• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to get to the star wheel

D2 Cat

Reaction score
I was going to inspect the rear brakes. How do I get to the star wheel? Do I knock out what looks like a spot at the bottom of the inner housing to get to it? What does it take a hammer and chisel?

Seems kinda odd, this truck has 226K miles and no easy access to the rear brakes?

And, no it is not seized to the axle. The brakes just need to be released some.

Thanks.

Little metal clip covers the access hole, here's a pic
to give you an idea where they would be located, and to
help when you're putting it back together

2009_0321_093232AA.jpg
[/IMG]

I was going to inspect the rear brakes. How do I get to the star wheel? Do I knock out what looks like a spot at the bottom of the inner housing to get to it? What does it take a hammer and chisel?

Seems kinda odd, this truck has 226K miles and no easy access to the rear brakes?

And, no it is not seized to the axle. The brakes just need to be released some.

Thanks.

It comes outward, not inward. Do what it takes to expose the hole.

Yank your e-bake cables to make sure they aren't stuck.

I've read, I've looked, I've studied, but here's what I did.

There's two indented places in the lower part of the brake housing just where the opening ought to be for getting to the star wheel. I looked in Chilton's (and that is like asking someone from Bangladesh how to get to Albuquerque) and they said "remove hub". Then made some mention of taking a chisel and hammer to remove something to get to the wheel!!

I put a chisel in a vice-grip and whacked it with a 2# hammer several times with no give in the metal. I then took a die grinder with a 1/4" dia. carbide cutter and removed that sucker. Got right in there, released the keeper and backed it off.

What I found was a lot of dirty greasy grime. Yep, the seal has given up the ghost. So seals, bearings and more fun.

I've got the grease drained out of the differential, and I'm ready to take that long narrow keeper bolt out and yank the axle.

Any secrets you guys can give me? Does GM have a reputation of the keeper bolt breaking when removing it?

Back