• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

how to freshen up a tired turbo diesel

bird man

Reaction score
my 95 gmc k3500 just dosent have the getup and go that it should.the service engine soon light comes on more often than not when pulling even a slight but long hill. thats bad enough my fuel milage is somewhere around 9 mpg. it also wont start in temps belo 15 degrees f. among other things the electric block heater dosent seem to work. ive had other turbos that always started in much colder temps unassited by block heaters .oh and did i mention the truck has no balls. im thinking about upgrading the turbo and related things like head gskets maybe even injectors and what ever else i should .any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Hi B-Man. Welcome to the truckstop.
The cord for the block heater can be checked with an ohms meter, be sure there is continuity through the two flat terminals of the plug, the round terminal is a ground to the engine block. I have had to replace way more heater cords than heaters.
What is the history for service work that has been done on Your truck ?that would help to determine what the possible causes for poor running conditions might be, how many miles is on the unit ?
What codes is popping on the SEL ?

SES light on = " No Balls" = " Costing you money in fuel to ignore". The ECM does things to save the engine or emmisions equipment with that light on sometimes.

Paper clip can pull codes on a 1995. Could be broke vacuum line or something not holding the turbo WG closed. @MrMarty51 is bang on with same questions we all have to better help.

Yes, plenty of places the engine can be upgraded.

Please describe how you use it, what power vs dollar you are going after. There are some higher power 6.5 engines out there built reliable. But often, more money equals better. If you have $1350 to invest or $13,500 makes a difference- haha.

Back