• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How often do you wear sunscreen when you work outside?

How often do you wear sunscreen when you work outside?

• Always

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Only if I know I'll be in direct sunlight.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Never

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters

CtChevy427

Still Kicking....
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score

1. Always
2. Sometimes
3. Only if I know I'll be in direct sunlight.
4. Never

Always looking for poll ideas post them HERE or send me a PM.......

One of the beautys of having indian in me is I don't really burn. Even when I dod get burnt, the next day it normally turns brown and I'm good to go.

I try and wear it most times and a hat too. I have plenty of damage from burning every summer at the lake as a kid.

I generally don't burn unless I really stay out in the sun for 6 or 7 hours...and then it's maybe a mild one and am more tan the next day...now that is only when wearing shorts and a shirt... but if I stay out more than a couple hours without a mild sunscreen when I expose my farmer john t shirt tan then I'll burn and tan, burn and tan until the t shirt look is gone...don't get exposure for a while and lighten up? then it's back to burn and tan burn and tan...and I'm good again...

Yeah, I have a farmer landscaper tan white
Feet and t shirt area tanned arms and legs
I sometimes try and use lower number screens on white areas to even out tan if I can wear something I don't burn too bad but with nothing will burn until I get a base tan.

I should all the time but don't if I'm gonna be sweating like a pig. I use Bullfrog 36 or 50. I've had quite a few cancers removed and have regular 6 mo appointments with the skin doc (every April and Oct the last 15 or so years) to freeze off the pre-cancerous stuff.

I learned years ago that Sunscreen is a ripoff, a deception to SELL you a fear-based product.
For centuries, humans avoided the effects of solar radiation with hats and clothing. Now in this scientific age, we see few people wearing widw brim hats and long sleeves in the sun, and deaths from malignant melanomas have skyrocketed. We're so smart it's killing us.
Look at any picture of an outdoor meeting from the 1940s and older, everybody wore hats. They give you shade in the sun, protection from the snow and rain, ... oh never mind.
I had melanoma in 1980. I lived the sun soaked good life surfing, water skiing, etc... I'm a fortunate cancer survivor, I learned my lesson.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Epidemiologist Marianne Berwick of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York carefully laid out the data on sunscreen use and skin cancer at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Philadelphia last February.

She included 10 studies of melanoma, the skin cancer that gets the most attention because of its virulent nature. Melanoma often develops in or near moles on the skin. In later stages, such cancer can be lethal because of its tendency to spread throughout the body.

In five of the studies, people who used sunscreen were more likely than nonusers to develop melanoma. In three studies, including one done by Berwick, no association appeared between sunscreen use and melanoma. In two studies, people who used sunscreen seemed to be protected.
http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc98/6_6_98/bob1.htm

I burn way too easy. 10 minutes in direct sun and I'm glowing red. SPF 50, the waterproof kind on my ears, nose, neck, legs, and arms. Plus sunglasses and a wide brim hat. I never go outside without a shirt on (besides burning easy, the world is better off with me having a shirt on :D )

I always used Coppertone Cocoa butter. In my younger day I used to weld without a shirt if it was hot. A thick coating of Cocoa butter prevented the burn and acted as a spark repellant also.
Banana Boat seemed to work too.
One time I was out of the stuff I used and the wife had some runny SPF 50 stuff. That was like spark enhancer. Every little spark burned twice as bad.

I've turned allergic to a whole bunch of stuff the past several years. Including a lot of sunscreens. Seems the higher the SPF the more I react.
The good old reliable cocoa butter stuff that doesn't bother me, seems hard to find.

For my face I use Vanicream SPF 30. My dermatologist recommended it. Its "preservative / color / fragarance free" and the mildest stuff I have found. Too bad its not waterproof. I have to buy it at a local family owned pharmacy.

I never had no need for any, if i happen to burn i stayed out in the sun to long,...good reminder to keep a shirt on.
Legs are always hidden in jeans and a straw hat protects the roof tile.

I put it on my legs and back on the rare occasion that I go on the water. Also, this new job requires long sleeve shirts so I started the summer by putting some on my hands and neck till I could get an actual tan on my arms, and then I stopped.

I use a bronzer, whatever that means, but usually dont use anything, although I should given my geographic location.

In the Beginning of the Season I'll Wear it when I'm out on the Water, but by June I'm Tan enough that I don't need it anymore.

My first wife died from Melanoma 16 yrs ago and you know I never use the darn stuff as I work as a welder and so I always have on long sleeves and pants to stay covered. When I go to work in the yard, same thing but if I go out and relaxe I put on a large brimmed hat to protect as much of my bald head I can and then just enjoy the sun. But I have been know to burn and peel a few times.

My Mom lived to within one week of her 99th birthday but she had to deal with skin cancer on her nose and I took her to the Oncologist for her treatments.. In my earlier years when I thought I was Bullet Proof I spent a lot of time in the sun and really abused my body. I was really ignorant of health care during my first five decades on the planet

I now use sunscreen, long sleeve shirts, big floppy hats, a Nozcone for my nose and lots of sunscreen in the summer. I still enjoy the outdoors but I have a lot of projects that take time and money and want to spend it on them and not some cancer if I can prevent it.

Did you know that the skin is one of the organs of the body. Just like the heart, kidneys, liver, etc are organs. To much damage to the skin organ will get you out of here just as quick as one of the other organs being damaged.

Enjoy the Journey!!!

Back