• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How To: 35w Pin Mod For Single Use 3157 Bulbs

Lastly: When I move the two wires or metal pieces to the same side, does it go back into the socket where there is only 1 metal contact on the side or the two metal sides??? In your above photo, I would venture to say that the two metal wires together go into the socket on the bottom where only one metal tab is? Sorry for the stupid questions. Just trying to clarify for everyone.

Yep, same down here, we got 3 more Days of it.

Did any of it turn to Snow for you Yesterday? It was Snowing right across the Sound in CT.

Yup. No accumulation, but it did come down as snow for a short time. It melted as soon as it hit the ground. It is cold too! Wet, Rainy, Raw and 36 degrees. Fahrenheit for you Canadian's! :D :D :D I know, not cold where you guys are from. :D :D :D :D :D

Nice Write-up. I did this on my 02 awhile ago (at least for the backups since my parking lights dont' have DRLs anymore...... I still need to do that write-up.)

Still waiting for the weather to break to try this.

Yep, I got New Turn Signal Housings, couldn't Wait to put them in, so I did it the other Day in the Rain, now they are Fogging Up. Gotta wait until it Stops Raining, so I can leave them out in the Weather, then put them back in so they don't Fog.

Black Base?

I take it the black base is a led bulb? And were would one get the led variety reverse bulbs ?

Attachments

• Led Reverse Bulb.jpg
    Led Reverse Bulb.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I get all the LED's from V-LEDS.com

Expensive, yes, but Hands Down the Brightest LED's out there, and yes, Brighter than the Halogen Bulbs.

So if I understand this, when the mod is done correctly, the lamp will "always" be lit by one filament when the other burns out. I just replaced one rear brake lamp. Will redo all of the 3157s on the truck. Thanks for sharing!

Either the 27 W filament or the 8 W filament. I think the mod was to get both of them lit when in reverse to get better lighting, instead of having to buy a different bulb.

At least one of the filaments should always be lit though.

Wooohooo!!! Thank you!!! I redid the pins for the reverse bulbs and brake bulbs, but left the parking/turn/hazard bulbs alone. My biggest concern was getting a ticket for a faulty brake lamp, so a dimly lit one when the 27W filament breaks might just buy me time if noticed by a LEO. Sweeeeet...

Think positive! It may also save you from getting struck from behind from another vehicle by keeping you illuminated. Don't just think about the negatives! ;)

Back