ATT is well supported. The HX40II also has a waste gate that needs to be adjusted. When it pops open while maladjusted you get smoke and feels like you hit a brick wall. Both turbo's are a vast improvement over stock.

You will want to go with a 4" exhaust and 4" converter if your truck is required to have a kitty. My 1995 does and has 10,000 miles with a 4" kitty and the ATT. You will want to remove the snorkel in the fender.

With small vs. large turbo's you are trading the 6 PSI of boost and power at low RPM for power in the higher RPM. My 1993 gets to higher RPM quick enough that the stoplight slowness is overcome in the top end. The GMX is providing boost about the time the starter kicks out: No throttle and you have 6 PSI of boost at 2000 RPM. YUCK! The ATT will boost with throttle at freeway speeds (2200+ RPM for me) and drop to 0 with no throttle. The GMX just opens it's waste gate more with throttle at freeway speeds.

The cooling system has to work less with a larger turbo. Pulling 7% grades to Payson the fan was screaming on every hill with the GMx. The trip to Payson with an ATT only had the low temp Kennedy Diesel fan come on 3 times not on every hill.

There is tuning going on for both turbo's to help the low end smoke and improve them overall.

Your buddy that wants smoke needs to sell his 6.5 and get a 5.7 Olds NA diesel to abuse like that. Those would smoke! Or after he blows the engine he could post it on here and interest someone in an engine swap project.

Just a difference in peoples definition of LAG. I wasn't trying to stir the pot or say it was a terrible laggy turbo that cant pull off the line. I want one myself and just expect to have a puff off the line then go. Not everybody has your tuning and those of us without that us average folks might see some lag. I will need programming for OBD1 myself.

The smoking statements are from him wanting to roll coal like a improperly tuned cummins owner. My dmax can lay down a puff of smoke then haze but it wont roll thick smoke unless I try (it also has fuel pressure and injector issues)

If you have the coin to drop on an ATT then IMHO (with no first had experience yet) I would go with the ATT in a heart beat.

Absolutely no problem all is good, and once I get the tune done down to the tee, I will make it available to the guys with OBD 1 that buy a turbo from me. That way they get the correct tune right off the bat, Now the OBD 2 stuff is between TheFerminator and Kojo, I have or will give both of them the finished tune to do with what they please. Got .2 tenths of a pound of boost at 1293 in fifth gear at 30 miles an hour no need to shift gears anymore as much as I had to and the third fourth gear large split is almost non existent anymore. Totally different truck

Granted I am running a manual pump, I also have a nowhere near stock turbo setup haha. I find it hard to get any smoke with that valve. I know I sound counter productive sometimes, but there are times when cars are about 6 inches off my rear bumper that I wouldnt mind laying down a smoke screen. When I use to be able to, cars always backed off. Diesels nice in that aspect lol

Back