• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How thick is your Aluminum Radiator ?

How thick is your Aluminum Rad ?

• 1 1/4 Inches thick 2 row

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 2 1/8 Inches thick 2 row

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Just want some data. My burb is the first 6.5TD that had a 2 1/8 thick 2 row core. it is the same thickness as a Copper 4 core. My 93 and all my others only had a 1 1/4 thick 2 row. This is for aluminum rads only.
Sorry Canadians and others, I'm not sure what that works out to in Metric.

OK, good stuff. So my 93 is an oddball. The 93 should have a Copper one factory anyway so someone cheaped out along the way somewhere.

2 1/8th" thick, 2 row, 7/8ths" wide tubes is what was my origional radiator. Currently have a copper/brass rad that I think is four row.

Don

I don't really know. I don't have a base line to compare to.

I bought this truck as a rebuilder, which included a damaged rad. I did temporarily patch it with JB Weld and drove it only for short runs and only for a short time before finding the used but in good condition copper/brass rad.

Last summer I did have cooling problems with the copper/brass rad. This brought on the swap to DMax fan, Heath fan clutch, and the 2000 balanced flow pump. But by this time the summer was almost gone so my only towing with this combo has been during cooler weather. I succesfully towed for deer hunting in October, but the temps were in the 60s to low 70s.

Talking to somebody at Heaths they claim that these diesels don't do as well with the copper/brass rads. I wish I had the money to get a new aluminum rad to be able to use for comparison. I had no cooling problems with local driving, even when it still had the stock 94 pump, fan and clutch, just with towing when I had hills to go up.

I haven't done any towing yet this summer. But it has been a very cool and wet summer so far for us, mostly in the mid 70s. I do have two family reunions coming up in early August to tow to, one of which will involve going over the Coast Range hills, so we'll see what happens.

Don

for whatever it's worth, I questioned the copper/brass vs. aluminum when I got my radiator and was told the aluminum 2 core is more efficient for cooling than the older 4 core copper design. Since I replaced mine, I've not had cooling issues.

I had 2 blown head gaskets on my 6.5, and even with that it never overheated with the 2 1/8 radiator. I did have a 97 high flow pump, DMAX fan blade, and low temp fan clutch with it. I've still got my almost brand new 6.5 radiator out in the shed.

So I guess I am screwed! LOL My old copper rad was rotten so the rad shop replaced it with a alum 1 1/4 one and said it was better. So far it runs @ 165 not towing and 185-190 towing in 95 plus heat but I am in the flatlands and have only towed 15 miles one way with about 6500 lbs including two horses and the gooseneck itself.

They should have sold you the bigger one but remember we are talking Turbo'ed trucks. Yours is not(although it could be very easily...:D ).

Dont think I am engineer enough for a turbo!!!! Cowboy here, weak in the head! LOL But If I may say so I think I have a radiator solution.......Why couldnt u put a huge tractor trailer type radiator up against the bed of the truck? There is a godawful bunch of wind back there when u r moving and its a absolute tornado effect when u have a gooseneck back there, I have seen some amazing things take flight in the bed @ 75 mph. Could the pump pump thru both radiators???? Shoot u could use the thin alum rad yall have and just have a auxilary and put a enclosure around it and only lose a few inches of ur bed.

Think that is a bit much. BTW Putting a turbo on your truck is a tit job. You have a late model 6.2 with a GMT400 Body. It's almost a bolt on app. Find a used setup off a 6.5TD , turn your IP up a little and break some shit...:D

The smaller rad is the "Aftermarket Industry"......They will tell you both sizes fit (and they do) and they charge more for the larger unit...

Order a rad from the dealer, there is only 1 unit.

Actually I am wondering if the smaller one is for the GMT400/6.2 diesel. The one in my 93 has an Oil cooler in it(not being used) and the tranny cooler is on the pass side...Interesting...

My 6.2 had a huge copper radiator with a external oil cooler and no transmission cooler. I think GM took all the parts left over one day and made my truck!!!!! Gotta take a load of goats to a farm 80 miles away on interstate 95 tomoro and bring back a load of sheep! First true tow with my truck, there are lots of long grades, not steep but long uphill, if yall have jinxed me I am gonna hunt u down.

I will be the other, Griffin Radiator 34 x 20.88 inch core 2 row 1.25" tubes up to 600 hp. That hp rating is going to hold me back!!::rof:

Hey BBB82 wanna go to Linden tomoro? I promise to have my cell phone charged up! Better yet I got a two horse bumper pull trailer. We can hook it to ur rig and test it before mine by gettin the livestock moved with urs! LOL

Back