• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX35 Users Technical Help needed

fallout

Reaction score
I am in the middle of swapping an HX35W on my truck. My questions are about the Oil Feed lines.

I know that the thread pitch on the CHRA for the HX35 series turbos is an M12x1.5 oring fitting. Does the stock 6.5 turbo oil feed line thread into this or did you have to use an adapter?.

Does anyone have a PN for the GM Factory Turbo oil feed line?

Any help is as always appreciated.

100_3929.jpg100_3930.jpg

Ask and receive,

Its an 1985 Suburb (alanche). Motor is a late 2000 GEP Optimizer block out of a Humvee. I rebuilt the motor last year or about 2000 miles ago.

I am using the banks 6.2 diesel Exhaust manifold and some of the parts from the kit. I sandblasted the manifold(s) and turbine housing and coated them with VHT Flameproof. The one shot is my field expedient Curing Oven. The wife would throw a fit If i used our kitchen oven. I was gonna go with the Cilgen Satin Black Ceramic from Techline but figured I would try the VHT first. I am looking more for rust prevention then heat reduction. If it doesnt hold up I can always recoat it later.

Turbo is a China Knockoff HX35W from the auction site. I am actually kinda impressed with the quality (Time will tell). The fit and finish on this thing is more than I expected. Will see what happens long term. If it doesnt last than it was only 270.00 wasted.

as long as it does not come apart and take the motor with it....:D
Thanks for the pics...I know what you mean, wifey wasn't happy with my intake manifold in the dishwasher either...:rof:

Oil pressure line, I just used an adapter to go from the GM pipe thread fitting to Holsets metric thread. So its a bolt on deal too. 9235-12-04 and 9500-12MM ,from
discounthydraulichose.com

The GM line is common 45º flare at the turbo.

Few pics here,

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=21896

I orderd the adapter a few weeks ago along with getting an extra for tanman...
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...M8Hc0QGrrLD5CA
This is the one i have, midniteplowboyy helped me in finding it also when i waz in need. I have pics somewhere too, trying to find.

The HX35W that I have has a 3 inch v-band outlet, I am piecing together a downpipe from pieces of a duramax exhaust that I have. and about a 2 foot piece of the original banks turbo downpipe.

I have alot more room to play with regarding down pipe since the banks 6.2 manifold mounts the turbo so far to the front side of the engine. To give you an idea the banks manifold mounts the turbo about inline with where your serpentine belt would be. Almost looks like an accessory hanging off the front of the motor.

From the threads that I have rummaged it looks like most that have done the conversion in the 90's model trucks modify the rear exhaust housing plate on the turbo to mount up to there original down pipes. The cast piece is removeable on the W Series HX35's and you can by steel plate blanks on the auction site to custom fab about whatever you want for the exhaust routing.

What are ya'll doing for a downpipe with this turbo. I see midnightplowboy looks like he made his???

They sell a bolt on flange for the turbine housing so you can get rid of the v-band clamp there and save some space. This way the downpipe bolts directly to the turbo without the v-band adapter in between. Plus its 3" outlet instead of whatever dodge used(2-1/2 or 2-3/4). There is usually some on Ebay, thats where I bought my last one for this cummins swap. This saves you a couple inches. ChicagoTDP made mine and I modified it to fit the Jardean exhaust and I added a heatshield.

Attachments

• !Bw3TtR!!2k~$(KGrHqR,!hwEv1+z)szkBMK6-UltPQ~~_35.JPG
    !Bw3TtR!!2k~$(KGrHqR,!hwEv1+z)szkBMK6-UltPQ~~_35.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 88
Thats a good idea, just weld the exhaust elbow to that bolt on plate to save like an inch for the elbow. And when the knockoff guys advertise 3" V-band I guess that means smaller pipe than that with the outer lip of the band 3".

I need to order one of those plates. Is there any type of gasket between there? Or just hi-temp silicone? Sorry to steal..

I need to order one of those plates. Is there any type of gasket between there? Or just hi-temp silicone? Sorry to steal..

Cummins used a steel shim/gasket in between. But I just coated both halves with some copper anti-seize, this works just fine if your surfaces are flat.

Buddy, I think most of the v-band coupler kits are listed by pipe size, but you have to be careful just because it fits a pipe dont mean it will fit another v-band flange correctly. I have two different external sized v-band flanges at the shop that fit 3" pipe, ones about 1/4" smaller, this makes them hard to line up. Its best to get both measurements from the seller if your trying to hook to another brand v-band, if you just splicing a pipe for removal and using both halves it dont matter then. I love v-bands, thats all I use if I have room, they make it so nice when you have to remove later, well worth the extra money in saved aggravation. If you look around you can get them for $15-20 bucks.

This is the one i have, midniteplowboyy helped me in finding it also when i waz in need. I have pics somewhere too, trying to find.

And it is still sitting on my shelf..... I am selling the 93 but I have 2 other 6.2 engines and a set of 6.5 heads I am going to build as a mule engine for my 94 (Ol' Blue). It will get the Holset and 4in DP. I like the 4in DP for the option of upgrading to a HX 40.

And it is still sitting on my shelf..... I am selling the 93 but I have 2 other 6.2 engines and a set of 6.5 heads I am going to build as a mule engine for my 94 (Ol' Blue). It will get the Holset and 4in DP. I like the 4in DP for the option of upgrading to a HX 40.

I got the parts ordered up last night, Thanks for the link midnite.

Ordered the Turbo Oil Supply line too. I ordered 3 different sizes of 1/4 NPTF to SAE 45 adapters since the only reference to size that I could find to them under the GM Part number for them was that it was a 1/4 NPTF by EXT 5/8 fitting. The part is no longer available through GM and I couldnt find an SAE 45 fitting with 5/8 External threads. I question the accuracy of the listing in the parts computer as I had found some other posts on different forums where people had ordered the part number for the connector and it was to big. I ordered 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 SAE 45 x 1/4 NPTF. Hopefully one of them works. There is a hydraulic fitting store in town and can always get them from him but needed to have a minimum order of 20.00 before Discount Hose would allow me to checkout.

The V-band flange on the back of the turbo is 3 inch. The flange I cut off the duramax exhaust cat pipe that I have mounts up nice and snug to it.

If the parts come in by this weekend I hope to have everything mounted up and running. Dont know if I am going to get to drive it much yet as I think the 700r4 and np208 that are in the truck are sold and will probably be pulling them too this weekend. Then I get to finish tracking down parts for my NV4500 swap and hopefully have it running and driving for deer season. So much to do so little time.

Thanks for the help.

Back