• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How To: 99-06(07 Classic) Regular Cab Long Overhead Console Install & Information

I have a "00 GMT800 extended cab. I have the long OH console already installed but I was hoping to install the extra long console from a blazer. Those have the dome light and and extra set of map lights attached. Will that console match the roof line? Or are those the ones you stated wont fit without modification?

Okay, I know this is an old thread but it's a great write up and you guys really know what you are doing. I’m trying to add an overhead console with DIC to my 2004 Silverado; I had one in a Venture minivan and loved it. I think I’m the first guy doing this on an 03+ Silverado because everyone says to tap into the necessary wires at the radio but for 03+ trucks don't have RAP, VSS, Led Dimming at the radio, only Class 2 serial data. Can I tap into these at the C1 fuse block? Does anyone know the wire locations? I think I had to tap into VSS there when I added cruise control to my truck. I can get the class 2 serial data from the radio but I would prefer to keep all the wires at the same location if possible.

I planned to get 12v and ground from the overhead dome light; I have 2 wires there, I’m assuming they are 12v and ground. I read something about it being a switched ground and was worried that may cause a problem.

The next little wrinkle is that on the old DIC connector there was a wire for 12v constant power, my DIC may be newer and does not have this wire on the connector. Is the only power going into the DIC the RAP? I tested this by temporarily connecting the RAP on the DIC to the 12v from the dome light and it worked.

Thanks for all the help!

The dic install is only good for 99-02 trucks. All 03+ trucks had a way better dic system within the gauge cluster itself. You need the steering wheel controls to access it and possibly need the computer flashed to turn it on. I'm sure there is a thread around here somewhere.

First of all I want to say this is by far the best clearest and most concise write up on installing the chevy OHC I've found. I know this will be considered by some to be almost blasphemous but I really want to install one of these in a 2000 ford ranger. I have both versions of the computer the one with on/off and the one with mode and I have already mounted the console but I am desperately in need of help with wiring. I would love to be able to use the deluxe version with trip computer, however I would be okay with using the regular model. If you guys could provide some insight and expertise it would greatly appreciated.

I know this is a very old thread, but Im about to install one in my 04 Silverado WT 4x4, and I was wondering if the OP would clarify how to wire the map lights so that they come on with the dome light but also operate independant of the dome light. If ive read correctly, the orange and the black are reversed, and diodes are installed on the white wires between the switch and each light, correct? If not, I guess you may need to speak a little slower;) Also what type of diode? Thanks in advance!

"If you want your map lights to come on with your dome lights yet work individually as well, it's a bit tricky. You have to change the lights to a switched ground

1. Cut the factory wires where they split (both orange and black). You will want to swap the leads going to the map lights with each other (this will make it so the map lights are switched by ground just as the dome lamp).

2. Then you will run a wire from the dome light ground (which is white at the dome light) to your console.

3. Splice a Diode between each switch and each light, and connect both to the white lead. Be sure to keep the diodes leads separated on the console side going to the map lights. Follow the package directions as a diode only allows current flow through one way.

4. If everything works correctly, both map lights will turn on with the dome lights, and work individually with the button. If you have the diode wired the wrong way the switches will turn the dome light on but the dome light won't turn the map lights on. "

"If you want your map lights to come on with your dome lights yet work individually as well, it's a bit tricky. You have to change the lights to a switched ground

1. Cut the factory wires where they split (both orange and black). You will want to swap the leads going to the map lights with each other (this will make it so the map lights are switched by ground just as the dome lamp).

2. Then you will run a wire from the dome light ground (which is white at the dome light) to your console.

3. Splice a Diode between each switch and each light, and connect both to the white lead. Be sure to keep the diodes leads separated on the console side going to the map lights. Follow the package directions as a diode only allows current flow through one way.

4. If everything works correctly, both map lights will turn on with the dome lights, and work individually with the button. If you have the diode wired the wrong way the switches will turn the dome light on but the dome light won't turn the map lights on. "

I read all that but I would like more specific information, such as maybe a diagram, and the type of diode I would need. Thank you.

Just about any 12v diode works, i typically buy this package as they work for everything i've ever needed. https://www.radioshack.com/products/rectifier-diodes?variant=20332040133

As the instructions say, swap power and ground near the plug (two wires). Run the dome light switched ground (one wire) to the console. At this point, you will want to splice the diode into the the wire that runs between each map light and the switch (2 splices, 1 at each light) and connect that to the dome light wiring.

All said and done, the bulbs in the map lights will have constant power running to them, and the switch will now control the ground. The diode protects the ground from backfeeding into the dome light, but allows the dome light ground to turn the map lights on.

Sorry I don't have something more specific for you, and i don't have time to create a wiring diagram right now.

Just about any 12v diode works, i typically buy this package as they work for everything i've ever needed. https://www.radioshack.com/products/rectifier-diodes?variant=20332040133

As the instructions say, swap power and ground near the plug (two wires). Run the dome light switched ground (one wire) to the console. At this point, you will want to splice the diode into the the wire that runs between each map light and the switch (2 splices, 1 at each light) and connect that to the dome light wiring.

All said and done, the bulbs in the map lights will have constant power running to them, and the switch will now control the ground. The diode protects the ground from backfeeding into the dome light, but allows the dome light ground to turn the map lights on.

Sorry I don't have something more specific for you, and i don't have time to create a wiring diagram right now.
20161117_085102.jpg 20161117_085102.jpg
This is what I have. I understand reversing the polarity, but I'm unclear about where/how to place the diodes, and splices.

Thanks for your responses, I'm sorry, its not your explanation, its just that i'm more of a visual learner. I understand the the "why", just not the "how", if that makes sense. Thanks again.

I could also use more clarification on how to wire this up. I've read it at least a dozen times and I'm still not where where to connect the white wire from the dome light. Also, the wire between the switch and the map light gets and the diode spliced in line? Does the line on the diode face the switch or the light?

Here is a diagram I was able to locate. I put the project off for a while, but getting back to it, and I still cant get all the lights to come on with the dome and work the map lights independently.

Attachments

• consolediagram.pdf
    719.9 KB · Views: 18
Back