• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How To: 35w Pin Mod For Single Use 3157 Bulbs

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
I got Nick (Unit453) interested in my "Pin Mod" I do to my Single Use 3157 Bulbs, so I figured I'd make a How To for it if anyone else would like to do it.

3157 Bulbs have 2 Filaments in them. A 27w Filament and an 8w Filament. Normally, the Filaments are used 1 at a time. The 8w will serve as the Running Light and the 27w will serve as the Turn Signal.

By Single Use, I mean it serves as 1 Function ONLY. As in a Chevy Truck, the DRL and Backup Lights use a 3157 Bulb, but only use it for 1 thing. The DRL's only Function as a DRL, they are not on as a Running Light, they are not on as a Turn Signal. The Reverse Light only Functions as a Reverse Light, it is not used as anything else. So with a 3157 Bulb in that Spot, 1 Filament NEVER gets Lit. Why waste a Filament, and only have 27w of Light Output when you can use BOTH Filaments, and have 35w of Light Output!!

Here is what a Standard 3156 Socket looks like. Notice the 2 Ground Tabs, and only 1 Power Tab. This is because a 3156 Bulb only has 1 Filament. But a Dual Filament 3157 Bulb will fit in it's spot 100% fine, but only the 27w Filament will be Lit, the 8w Filament will stay out because there is no Power Tab on the other side of the Plug to make Contact with the Pin on the Bulb.:
DSC01189.jpg

Here is the Bottom of a Standard 3157 Bulb. Notice the 4 Pins. 2 are Positive, 2 are Ground.:
DSC01188.jpg

What you are going to do is use a Razor Blade and pry up on the Pin that is on the side of the 3157 that is NOT getting Power when it's in the 3156 Plug. You want to pry at the TOP of the Bulb Base. NOT at the Bottom where the Pins come out.

Now wrap that Pin back around to the opposite side of the Bulb Base and join it with the other Pin that IS getting Power. If you do it correct, it will look like this.:
DSC01190.jpg

DSC01191.jpg

Now just pop the Bulb back into the Plug, put everything back together and you are done. Enjoy 35w of Lighting Power instead of a measly 27w. :)

To verify it is done correctly, turn on the Light and look to see if BOTH Filaments are now Lighted. If they are, you've done it correctly.

Man, thats awesome. Thats what I'm doing tomorrow. Thanks for a great write up. I think I'll stick this.

One question:

Pry the pins up on the outer set or the inner set from the 3157?

The DRL housings tend to heat up quite a bit. They get heat scars on the top of the inside of the reflectors. I'm not sure if there's a way to clean them out or not to keep the reflectors clean and shiny to provide the best possible light reflection. I've heard (or read) that you can put a cloth inside there to wipe it out but it seems like a royal pain in the ass so I never bothered. Also, I never run my DRL's in the day time here since the sun is always blazing away. I've gotten in the habit of turning them off the second I start the truck. In dusk conditions or cloudy weather, I'll run them but for some reason, I still have heat scars. This is from running 1 filament too. I wonder how much more heat the stock bulbs can take but considering, they're like 2 bucks, who cares.

I'm gonna try this tomorrow and post pictures of the results. Thanks for doing this brother.

Before I had the LED's in there, I was running the Rainbow Silverstars "Pinned" for about 6 Months and didn't have much Hazing at all. A simple swipe with a Rag stuffed in there cleaned it right up.

Cool, so which pins do you pry up, the inner or outer set? If I'm thinking right, its gonna be the set thats not charred...Every set I've taken outta there were always burnt to a crisp. This was on my 04 GMC so those did run for many years. My ambers I have in there now went in the day I picked up the truck on the dealership lot.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

The first picture shows the stock bulb to the left (pass. side) and the modded bulb to the right. It isnt much difference, but there is a difference.

Attachments

• HPIM1231.jpg
    HPIM1231.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 83
  • HPIM1233.jpg
    HPIM1233.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 68
  • HPIM1235.jpg
    HPIM1235.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 71
Holy Cow. I went and tried this and WOW. Very bright I would say. Very easy to mod and wish I knew about this long time ago.

Forget the bulbs, whos that in your avatar .. ):h

Thats a great idea! I'm gonna have to try this also. Nick, which pins are they? inside or outside? Thanks

So I dont know my bulb types, but this should work on my old trucks? Right/wrong/maybe?

Thats a great idea! I'm gonna have to try this also. Nick, which pins are they? inside or outside? Thanks

I asked the same question but once you look at it, you'll understand that there's only 1 way to do it.

Back