• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to set timing on a mechanical pump?

ShawnR

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever come across a good doc describing how to set the timing on a DB2 mechanical injector pump? I am going to be transferring mine over to the new block tomorrow and have no clue how to set the timing other than the little dots on the gears.

Do you just get it running and fine tune by ear, or is there a special procedure?

If you didn't mark the pump to housing before removal then
you line the marks up and go from there by ear. it should sound slightly marbley when warm and running.There should be a line on the pump and where it mounts. Kent moore made a weird looking timing thing for 6.2s but i don't know anyone who has one or knows how to use it. I always did them by ear. No problems. Did many 6.2s.

1mm inj pump rotation = 2*

Scribe a line across the DB2 and timing cover from the original engine, close to center as possible, which is the upper clamp stud\nut - pull the pump, measure the exact offset of your mark to the stud, mark the new timing cover to that exact point - install the pump on the new timing cover to that mark - you should be within a rch of timed

Crank sprocket timing mark at 12 - cam sprocket at 6 - rotate crank 360*, sprocket mark at 12 - cam sprocket mark at 12 - inj pump drive-gear mark at 12 - inj pump driven-gear mark at 6, aligned with drive-gear mark

Do that stuff and yer good to go.......................

Back